Grillgrates

Please post here any info in relation to BBQ product suppliers.
Company "ads" allowed as long as they pertain to BBQ-ing
Captain Cook

Re: Grillgrates

Post by Captain Cook »

Smokey Mick wrote:Got mine on the way, Looking at some of the cooks above Im not so sure they are my thing.
However I will surely give them a hard test run and evaluation.
Cant quite put my finger on it, but I think its the gray between the sear marks??
The cooks above kind of look like they were done on a George Forman electric meat grill.
I will do all the tests and reply in due time
What was the difference in price from OS and GP OZ. Very interested in the inbetween caramalization - Searing is one thing overall flavour is another.

Captain
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Info yet to come Phil, I wasnt fussed on price but they are dear.
Also Im not dissing you blokes that have and like them. This is all about me and what I like :lol:
Im sure they are good, But I want to work on them to see what they are good for and what not.
example; On the SS summit grills, Over the Kamado, Over the weber go anywhere.
I hope good things to report 8)
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Grill Pro Australia

Post by Grill Pro Australia »

Smokey Mick wrote:Info yet to come Phil, I wasnt fussed on price but they are dear.
Also Im not dissing you blokes that have and like them. This is all about me and what I like :lol:
Im sure they are good, But I want to work on them to see what they are good for and what not.
example; On the SS summit grills, Over the Kamado, Over the weber go anywhere.
I hope good things to report 8)
That's the great thing about Barbecue Mick, we all have our own tastes, I love them & have enjoyed the best steaks I have ever cooked. Meatman also loves them. But another guy might prefer CI , so no right or wrong just personal taste :D

Anyway, that said, I hope you like them, just make sure you get them nice & hot, unlike my first go where I didn't & ended up with grey between the sear marks :roll:

Cheers, Dave
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, BBQr's Delight Pellets, Hammer Stahl Knives and American Rubs & Sauces into Australia
https://www.yodersmokers.net.au/
https://bbqrsdelight.net.au//
Instagram: @GRILL_PRO
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Cheers, I'll be sure to do that.
My challenge is to figure out what they work well on here in Australia
My old man has a pathetic Q rip off that will be interesting to test on.
My summit gets to over 700F no prob so I wonder if there will be an advantage.
Another aspect to throw out there is I like flare ups and use them as a tool.
All good.
Interesting and Im looking forward to give an expert appraisal.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
Grill Pro Australia

Smokey Mick wrote:Cheers, I'll be sure to do that.
My challenge is to figure out what they work well on here in Australia
My old man has a pathetic Q rip off that will be interesting to test on.
My summit gets to over 700F no prob so I wonder if there will be an advantage.
Another aspect to throw out there is I like flare ups and use them as a tool.
All good.
Interesting and Im looking forward to give an expert appraisal.
Gee 700F is up there, Grill Grates are designed to sit on top of your existing CI Grates so maybe try that.

You will still probably get flare ups , just smaller ones ...

I look forward to your review of them, what you cooked & what you think of them.

If you like I can send you some samples of Mad Hunky & Tatonka Dust to try out also, but up to you :D

Cheers, Dave
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, BBQr's Delight Pellets, Hammer Stahl Knives and American Rubs & Sauces into Australia
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

If I was to go apples for apples then sure, Ill give the MH and what looks like devils dust or gun powder :twisted: a go.
I tried to get it from the start but missed out, Ive no doubt those seasonings are exelent as so many folk are enjoying them 8)
I will of course pay for the product, Ill just check out the order notes on your site

cheers to a fun sat night
Grill Pro Australia

Smokey Mick wrote:If I was to go apples for apples then sure, Ill give the MH and what looks like devils dust or gun powder :twisted: a go.
I tried to get it from the start but missed out, Ive no doubt those seasonings are exelent as so many folk are enjoying them 8)

cheers to a fun sat night
Ha-ha, love your description :wink:

Anyway, if you want some, just PM me & I will post them up.

Cheers to you too, I might get stick into a nice bottle of Red now.
Grill Pro Australia
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Mick, I know what you mean about the grey in between the grill marks and I was a bit the same - still am in a small way. I did a really quick scotch for a steak Sanger last night and it was perfect. They were from a good butcher so that helps but they were melt in the mouth quality. I think the toasted Turkish bread was harder :lol:
Smokey

Interesting first experiment out of the box

Post by Smokey »

They arrived today and the first thing I did was chuck em on the summit only two grates to one side.
Fired it up then backed of the juice to half on all burners where the oven temp sat at 250 ish C or 500 F
Trying to hit what a Q200 gets to

Then fired the new thermoworks IR gun at all sorts of angles and distances at the grill grates and then the folded SS grates of the sumit.
Then swapped the grill grates to the other side and repeated the process.

The grill grates consistently showed a lower temp than the original ss grates.
by anywhere from 15-40 c

I know its early and no meat has been cooked yet but that aint encouraging.
as right there, I know what side is going to sear my steak and give me at least Medium (@250C)
Maybe there is some magic going on that Im missing?
More to come
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Today I went to Coles and purposely bought some basic cheap cuts that most people buy, Flat iron butterfly steaks, Pork spare ribs and skinless chicken thighs.
Tonight was the flat iron.
Well, I needn't have worried so much, Dave from Grill Pro made some enquiries regarding my last post to the manufacture re IR readings and the fact that grill grates need to be seasoned.
Fair enough I thought, so I sprayed the grates in canola and heated them up on the summit resulting in them being all browned over.
An IR shot showed the grill grate at around 270-300c,,, Cool
On with the meat and instant sizzle, two mins they were angle turned far a diamond shape for another minute and a half.
Then flipped with the tool provided (Lifting up is the go for this type of cook)
I then tested the steak temp until I had 50C removed and tented.
I dont care what the bottom looks like when doing thin steaks but these had the grill marks but not much browning like the presentation side.
Im OK with that as that is the trade off with supermarket steak. If they were cut by myself and two inchers? I'd have worked on both sides.
After resting the internal temp was 55-56C which is about as acceptable to the family as I can get.
Pics;

Tomorrow is spagetti night, Ive already cooked it :lol:
The pork and chook will have to wait.
Meatman

Grillgrates

Post by Meatman »

Smokey

Quick correction, pictures shown here are of oyster blade steaks not "flat iron" which requires butchering I suspect no one in the Coles organisation is even aware of
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Meatman wrote:Smokey

Quick correction, pictures shown here are of oyster blade steaks not "flat iron" which requires butchering I suspect no one in the Coles organisation is even aware of
Happily corrected and knew they were oysters.
was intending to cross some oceans so others would know what it is.
BTW, They were bloody horrible gristly things, I shant be buying that shit again :lol:
The meat itself was beaut, but had to give the ok for the kids to pick them up with fingers and chew the good bits out :roll:
:lol:
FirePlay

Post by FirePlay »

A trick I learned from the Urban Gorilla - cut out the "O" piece of muscle / gristle in the middle before you cook it. In other words, make a slit in from the side and run around the outside of the muscle so you end up with a "ring" of thin steak that can then be skewered with a kebab stick by folding it over a bit - or just cut it into kebab "chunks". Cut out the centre bit as well from the muscle. Turns out the meat itself is fantastic, once you get that muscle out of the way. And oyster blade is cheap! It's just flat iron steak cut another way...

But don't tell anyone... ! :roll:
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

So, a "cheats" Flat Iron is the Oyster Blade with the silver skin removed from the outside and the "eye" of Gristle removed from the middle. This gives small Flat Iron steakettes…..and they are Great! Meaty flavour and tender!
If you can get the whole Oyster Blade from your butcher it’s easy to do!

This info sheet from the MLA:

Cheers
Chris
Last edited by urbangriller on Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Bear

Post by Bear »

I ordered the Grillgrates for my kettle and they arrived on Friday.

I went to my butcher and purchased something suitable to cook.

Fired up the chimney filled with charcoal & heat beads then dumped them in the kettle.

I put the grates on for a while, then put the lid on to let the kettle heat up to the required temperature.

Then seared those gems to a succulent medium rare, (medium for the kids)

Here is what I learnt:
1. The Grillgrates are worth the expense to produce fantastic tasting steak.
2. The holes in the Grillgrates allow just the right balance of fat/juices to drip onto the charcoal giving wonderful flavour whilst creating evaporation of the moisture that doesn't fall through and limiting flare ups.
3. They will be difficult to clean (if deemed necessary)
4. I've missed seared steaks cooked on charcoal it's awesome! I haven't had a decent steak like that since I sold my place that had a chargrill.
5. Not convinced the tool is necessary yet - maybe for fish, my long tongs do a great job.

Thanks to Gary @ smoke king bbq. Can't wait to test other foods like chicken, salmon, swordfish, burgers...... Mmmmmm.
Charcoal: 22.5" Weber OTP 2000 | Wood Oven: Al Forno Piemonte R8 | Portable: Weber GA 2006
Gasser: NG WeberQ 320 | Rotisserie: Gaganis custom dual spit | Smoker: 18.5" WSM 2004