Where to get American BBQ sauces in Sydney

Please post any food related suppliers in this section.
Frandaman

Post by Frandaman »

Hey all,

I am looking for a place where I can pick up American BBQ sauces (Rufus Teague, Arthur Bryant or Stubbs) here in Sydney. I know I can get them online but would prefer a bricks & mortar shop that i can visit.

Thanks all,
Fran
Smokey

Re: Where to get American BBQ sauces in Sydney

Post by Smokey »

If you get your kysher down to Aldi right now, You might find a few bottles left of Sweet Baby Rays.
The only Brick & Mortar shops I know of are in Newcastle and Melbourne, Both do online shopping.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Frandaman

Post by Frandaman »

Hey mate. Thanks for the response. Yup I picked up some sweet baby ray's at Aldi's for $2.69 (bargain I reckon). I'm trying to go thru as many different brands of bbq sauces as I can then pick one that suits my taste best and settle on it.

I did smokey ribs on the weekend with Sweet baby Rays. The sauce was excellent except it was very sweet.
barls

Post by barls »

saw stubbs in golden banana in top ryde. if this helps you.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Hogs Breath sell their Hickory BBQ sauce that they use on their ribs, it's not a bad one.
DaveW

Proud owner of 'Red Mist' Royal Kamado, 'The Green Imp' Sakura Imperial Kamado 'circa 1970 and a Weber GA that, well....... goes anywhere! :D

Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

I've been a sweet baby rays convert since i started getting into bbqing
I've been paying $10 a bottle for the stuff up at the local mall for the last 6 months
Last week when Aldi had them on special i bought 10 bottles of the stuff
I've tried making sauces before and always found them to be to vinegary or not quite as good as the bottled stuff.
Then on the weekend i thought i'd try making my own sauce again, I made a batch of No.5 , and some Weber tangy bbq sauce to go with some pulled pork.
All i can say is both these sauces turned out amazing and i can't believe how easy it was to knock them up
They are far superior than sweet baby rays and probably only cost about $1 to make
So i'm now ready to return my purchases to Aldi because these homemade sauces are unbelievable.
The beauty of them is there is only a few ingredients and you can experiment with them as much as you like, they also will last for ages in the fridge.
I borrowed these receipes from this forum but thought i'd repost it for anyone who wants to try it

No. 5 Sauce
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
1 tablespoon rub
Opional but v. good: 1/4 cup meat drippings
(whats left in the foil after the rest)
Simmer to marry the flavors and thicken as desired.

Weber Tangy Barbecue Sauce
1/2 cup chopped celery
3 tablespoons chopped onion 2 tablespoons butter
1 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dry mustard
pinch of salt and pepper to taste
In a skillet cook celery and onion in butter until tender. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 15 minutes. Serve warm with grilled beef, pork, or chicken, or brush on meats during last 10 minutes of grilling time.

I bottled the left over sauces and have been having them with every bit of meat i've cooked since
Cheers
Joel
Viva La Charcoal Revolution
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
Frandaman

Post by Frandaman »

barls wrote:saw stubbs in golden banana in top ryde. if this helps you.
Thanks mate. Top Ryde is not far from where I work. Might have a look at it this weekend.
Frandaman

Post by Frandaman »

DaveW wrote:Hogs Breath sell their Hickory BBQ sauce that they use on their ribs, it's not a bad one.
I've had their steaks... havent tried their bbq sauce I dont think. But thanks for the tip. I might pop in to a branch when I see one.
Frandaman

Post by Frandaman »

Hogsy wrote:I've been a sweet baby rays convert since i started getting into bbqing
I've been paying $10 a bottle for the stuff up at the local mall for the last 6 months
Last week when Aldi had them on special i bought 10 bottles of the stuff
I've tried making sauces before and always found them to be to vinegary or not quite as good as the bottled stuff.
Then on the weekend i thought i'd try making my own sauce again, I made a batch of No.5 , and some Weber tangy bbq sauce to go with some pulled pork.
All i can say is both these sauces turned out amazing and i can't believe how easy it was to knock them up
They are far superior than sweet baby rays and probably only cost about $1 to make
So i'm now ready to return my purchases to Aldi because these homemade sauces are unbelievable.
The beauty of them is there is only a few ingredients and you can experiment with them as much as you like, they also will last for ages in the fridge.
I borrowed these receipes from this forum but thought i'd repost it for anyone who wants to try it

No. 5 Sauce
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
1 tablespoon rub
Opional but v. good: 1/4 cup meat drippings
(whats left in the foil after the rest)
Simmer to marry the flavors and thicken as desired.

Weber Tangy Barbecue Sauce
1/2 cup chopped celery
3 tablespoons chopped onion 2 tablespoons butter
1 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dry mustard
pinch of salt and pepper to taste
In a skillet cook celery and onion in butter until tender. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 15 minutes. Serve warm with grilled beef, pork, or chicken, or brush on meats during last 10 minutes of grilling time.

I bottled the left over sauces and have been having them with every bit of meat i've cooked since
Cheers
Joel
I used to try and make my own sauces but I can't quite nail it yet. Your No.5 Sauce looks interesting. I might have a dig at that one of this days. Anyway i found a recipe for Arthur Bryant's on the web. People's comments swear it is close to the real thing. I've not made it myself so I can't vouch for it nor have I tasted Arthur Bryant's sauces. But if you guys are interested in the recipe, here it is. Let me know how you go.

Arthur Bryant BBQ Sauce recipe
1/2 cup distilled vinegar (all other recipes use too much)
1.5 cups water
1/2 cup paproka
1/4 mustard (this is what gives it the orange color, and I believe to be the secret ingredient)
1/8 cup kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup lard
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cummin

Fran
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Hi Guys
The other great one to make is the Chilli & Mango BBQ Sauce with McGuigan Bin 4000 Cabernet, Its a bit more complicated to make but Jeez mate its a lot of fun if a couple of you do it.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=39

Cheers

Captain
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Frandaman wrote:Hey all,

I am looking for a place where I can pick up American BBQ sauces (Rufus Teague, Arthur Bryant or Stubbs) here in Sydney. I know I can get them online but would prefer a bricks & mortar shop that i can visit.

Thanks all,
Fran
Top Ryde Golden Banana is quickly becoming one of my favourite places.
I picked up some Rufus and Stubbs sauces there (They have about 4 or 5 different Stubbs sauces and a few rubs). They also had sweet baby rays and some DR pepper sauces, but I didn't get any. They also happen to have a large range of USA sweets and heaps of stuff from Europe, including french duck and goose fat.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Jump on the goose fat if you can get it, Its beter for you over duck fat and imo, does a better job on the veg. Tastes better too,, Here is me talking after roasting veg in duck fat only this evening :mrgreen:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
Frandaman

Post by Frandaman »

I went to Golden Banana a few weeks ago. Geez they got some good stuff in there. Oh btw, this week The Reject Shop is gonna sell some Open Pit BBQ sauces and Louisiana Hot Sauce until they run out. One off only I think. I managed to hook up some sauces to try with my ribs and wings… to be honest a lot of the American sauces are all hype I think. See below on what I have tried and what I thought of it.

Sweet Baby Rays (original) – It’s okay. Too sweet. Reminds me of ordinary supermarket bbq sauce like Heinz, Fountain etc.
Stubbs Original – Very vinegary. The ribs looked excellent with this on it. But a lot of my guests liked it. I actually liked it too but I was expecting a bit more from it.
Bullseye (Memphis Style) – Rubbish. Tomato based sauce with brown sugar. I don’t know why but I found this sauce bland. I felt like I wasted the half rack of ribs that I applied this to.
KC Masterpiece – This sauce is boring. I’ve got ¾ of a bottle left of this and I don’t know what to do with it.
Jack Daniels – Same as Sweet Baby Rays. Sweet… but really, there is nothing special about it.
Budweiser BBQ sauce – see Sweet Baby Rays and Jack Daniels.

I also have a few bottles that I haven’t tried (see below). I should be able to get to it in the next few months if I don’t have a heart attack first.

Sweet Baby Rays (Sweet & Spicy)
Stubbs ( Sweet Heat & Hickory Bourbon)
Arthur Bryants (Original, Sweet Heat & Rich and Spicy) – This thing cost me $70 to get sent over. It better be good.
Dr Pepper BBQ Sauce
Big Ricks (Aussie brand)

I’ll have to go back to Golden Banana to pick up some Rufus Teague’s. I’ll see how I go with the rest of it.

And oh before I forget, the No5 recipe that Hogsy posted on this is excellent. I made it but added some chilli powder to give it a bit more punch.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Good stuff,
Try the Monkey gland sauce, But make sure you use Mrs Balls original chutney (From S Africa) as its not like the chutney we get here.
Made from peach and apricot it is sweeter and making Monkey gland sauce with three three's chutney would make a wildly different taste
peteru

Post by peteru »

Big Ricks Hot As is nice as a pour over sauce on a good steak with some chips and salad. I don't think it would benefit from being cooked / used as a glaze.