Vic's Meat Market - @ Sydney Fish Markets

Please post any food related suppliers in this section.
matty83

Vic's Meat Market - @ Sydney Fish Markets

Post by matty83 »

Best butcher I have been to. Set up in a giant cool room, premium cuts of beef, whole briskets, they will cut portions of anything, meatiest pork ribs I have seen at $22/kg. I bought a 700 gram beef short (enormous) rib that is sitting in the bbq at the moment for an 8 hour cook.

They also have a takeaway bbq shop, with brisket and pulled pork rolls ($10) cooked for 12 hours on a yoder offset smoker. All tasted great, I paid $8 for a small bucket of burnt ends which were awesome. Also sold beef short rib for $30 which i didn't try but assume it is gigantic.

Check it out.
aussieant32

Re: Vic's Meat Market - @ Sydney Fish Markets

Post by aussieant32 »

Yep, second everything. They really know their meats too. Always stock rangers valley brisket as well. Huge selection of brined pork, need to ask for it though.

Also the best black pudding I have had outside of Europe.
Coolabah Gas Smoker, Weber One Touch, Dragon Kamado
alokin123

Post by alokin123 »

any pics of the meats?
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

I don't like to take photos inside a shop, usually frowned upon as it could be a competitor etc. See some people do it, but not me.

I have a few photos in threads of meat I have bought and taken home, its top quality. 45 minute drive for me, but really is worth the trip. Plus you can grab a heap of fresh seafood while you are there.
Jars

Post by Jars »

alokin123 wrote:any pics of the meats?
They have an instagram account with heaps of pics, check it out here https://instagram.com/vicsmeatmarket/
Yoder YS480 || Weber OTS Premium || Weber Go Anywhere || Weber Jumbo Joe || Keg Spit || 'Golden Moth' UDS
alokin123

Post by alokin123 »

cool, i want to make the trip one day.

Has anyone been to www.featherandbone.com.au ?
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

Seems quite expensive mate. $20.99 per kg for brisket? Cape Grimm is only about $13. Pork neck I also pay around $17 -$19 per kg, they flogging it for $28??

Look to have a good range but seem close to double the cost of most places, for the low cook joints anyway.
alokin123

Post by alokin123 »

aussieant32 wrote:Seems quite expensive mate. $20.99 per kg for brisket? Cape Grimm is only about $13. Pork neck I also pay around $17 -$19 per kg, they flogging it for $28??

Look to have a good range but seem close to double the cost of most places, for the low cook joints anyway.
Thats what i thought as well. I like some of their practises though of visiting the places they buy their meat from still. Still i dont know that i could justify some of the costs
kenshinzero

Post by kenshinzero »

I brought an Angus brisket from Vics meat in Melbourne before cost was around 20 bucks per KG, wasn't a bad brisket but wasn't worth the money.
Currently i am paying
Riverina Angus brisket $10.99 KG (same brisket used by bluebonnet in melb)
Pork Neck(Scotch) is around $11 KG
Beef Ribs is around $11-$12 KG
I have access to a lot more cuts but i haven't brought them yet.

So far i haven't had better meat
Fents

Post by Fents »

kenshinzero wrote:I brought an Angus brisket from Vics meat in Melbourne before cost was around 20 bucks per KG, wasn't a bad brisket but wasn't worth the money.
Currently i am paying
Riverina Angus brisket $10.99 KG (same brisket used by bluebonnet in melb)
Pork Neck(Scotch) is around $11 KG
Beef Ribs is around $11-$12 KG
I have access to a lot more cuts but i haven't brought them yet.

So far i haven't had better meat
where are you getting prices like that from?
kenshinzero

Post by kenshinzero »

Tip Top Butchers
10 Raymond Rd
Laverton North VIC 3026

they will do cuts to order also you just need to either get in before 9:30AM or call ahead.

I normally make a pilgrimage there on Saturdays for a cook up on Sunday.
Giddyup

Post by Giddyup »

It might be expensive, but have a look at the marbling

Nice burnt ends too

marcn

Post by marcn »

aussieant32 wrote:Seems quite expensive mate. $20.99 per kg for brisket? Cape Grimm is only about $13. Pork neck I also pay around $17 -$19 per kg, they flogging it for $28??

I'd have to agree their prices are way too much. Bought from them a few times when things were reasonable before their Sydney Fish Market expansion but never again after that.
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

I was referring to feather and bone mate, Vic's is pricey but well within an acceptable range to me
RoninWC

Post by RoninWC »

Made my first visit to Vic's at the Sydney Fish Markets on Friday.
Impressions are:
Meat all looks very good quality, well presented and they cover all the BBQ'ing cuts better than any butcher I've yet to see in Sydney.
But, I thought overall the meat was expensive. A good size brisket was around the $25 / kg mark and therefore over $120 for a brisket
Went around to the shop and had one of the brisket rolls for $10 and all I can say is wow... such great value for an awesome proper brisket!
Seldom in Sydney can you find real low & slow smoked brisket and this one was spot on the money!
Unfortunately, my son and I had had our fill of seafood before going to Vic's and therefore didn't get to taste more of the offerings.
Next time will go there and get one of everything.
I then spent some time talking to the "pit master" who's name I have forgotten but he was happy to share with me his techniques and methods. What a great guy and so knowledgeable. And that Yoder in the shop just looks amazing!
Can highly recommend the trip to get some damn fine BBQ.
BTW, the burnt ends offering is only available on the weekends.
Cheers,
WarrenC