Electrical & Saftey Compliance and RCM Certification

Please post here any info in relation to BBQ product suppliers.
Company "ads" allowed as long as they pertain to BBQ-ing
urbangriller

Re: Electrical & Saftey Compliance and RCM Certification

Post by urbangriller »

Um...I'm not the distributor of the product, its just my photo of the back on one of the grills.

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Ignor, Just more Grilp roll:
from memory, those GMG , and Yoders were fresh off the boat. And compliance was a scatter F.
Water under the bridge now. ,,, Really,
Social media is a bitch and can bite. not sure this is a place we want to go.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
yakabot

Post by yakabot »

Even I don't see how emc man just "stumbled" across the forum???
I'd almost mark it as spam?
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Yeah guys...I'm kinda seeing this as fishy spam as well.......he joined here yesterday 6/11/14 and he made this post today 7/ 11 /14 mentioning UG about the BBQs he sells and that there's something wrong with his compliance sticker, then lo & behold he joined Pitmasters (thanks to our member who reported it) and this same person whoever he is, joins up Pitmasters today the 7th and not doing the same speil, but praising GP's company for quality products...Yes there's definately a rat in the ranks.
I don't mind if someone writes something like it is here but should not target anyone in particular, if there was an issue with one of UG's products, then he should've been contacted directly and not mentioned on a public forum so for that I shall split this post and put it away.

here is the post on pitmasters..http://www.aussiepitmasters.com.au/view ... =20#p11907

See the difference...I wonder who put this person up to it..without pointing specific fingers.

Anyway...I shall move the OP's post but if anyone needs a copy via PM I can send it on to you.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Muppet

Post by Muppet »

You know I find it astounding this kind of thing happens in such a above the board genuinly legal forum... Another forum I frequent is more hush hush and one would think easier to target tho does not suffer these problems...
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi
Grill Pro Australia

Post by Grill Pro Australia »

Regarding the post in question ( please see Davo's post below )

We had no knowledge of the author or his posts prior to this morning, so for members to post that it was us is just plain incorrect & actually non factual.

I'm still not exactly sure who the author is, although I do have my suspicions.

I have said on many occasions that I think it is great that we have both GMG & Traeger here in Australia & I mean it.

Saying all that, I do advise potential customers information regarding Australian Electrical & Safety Compliance & EMC for products imported into Australia.

If anyone needs more information, please PM or email me.

Cheers, Dave
Last edited by Grill Pro Australia on Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, BBQr's Delight Pellets, Hammer Stahl Knives and American Rubs & Sauces into Australia
https://www.yodersmokers.net.au/
https://bbqrsdelight.net.au//
Instagram: @GRILL_PRO
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

This is a slightly edited version of the post that was removed this morning due to one of our Vendors being mentioned and we as Mods didn't think in this context should NOT have been posted that way.This is the original without the last sentence. I also beleive the above post by GP to be true and he had no knowledge of the origin of the post or poster.

Select:

Electrical & Saftey Compliance and RCM Certification

Post Posted Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:34 pm by EMC MAN
Hi guys,

I stumbled across this forum and just wanted to take some time to help clarify some of the points to the RCM Australian requirements:

The RCM a new product labelling and supplier database system commenced in March 2013. The existing C-Tick and A-tick compliance marks will be phased out by March 2016, to be consolidated with one single compliance mark, known as the RCM - Regulatory Compliance Mark.

The new Electrical Regulatory Authorities Council (ERAC) Electrical Equipment Safety System (EESS) commenced on the same date. This system also uses the RCM.

The result of these regulatory changes from the ACMA and ERAC is that the RCM will indicate a products compliance with all applicable Australian regulatory requirements, namely:

Telecommunications
Radiocommunications
EMC
EME/EMR
Electrical safety

In a BBQ's case only the EMC and electrical safety would apply, in addition to any other saftey compliance that may be applicable to the unit.

All suppliers must register on a new national database and there is no longer a requirement to include supplier identification on product labelling.

ACMA arrangements

Arrangements apply to new suppliers (not registered on the existing ACMA supplier database). New suppliers must register on the new database and label products with the RCM to indicate compliance with applicable ACMA requirements
From the 1st March 2016 the arrangements will apply to all suppliers. Current suppliers (registered on the existing ACMA database) have three years to register on the new database and implement the RCM labeling.

During the transitional period the following also applies:

Existing suppliers can continue to use the C-Tick or A-Tick marks
Products do not require re-labeling, existing marks are acceptable for labeling and supply

The new system does not affect testing, record-keeping and evidential requirements as set out in the relevant labeling notices.

ERAC arrangements

The RCM is the only compliance mark for products within the scope of the Electrical Equipment Safety System (EESS).

New suppliers must register on the new database and label applicable products with the RCM
The arrangements will apply to all suppliers after a six month transition.

Lots more information can be found on most good Australian testing laboratories websites such as: http://www.emcbayswater.com.au/FAQs.html
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

From what I can read EMC Man is just trying to get their company name out there and is drumming up business. They do compliance testing.
Can I suggest that you delete him as being a spammer.

Members
The compliance issue is resolved and now dead and buried. If you need to discuss compliance talk to the importer or distributor direct about their own products, do it by phone or email. Don't get 2nd or 3rd hand info invariably it is not complete or entirely correct.

Captain
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Captain Cook wrote: Members
The compliance issue is resolved and now dead and buried. If you need to discuss compliance talk to the importer or distributor direct about their own products, do it by phone or email. Don't get 2nd or 3rd hand info invariably it is not complete or entirely correct.

Captain
Although the above post may sound like a some sort of a formal directive, it is not. Captain Cook is not a moderator or administrator in this forum, it's just his opinion.
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Gumb wrote:
Captain Cook wrote: Members

Captain
Although the above post may sound like a some sort of a formal directive, it is not. Captain Cook is not a moderator or administrator in this forum, it's just his opinion.
Gumb
Thanks for clarifying my advice to the members. I am sure that they understand that I hold no official position on this forum. It does not say moderator or administrator in my signature. There is misinformation being bandied around so MY advice it to talk to the importer/distributor direct if you are concerned.

Captain
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Phil, your advice is fine and is welcomed but it was just the manner in which it was put that needed clarifying.
fleetz

Post by fleetz »

What compliance issue has been resolved?

EMC Man post appears to be a statement of fact with respect to where EMC and Electrical safety is now and where it is heading in the foreseeable future for ALL electrical and electronic product manufactured here and imported...not just BBQs. Having lived in that compliance environment for well over 12 years when I had my business I understand and respect what our government has set out to achieve. Controlled clean spectrums and electrical safety...the later duty of care.

We were years behind countries that embraced EMC and Safety compliance and as a result we became a dumping ground for non compliant product. I spent years having to compete in that environment until there was a phased in compliance regime here in Australia.....the first C Tick. Even then non compliant products would continue appearing......least the ACMA if they discovered or were made aware of it would police it. Our system here in Australia is still not tight unlike Europe.

In Europe if you knowing manufacture or import products into the EU that are not fully CE ( the European CE one not the Chinese Export CE) compliance there are potential prison sentences and or significant fines. As should be the case.

The cost to compliance is not cheap, I spent tens of thousands of dollars on test and measurement equipment, testing, PCB respins, more testing, R&D engineering, compliance documentation, administration, marking etc etc but believe it was beneficial to our country.

To me electrical safety is king. For over 40 years I have been involved in electrical safety in some form or another. When I began manufacturing 20 years ago our design safety around the mains input side was never compromised, all about safety at whatever cost. Looked inside some competing imported products when the opportunity existed and what I saw in some freaked me out.

I regret to say that we still today we still have serious safety issues on imported products. I was made aware awhile back about 240V to USB adapters being the cause unfortunately of a death of a Sydney woman. I had purchases some USB adapters off eBay earlier in the year purporting to be Apple products. They work fine but when I saw the report of Sydney ladies death I looked into what I actually had purchased off eBay.

Comparing an original Apple and the eBay unit labelling was similar CE, UL (Underwriters Laboratories), FCC etc etc. however I then realised it was one of the fakes. Heck they even use the real CE European mark. There were tons of links on the internet showing how to differentiate between real and fakes, should have delved there before buying! I decided immediately to stop using them and out of curiosity got my dermal out and sectioned one open......I was bloody horrified. If any forum member has these PLEASE PLEASE unplug them destroy them (so no one else can use them) and bin them.

http://www.cnet.com/news/warning-over-f ... ter-death/

We should not be dismissive about electrical safety as I said for me it is king. We should not shoot the messenger EMC Man for clarifying what we should all be aware of. I don't care if it is a TV, iron, toaster or BBQ (or USB adaptor).......it's about safety.

Fleetz
Yoder YS640 on comp cart, Grill Grates for the YS640, Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5, CyberQ WiFi Controller, Maverick ET-732, Maverick ET-733, Thermapen, Weber Q 320, A-MAZ-N 6" and 12" tubes
Grill Pro Australia

fleetz wrote:What compliance issue has been resolved?

EMC Man post appears to be a statement of fact with respect to where EMC and Electrical safety is now and where it is heading in the foreseeable future for ALL electrical and electronic product manufactured here and imported...not just BBQs. Having lived in that compliance environment for well over 12 years when I had my business I understand and respect what our government has set out to achieve. Controlled clean spectrums and electrical safety...the later duty of care.

We were years behind countries that embraced EMC and Safety compliance and as a result we became a dumping ground for non compliant product. I spent years having to compete in that environment until there was a phased in compliance regime here in Australia.....the first C Tick. Even then non compliant products would continue appearing......least the ACMA if they discovered or were made aware of it would police it. Our system here in Australia is still not tight unlike Europe.

In Europe if you knowing manufacture or import products into the EU that are not fully CE ( the European CE one not the Chinese Export CE) compliance there are potential prison sentences and or significant fines. As should be the case.

The cost to compliance is not cheap, I spent tens of thousands of dollars on test and measurement equipment, testing, PCB respins, more testing, R&D engineering, compliance documentation, administration, marking etc etc but believe it was beneficial to our country.

To me electrical safety is king. For over 40 years I have been involved in electrical safety in some form or another. When I began manufacturing 20 years ago our design safety around the mains input side was never compromised, all about safety at whatever cost. Looked inside some competing imported products when the opportunity existed and what I saw in some freaked me out.

I regret to say that we still today we still have serious safety issues on imported products. I was made aware awhile back about 240V to USB adapters being the cause unfortunately of a death of a Sydney woman. I had purchases some USB adapters off eBay earlier in the year purporting to be Apple products. They work fine but when I saw the report of Sydney ladies death I looked into what I actually had purchased off eBay.

Comparing an original Apple and the eBay unit labelling was similar CE, UL (Underwriters Laboratories), FCC etc etc. however I then realized it was one of the fakes. Heck they even use the real CE European mark. There were tons of links on the internet showing how to differentiate between real and fakes, should have delved there before buying! I decided immediately to stop using them and out of curiosity got my dermal out and sectioned one open......I was bloody horrified. If any forum member has these PLEASE PLEASE unplug them destroy them (so no one else can use them) and bin them.

http://www.cnet.com/news/warning-over-f ... ter-death/

We should not be dismissive about electrical safety as I said for me it is king. We should not shoot the messenger EMC Man for clarifying what we should all be aware of. I don't care if it is a TV, iron, toaster or BBQ (or USB adaptor).......it's about safety.

Fleetz
Very well said Fleetz, From what I have learned, the compliance issue is far from resolved & certainly shouldn't be buried.

From the information that I have just learned, I believe there is about to be a massive recall of one of the brands of Chinese built pellet grills in another country due to false labeling of "CE" issue.

Only a few years ago another pellet grill brand had a massive recall in Canada.

I agree with Captain 100%, if you are looking at purchasing, don't always believe what you read on compliance labels, you definitely should ask the importer or distributor for written proof of Australian EMC, Electrical & Safety Compliance & investigate the authenticity before purchase yourself.

If anyone would like more information on any of the above, please feel free to PM me.

Cheers, Dave
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, BBQr's Delight Pellets, Hammer Stahl Knives and American Rubs & Sauces into Australia
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

fleetz wrote:We should not shoot the messenger EMC Man for clarifying what we should all be aware of.

Fleetz
We aren't shooting anyone and if the message from EMC man was the same in both forums it would not have raised the suspicions that it did. Our concerns were not about the message as much as the reason it was posted here and in pit masters. It was also done without any introduction or other input of any kind.
Grill Pro Australia

Gumb wrote:We aren't shooting anyone and if the message from EMC man was the same in both forums it would not have raised the suspicions that it did. Our concerns were not about the message as much as the reason it was posted here and in pit masters. It was also done without any introduction or other input of any kind.
Yeah, I'm not sure Gumb. I sent him a PM yesterday to try to find out who he is.

He posted this one on Pitmasters in the morning http://www.aussiepitmasters.com.au/view ... =20#p11907 & the post on this forum in the afternoon.

Cheers, Dave
Grill Pro Australia