Perth Butchers

Please post any food related suppliers in this section.
Mr Peter

Perth Butchers

Post by Mr Peter »

Do any of the WA folks know of any excellent butchers here? I'm generally disappointed in the range and quality of most.

I went to Mondo di Carne in Inglewood today, which is renowned across the country for its high quality. I grabbed a few items (all of which were overpriced IMO), and tonight cooked up some pork sausages. Very disappointing.

While they had some game meat (of which I'm a huge fan), their range wasn't huge, they had very little offal (again, I could just about live off the stuff), and their display cabinet failed to impress.

I guess I'd like to see the type of traditional butcher shops I've seen in England and Germany where there's a real passion for the produce and more respect for the beasts that gave their lives to feed us.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Perth Butchers

Post by Davo »

Problem is Mr Peter is most of our GOOD meat is exported to places like Japan and China where the market pays for good quality, us tight wad Aussies usually get what's left over because the mainstream of people won't buy good expensive meat....and I guess I'm also guilty of that too....I think it's a bit over priced here but not as much as it was a few years back but Aussie meat is highly sort after overseas due to our safe hygiene practices.
There are some wholesalers around Australia (can't vouch for west side) that also sell to public so try and do some research on that.
We had quite a few members some time ago from over there and they were constantly getting good cuts of meat but they made sure they spoke with butchers until they are happy to find the ones who will accommodate them....they were very fussy members too.....unfortunately they've moved on from here but I guess it means you go around and talk with as many as you can and find one that's on the same page.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Mr Peter

Post by Mr Peter »

Yep, it's the same with our seafood. Our fishmongers here are what I would generously describe as "second rate" as the really good stuff goes overseas.

It'd be cheaper to buy a boat than regularly buy seafood here. Maybe I should...
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

My wife has a Japanese friend who's lived in WA for some time now but used to live in Sydney, she has often pointed out that everything regarding fresh food is quite a lot more expensive over there and mostly with vegetables, if they're shipped over from the eastern States, are not overly fresh by the time they get to the shops.
I thought your seafoods might've been pretty fresh though...thought WA was very much a seafood State.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5