organic meat in adelaide

Please post any food related suppliers in this section.
Zorba

organic meat in adelaide

Post by Zorba »

anyone know of a good organic meat supplier in adelaide.

there is one that is at the parafield markets on saturday mornings, but his range is limited. ie he had those small briskets that i made last week, and he sells the "american ribs" that you see in the supermarkets, and the sliced "Spare ribs" that is just sliced belly.

im looking for one that sells the real racks of ribs and proper brisket etc.

we have noticed that since going to this meat supplier from the supermarkets the kids are eating more and "liking" it rather than the regular arguments we got before. but i want to do some good bbq but the wife only wants organic meats now.
Smokey

Re: organic meat in adelaide

Post by Smokey »

Would not all grass fed beef be "organic"?
What is organic beef?
If it means free of pest and disease treatments I'm not sure that's the best thing for the beast.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Smokey wrote:Would not all grass fed beef be "organic"?
What is organic beef?
If it means free of pest and disease treatments I'm not sure that's the best thing for the beast.
As far as I know it means that the beast had outdoor access to pastures that are also organic. The beef will be free of antibiotics, hormones, etc. You should also be able to easily identify the source and all this is certified and independently audited. Unlike the moniker of "free range" which is just BS as there is no independent auditing.
Zorba

Post by Zorba »

What is organic beef?
sorry, yes i meant grass fed. that is what we are getting now at the parafield markets
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Zorba wrote:
What is organic beef?
sorry, yes i meant grass fed. that is what we are getting now at the parafield markets
Ahh, Yes I agree with your wife and kids. I too prefer grass fed. When it's good it's really good.

Thanks Narmanaleg for the heads up. That type of bovin is pretty much all there is locally in the hills here.
Most probably won't have a accreditation but most of the land has never produced anything else that might make the ground non organic. being up in hippy central, I often see organic beef and wondered really, just how different it is to my mates farm in Stokers siding.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Smokey wrote: Ahh, Yes I agree with your wife and kids. I too prefer grass fed. When it's good it's really good.

Thanks Narmanaleg for the heads up. That type of bovin is pretty much all there is locally in the hills here.
Most probably won't have a accreditation but most of the land has never produced anything else that might make the ground non organic. being up in hippy central, I often see organic beef and wondered really, just how different it is to my mates farm in Stokers siding.
I'm sure it's no better than your mates farm Smokey. It sounds like your in a heck of a spot there mate! In Sydney it's often pot luck and the only alternatives are:
1) get to know your butcher (as you can imagine not always easy or possible)
2) Pay a premium and go to places like Feather and Bone.

I try all three and sometimes I get lucky, but never as much as when I know where the meat came from.
Jars

Post by Jars »

Have you tried any of your local butchers? Do a search on google maps and have a look at some locals, ring them up and ask what they have.
Yoder YS480 || Weber OTS Premium || Weber Go Anywhere || Weber Jumbo Joe || Keg Spit || 'Golden Moth' UDS