Pizzeria by Smash Kettle Pizza attachment

Please post here any info in relation to BBQ product suppliers.
Company "ads" allowed as long as they pertain to BBQ-ing
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

I went to Bunnings yesterday to grab a Looflighter(West Gosford,Tuggerah & Lakehaven are out of stock) and on the way out I noticed these-
I couldn't believe it at first as I've been after one for ages but because of the price I haven't bothered buying one
But the price on these is great-
There is not a lot of info on the box or any instructions . It just says suits kettle style bbq's
It looked about the right size for a Weber so I took a chance and bought one.
I got home and tried it for size.....Dam!!!! It didn't fit
It didn't matter how I tried it was too small by about 7mm
Maybe it was just the one I bought so I headed back to Bunnings, kettle bowl in tow and proceeded to try ever ring on the kettle bowl (there was about 20 on a pallet). None of them fit!!!! So I decided to try the ring on the other kettles they had on display. European chef didn't fit, Wiltshire didn't fit, Jumbuck fit but it was too big so there was a 5-10mm gap around the rim. So I'm thinking which kettle BBQ was it designed for??? Spoke to lady at the front desk and after my 5min spiel her eyes were glazed over and it was obvious she had no answers and didn't care. I took my refund and left
Got home and thought I would contact the company to see what they had to say.
I shot off an email , messaged them on Facebook and then decided to ring. I spoke to a manager who explained that bunnings had told them to design it for the Jumbuck because it was their best seller. I told him how it didn't fit and if they designed it for a Weber Kettle they would sell like hot cakes. He replied with -but jumbuck is their best seller to which I replied the jumbucks are a POS BBQ and anyone who spends under $50 on a BBQ ain't gonna spend $50 on a pizza attachment( apologies to anyone with a Jumbuck)
He ended up telling me to get a refund
So to anyone looking at getting one 'Don't Bother' they don't fit which is a shame because the design is pretty good and they look great.
Viva La Charcoal Revolution
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
Narmnaleg

Re: Pizzeria by Smash Kettle Pizza attachment

Post by Narmnaleg »

Thanks for the heads up Hogsy. What a shame, I would definitely have bought one if it fitted a Weber kettle.
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

Me too.

Crazy market research, Weber kettles would be by far the biggest selling in the country, "Weber" and "Kettle" are synonymous.

I'd never even really taken much notice of Jumbuck, but you are right $50 to convert a Weber, sensible investment, same to convert a Jumbuck, ridiculous.

Hopefully they see the error of their ways, says something for Bunnings though that Jumbucks are out-selling Weber there, self-service society...

Cheers
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

Yes I chatted to the manager for 10mins and tried to explain it to him but he was more concerned about what Bunnings wanted. I don't think Bunnings sells Weber products anymore
It's a shame they didn't design it like the original kettle pizza where you can adjust the size using nuts and bolts on one side of it. That way it would fit any kettle BBQ
Nath

Post by Nath »

What a shame I got excited at the start of this thread! Your right a simple wing nut and bolt and slotted hole design would simply and easily cater for slightly different kettles. Fools!

Nath
Nath
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

I must admit not been in a Bunnings since Masters, who do sell Weber opened here so fully possible Weber have dropped Bunnings in favour of the competition.

An adjustable would indeed make much more sense.

Cheers
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Hogsy, Could it be flanged with a ball pain and an anvil?
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

Smokey wrote:Hogsy, Could it be flanged with a ball pain and an anvil?
Hmmm.... Not sure. The top has a rolled lip and the bottom has rim very similar to the new style roti ring
The lid sat on ok it was just fitting it to the bowl that wouldn't work
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Had a look at one today....does not fit a single kettle they had on display.

Over engineered with a rolled lip top and bottom.

Real ones sit inside the kettle rim. if they had done that it be a great seller!........but now all they can do is mark it down to a third of the price and put a sticker on it "Fits Jumbuck Kettle ONLY"...they should have put it in a Jumbuck box!

There will be so many returned after Fathers Day.

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

I don't see the point in them anyway. A well designed pizza oven has the heat radiating from above. The kettle has the fire below the stone, which gets to hot and then the heat goes out the opening. Waste of money in my opinion.
Nath

Post by Nath »

Gumb wrote:I don't see the point in them anyway. A well designed pizza oven has the heat radiating from above. The kettle has the fire below the stone, which gets to hot and then the heat goes out the opening. Waste of money in my opinion.
I've made up a Frankenstein one of these way back on an old cheap kettle.
Works quiet well with a wood fire burning in the back of the kettle. Top vent closed. I cut a large piece of granite to cover all but 1/4 of the rear of the grill. So heat would build in top of kettle lid then out the opening. Cooked pizza well, got a kamado now though ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Nath
Jars

Post by Jars »

Bloody hell Hogsy, get me all excited thinking an affordable pizza option had came along, and then shoot me down!
urbangriller wrote:but now all they can do is mark it down to a third of the price and put a sticker on it "Fits Jumbuck Kettle ONLY"...they should have put it in a Jumbuck box!

Hmmm, Hopefully they don't sell well, I'd take one for ~$20 and modify it to fit.
Yoder YS480 || Weber OTS Premium || Weber Go Anywhere || Weber Jumbo Joe || Keg Spit || 'Golden Moth' UDS
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

Even though I'm still pissed it didn't fit my kettle or any other kettle I've got to say I think the design is great. It felt a lot sturdier than the original kettle pizza ring that is sold for over $200 and I think if they got the design and measurements right there would be a market for them.
Gumb you could be right about about not being a proper pizza oven but that's the whole point it's not trying to be a pizza oven it's merely an accessory for a kettle BBQ to pump out some great pizzas and I've seen some great pizzas come off a kettle using a similar accessory.
The fact that a non BBQ company is even considering manufacturing and selling accessories for charcoal BBQ's is promising. Yes they didn't get it quite right but maybe they'll see there mistakes and try and improve. There's obviously a market there and who knows they could start making the rotisserie attachment for a kettle at a reasonable price too or the Ribolator or the kebab ring etc etc
It would be nice if there was a cheaper option for accessories in Australia instead of having to pay the high prices we do now
Nath I've got to agree , the kamado sure does produce some quality pizzas
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Actually, the instructions are the only bit they copied properly:

Most people use a wood fire in the back as it is hotter than Beads or Charcoal. I have not tried it, but robot Turds would probably go well!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

Well this is promising, I received this email from Smash
Looks like some companies still listen to their customers
Hi Joel,
This product was designed according to Specifications, to fit the Jumbuck Kettle BBQ, that is sold in Bunnings. As you are aware all Kettle BBQs are slightly different dimensions.
Due to the interest in this product, Smash should be developing a model to fit the Webber Kettle in the near future, please keep an eye on our Website for updates to this information,
Thanks you for your support of Smash Products,
Regards,
The Smash Team