Maverick ET-7 problems

Please post here any info in relation to BBQ product suppliers.
Company "ads" allowed as long as they pertain to BBQ-ing
Johninperth

Maverick ET-7 problems

Post by Johninperth »

Hi All,
I recently purchased the Maverick dual probe and have had both probes die on me. The temp is stuck on "HHH". I have taken the batteries out of the transmitter and receiver and still nothing. I assume it has something to do with me leaving the probes in the meat? I was under the impression they could be left in the meat whist grilling, otherwise what is the point. Is there any suggestions about my current unit, or should I look at something more durable?

Thank you
Hogsy

Re: Maverick ET-7 problems

Post by Hogsy »

How recently did you purchase it?
Where did you purchase it?
I have a used and abused 732 and find sometimes you need to play around with connection ie pull it in out , twist it
Other than that you might be up for some new probes
Viva La Charcoal Revolution
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

They are meant for low and slow and at best , roasting temps. Not grilling. Use a pen probe for that.
Even with roasting care needs to be taken not to run cable out over flame and use a little foil to shield excessive direct heat. They are not flame proof.
I can't tell you how many times I've read this same problem only to find it was heat or the washing up that killed the probes.
Getting A HHH message may mean to read the instructions and see what that means.
I always forget what to start up first , The sender or receiver but just throwing that out there to.
Of course I'm not telling how to suck eggs as I've no idea from the info given what you are doing.
But I've seen probes melted and the user ask what you asked.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Johninperth

Post by Johninperth »

Smokey Mick wrote:They are meant for low and slow and at best , roasting temps. Not grilling. Use a pen probe for that.
Even with roasting care needs to be taken not to run cable out over flame and use a little foil to shield excessive direct heat. They are not flame proof.
I can't tell you how many times I've read this same problem only to find it was heat or the washing up that killed the probes.
Getting A HHH message may mean to read the instructions and see what that means.
I always forget what to start up first , The sender or receiver but just throwing that out there to.
Of course I'm not telling how to suck eggs as I've no idea from the info given what you are doing.
It was working fine, then I inserted it into the lamb and noticed the HHH reading on the receiver. There may have been a flare up in the BBQ that could potentially touch the probe.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Johninperth wrote:
Smokey Mick wrote:They are meant for low and slow and at best , roasting temps. Not grilling. Use a pen probe for that.
It was working fine, then I inserted it into the lamb and noticed the HHH reading on the receiver. There may have been a flare up in the BBQ that could potentially touch the probe.
A touch of flame maybe but maybe not, It's just too hard to gadge. Just make contact from where you bought it from and start the political process of replacement .
I do believe the 7 is the lower end model ? Like the weber jobbies? Or do you have the top of line 732 .
Regardless They are ,,,, as seems be the best that man kind has come up with. It does annoy me when I read of problems like this and Maverick really should pull their arse into gear .
I got around it by training myself to trust my fire and use a UK thermopen for spot checking.
In saying that, I Could not of got to this proficiently without some long term use of an auto probe. They teach you a hell of a lot. Not so much when the meats done but how your CUE behaves. I eventually threw out the probes and just trust the cue given the perimeters it requires.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Card Shark

Post by Card Shark »

Sounds like those probes just got too hot with direct heat. (Above 400 F). Easy to do and fix. CS
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Yep, that sounds like cooked probes.

Always protect the probe wires from the direct flame.....just put some folded foil on the grill under the probe wire, that'll protect it from most flareups.

Also be careful with the wires, never pull the wire and watch out for kinks.

Clean the probes carefully with a dry scourer, don't let moisture get into the probe.....A knob of silicone where the wire enters the probe can help this.

Whoever you bought it from should have replacement probes, although it might not be worth it for an ET7. The probe for the ET7 or ET73 is different to the one for the ET732/733, they are not interchangeable.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hi John,
I find the "Thermapen" a lot more versatile & easier to use than all these other probes.

Just my opinion, but you really only need a Thermapen for all your Grilling, Roasting & Low & Slow & from what I've seen a lot more reliable. They are about a 2-3 second read and I think Chris ( UG ) sells them.

I use the new Backlit model which is excellent.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Dave
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
Importing Louisiana Pellet Grills into Australia
http://www.louisiana-grills-australia.com.au/
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
Johninperth

Post by Johninperth »

Thanks for the advice guys. I like the idea of being able to leave a roast on the bbq and enjoy a game of footy without having to leave my armchair. I have another probe on its way out, so I will evaluate wether I need to take another option after testing it. I'll make sure to use done alfoil this time!
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Johninperth wrote:Thanks for the advice guys. I like the idea of being able to leave a roast on the bbq and enjoy a game of footy without having to leave my armchair. I have another probe on its way out, so I will evaluate wether I need to take another option after testing it. I'll make sure to use done alfoil this time!
Try cutting up a BBQ drip pan for more permenant Heat Shields.

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!