Favourite knife

Please post here any info in relation to BBQ product suppliers.
Company "ads" allowed as long as they pertain to BBQ-ing
Basher

Favourite knife

Post by Basher »

I really do love a good knife.
Just purchased a Miyabi 5000DP. One of the lower end models within their Damascus steel range. It really is a beautiful looking knife and only time will tell how it performs.
What knife do you favour?
Shape?
Brand?
Steel composition?
Handle?
I have struggled to keep the edge up to Scanpan knives and found the Victorinox is much easier to keep an edge and sharpen when it dulls.
What makes a perfect knife? For me its the impossible dream..... The edge stays sharp, and its easy to sharpen, its gotta handle a bit of rough treatment, bone, boards, plates and still be able to fillet or slice through flesh. And of course it must feel comfortable in your hand.
Have you found this knife?
You will never know until you have a go!
Nath

Favourite knife

Post by Nath »

:D I think your in dream land if you want to keep and edge against bone and plates!
Your best bet would be to whetstone sharpen/polish the edge. Best way to keep an edge, and samurai sharp.
I'm sure others will chime in here :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nath
Buccaneer

Re: Favourite knife

Post by Buccaneer »

If you're going to be using it on bone and cutting on plates et al, then save yourself some money and grief and go for a utility knife of the kind you see every butcher using.
Steel is softer and less likely to chip, your current knife is already pretty forgiving @56 HRC.
Broad edge too, which will tolerate more abuse than a fine steel blade.

I think the knife you chose is far batter than many you could have ended up with, for the manner in which you are using it.

A whetstone is essential IMO, but many go for a system sharpening kit.
You are going to need it.

Handles are subjective, Personally I won't use anything with a rounded handle, like Global or Shun.
Anything that turns in your hand and lacks the lines that allow my brain to unconsciously 'know' where the angle is at all times, that is just me.

There are knives designed for specific tasks, but for one all rounder I'd choose a cleaver or a 8-10 " chef's knife.
HTH
2015 Smokin In The City-Boarshank Redemption
Buccaneer, BeachBums, Alimac23, SilentBob!
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Great post Buck , Totaly agree.

Ive got probably too many knives to have a true just one knife for every purpose however with a knife like this;

Its expensive , very sharp and a pleasure to use but I only use it when im getting frisky in the kitchen and using exotic ingredients.

Day to day mostly I use a Wustof classic 16cm chefs and this collection of cheapish trade knives

One for everything :roll: and there is a dozen more stashed away somewhere.

So if your not a knife nut like Buck, The Victorinox or Eicker and Swibo trade knives are very good value
The 6 inch straight boning knife is the work horse
The 10 inch slicer covers all other bases
I still stone polish sharpen those trade knives and steal then with a polished steal (no ridges)
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
keithgh

Post by keithgh »

Here is my Knife Drawer.

Keith :D :D
Percel

Post by Percel »

keithgh wrote:Image

Here is my Knife Drawer.

Hello dexter, thats where you are these days :D
Nath

Favourite knife

Post by Nath »

Santoku is probably my preferred shape for general chopping duties, vegetables etc etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nath
Basher

Post by Basher »

Wow, Keith, mick, you do leave me with a little knife envy.
Just to be clear, I don't look for bones to chop up or slice whole roasts on a plate. However, slicing up ribs or pinching a sample taste off the plate will sometimes feel knife connection with bone, cartelidge, steel or ceramic. These momentary clunks kill the Scanpan knives instantly and they require the full half hour sharpening process to bring them back. :oops:
I have a couple of cheap Taiwanese knives and found them really easy to bring back an adequate edge with half a dozen swipes on a steel.
I'm going to study your sharpening techniques to seek improvements.
Mick what brand is that Damascus blade in the photo?
You will never know until you have a go!
keithgh

Post by keithgh »

Percel

Sorry wrong number I have never used Dexter.

Emo

Post by Emo »

Ive got at least 1 knife from skin n bone knives on the wishlist.
http://www.skinnboneknives.com/

This Guy is in NSW and makes knives to order, he works the steel the old fashioned way. Blades are made from various steel recovered from old tools and machinary such as saw blades because of the quality of the old steel in these items.
Weber Kettle-BLACK
Weber 4 burner-BLACK
Weber Smokey Mountain-BLACK
Weber Go Anywhere-BLACK
Weber Q200...not BLACK
Emo

Post by Emo »

Weber Kettle-BLACK
Weber 4 burner-BLACK
Weber Smokey Mountain-BLACK
Weber Go Anywhere-BLACK
Weber Q200...not BLACK
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Here ya go Basher, Get an eye ball of this site
http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/Saiun ... html#Saiun
Ive delt with them several times and are good to deal with.
While my Saiun handle looks round, It has flat sections on the sides that give hand indexing that Buck speaks about.
Great knife if you have large size hands or tend to use the entire scale in various hand holds.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
food&fish

Post by food&fish »

I have seen a knife maker in Hahndorf village near Adelaide
Card Shark

Post by Card Shark »

Smokey Mick wrote: One for everything :roll: and there is a dozen more stashed away somewhere.
Mick, who has that magnetic holder? CS
kenlip

Post by kenlip »

I have never had the privilege of seeing this guy's knives 'in the flesh' (so to speak) but he makes some of the most spectacular knives I have ever seen photos of.

His chef's set can be seen at
http://www.jayfisher.com/Chefs_Set_Petrified_Palm.htm

Have a browse around the site and look at some of the other knives he makes - stunning works of art! There is a little video on the top left of every page. Definitely worth a look.

Not only can this guy make knives - his leather-working and woodworking skills are amazing and his photography is not too shabby either.

Ken