buying from Asian butchers

Please post any food related suppliers in this section.
alokin123

Post by alokin123 »

I have been looking for a decent cut of pork ribs and reading a few posts on the forum suggested trying Asian butchers so i decided to drive around to a few in my area just to check them out. I went to Parklea Markets and the selection there was quite good and the pork ribs were meaty and only about $11 a KG.

I then went to the 'Good Luck Plaza' in Mt Druitt and then in Blacktown. Although the ribs were meaty, the outlets didnt look as professional as say a butcher you would find in Westfields.

So how exactly do these Asian and similar type stores get their prices so low? And where do they source their meat from?
Are we just being ripped off by the generic butchers?
Is it safe to buy from these stores? The store in Mt Druitt had a massive piece of ribs but i found it hard to convince myself that i could trust what i was seeing in terms of presentation.
Groovy Gorilla

Re: buying from Asian butchers

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

Asian customers dont like getting ripped off is their major reason for cheap meat.
Ive been seeking out Asian or Continental butchers and fish mongers and green grocers around Melbourne for decades for quality and price.
The added bonus is you wont be shopping where the red necks go.
chilling while grilling
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

I think also that their culture in food is very much slanted towards pork so their actual stock of pork is overall higher than the Aussie butcher.
One of the chinese characters derives from a picture with a pig in a house which means a fortunate household.

Also a pig is one of the featured good luck symbols of the Chinese Calender.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
overspiceddave

Post by overspiceddave »

I know what you mean about presentation. I frequent a couple around the Hurstville area and one in particular has cuts of meat that are unrecognisable. I just point to a lump and say that will do. Never had a problem with any meat from an Asian butcher even where their refrigeration looks a bit suspect.

I think the main thing about keeping costs down is most of them dont have to pay the ridiculous rent Westfield charge and they have a high turnover.

Dave
skuzy

Post by skuzy »

overspiceddave wrote:
I think the main thing about keeping costs down is most of them dont have to pay the ridiculous rent Westfield charge and they have a high turnover.

Dave

bingo..

like most immigrants who set up business selling produce/goods/etc.. they are are no frills setup (lower overheads).. and in most cases would pay lower salaries
eXpeLL

Post by eXpeLL »

...... and a lot of 'cash only' ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mixin

Post by Mixin »

I find I get the best pork from a couple of butchers in Cabramatta, in the little alleys off John St (near the markets). I think they keep quite a number of carcasses on hand in the coolrooms out the back. They are happy to oblige special requests, especially when they recognise you as a repeat customer. You can ask them for "more meaty ribs" and they'll go out the back, slice a thinner belly off, an leave you with a much thicker slab of meat over the ribs. I have also bought a bone-in shoulder from them. It took a bit of explaining, and a picture on the iphone to break the language barrier, but it worked!

There's also a great bakery in one of them that sells sweet pork buns, and a lot of other nice stuff, so I always try to get in there around 11am before the lunch rush :)
Weber Kettle Fanatic....
Main go-to: Blue 57cm OTG
Fire restriction option: Black 57cm M/T butchered with a Weber gas conversion.
GMG DC for the lazy smoky cooks.
Weeknight special: Q200
Problem? What problem?
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Yeah cash only or majority cash sales are the key in the Asian custom....they like cold hard cash...no cheques, no cards...just cash...probably not a bad way to operate...they mostly cater to their own but anyone else is welcome provided they follow suit with having cash at hand.

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
skuzy

Post by skuzy »

They mostly 'cater to their own' because a lot of people don't recognize the cuts of meat they are selling... Or even worse.. Think its dog or cat lol
niko123456

Post by niko123456 »

Welfare of pigs not an issue for any of you?
Nath

Post by Nath »

There is always thoughts of welfare.
I'd love to be able to buy free range and ethically farmed everything. Sometimes it's not an option though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Nath on Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nath
urbangriller

Re:

Post by urbangriller »

niko123456 wrote:Welfare of pigs not an issue for any of you?
I don't understand the point Niko?

Do you think there is a difference in how the pigs are grown just because they come from an Asian butcher?

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Narmnaleg

Re:

Post by Narmnaleg »

Yes it is and not just pigs.
titch

Post by titch »

Cheap pork comes from Sow stalls
.Cheap is cheap .l ife and values
They are not a pretty sight, either are caged egg hens.
The meat from a happy creature must taste better, I know our farm produced meals always did.
Cheers
Titch
niko123456

Post by niko123456 »

urbangriller wrote:
I don't understand the point Niko?

Do you think there is a difference in how the pigs are grown just because they come from an Asian butcher?

Chris
Essentially. Don't get me wrong, you can buy intensive farmed pork at any butcher or the supermarket too, but at the Asian butcher that is exactly what you get.