A Jerky Test for Mad Hunkey

Please post any food related suppliers in this section.
Smokey

A Jerky Test for Mad Hunkey

Post by Smokey »

Dave from Grill Pro recently asked If I would do a product test for a US product that he is contemplating to Import.
I said Cool, No problem but will test no holds bar bared.
And so it was arraigned.

Basically this is a Jerky flavor and cure two part mix that is set up so you cant fail or poison yourself.
Reading that packet ingredients shows a similar mix that I might normally use however they are all dried,, eg Dried soy sauce.
The contents are mixed with only a cup of water and mixed into Five Pounds of beef or 2.4 KG,, More about that later.
There is nothing scary in the ingredient list Other than a very small amount or percentage overall of nitrite, Much lower than what is used in ham or bacon and I think this level is sensible.
The total nitrite was a bag of 25g of salt of which 1.75 % was nitrate for 2.4 KG of prepared beef.
The only other thing I noticed was that It contained Palm Oil and that may have some repercussions in this country from those that have very real worries about our ranga primate friends.
Its just enough to make it a safe product and was in my view well thought out.
A few pics

And the beef, I chose beef skirt from two different butchers and one was better than the other.
The good
The ugly
Was good tasting but was fatty and had to trim heaps off.

That don't look much but wait till I loaded two full levels of my GMG Danial Boon.
Its a hell of a lot of jerky and one will need a big smoker like I do and then some.
Most folks just could not process all this meat layed out on a drying rack. I had meat left over that I filled my sunbeam food dehydrator until it was dry enough to throw it into the GMG to get some BBQ Delight hickory smoke loving.

Mixed it up and added some chilli flakes, The instructions say to experiment with the liquid and states that its a mild peper flavour, So I was glad I did add a little chilli
Into the big zip locks and in the fridge for 24 Hours
In the GMG, The bbqers Delight pellets supplied by Dave worked well.

What I could not fit till things dried out and I could pile things up a bit as the meat shrunk up and no longer would stick together

My thoughts,
Good product as its a way for people to make jerky in a safe manor providing they have the means to smoke or dry at 160F for several hours.
The taste is not quite what I make normally and that is down to powdered ingredients rather then , say soy sauce from the bottle and so on.
Its a bit like the difference between canned food or fresh. Both have a place and I had to make that point as it stood out to me.
My wife and kids just loved it when I took a bag up the north coast for a holiday so who am I to really judge?
Two weeks later, I just enjoyed another piece of it as I type.
It was a little on the salty side for me but I do tend to lower salt content if at all possible so that observation needs to be checked against other testers or pier reviewed.
Five Pounds is way too much for most to handle, Needs to be halved for the Australian market. Id still stay with the single use to keep people in the safe zone but just half the pack size and pricing accordingly.
Doesn't need to be in such a big bag,,, Think continental chicken noodle soup mix size enough for 1.2KG of meat??

Thanks Dave for allowing me to test this product and for the half bag of pellets to do it with. I hope something can be taken away from it.

Mike Nash
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Jars

Re: A Jerky Test for Mad Hunkey

Post by Jars »

Mate, that's some tasty looking Jerky, and a great review of the product! Sure filled up the GMG!
Yoder YS480 || Weber OTS Premium || Weber Go Anywhere || Weber Jumbo Joe || Keg Spit || 'Golden Moth' UDS
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Jars wrote:Mate, that's some tasty looking Jerky, and a great review of the product! Sure filled up the GMG!
Cheers, Yep it sure did fill her up. A YS 640 or GMG DC would do this easy but like many, I bought the BBQ for the size it's most used for., A small family most of the time
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
Santo

Post by Santo »

Mick , awesome review! Love your commentary very good to read :-) well done.
Look, I think there's been a mistake.... Did you say Steak!?
Grill Pro Australia

Post by Grill Pro Australia »

Hi Mick,
Thankyou for testing this product for us, I knew that I would get an unbiased report :D

I am going to ask Rich ( Mad Hunky ) if he can halve the mix, but include 2 lots in the bag so customers can choose to do a full or halve mix.

Any other suggestions Mick?

I have also asked Edgy & Santo to do a review on their thoughts of this product.

We then just need to decide if it will sell here in Australia & import it :D

Cheers, Dave
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, BBQr's Delight Pellets, Hammer Stahl Knives and American Rubs & Sauces into Australia
https://www.yodersmokers.net.au/
https://bbqrsdelight.net.au//
Instagram: @GRILL_PRO
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Great review Mick,

T'was also nice to have a peek inside your GMG...it's a good size and something that would be also good for me....one day :roll:

yeah even I would struggle to get through that much jerky, although once cured & smoked, can't it be frozen till you need it and you'll always have a good supply? It'd make it worthwhile to do such a large amount.

Great job.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Davo, It's not the amount once it's dry, It's dealing with it prior to drying.
No big deal if one has the means as five pounds actually makes the process worthwhile when you take in cost and effort.
It's been a month now, I still have the jerky in a zip lock bag in the fridge.
There are no signs of of spoilage or white mould that can form.

Dave, The only thing I can think of is more flavours. I usually make teriyaki and pineapple but of course that's personal.
Grill Pro Australia

Thanks Mick,
I have forwarded a link to this thread to Rich from Mad Hunky to have a read :D

Cheers, Dave
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, BBQr's Delight Pellets, Hammer Stahl Knives and American Rubs & Sauces into Australia
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Smokey Mick wrote: I usually make teriyaki and pineapple but of course that's personal.
Pineapple jerky? I'd like to try that!
Richtee

Post by Richtee »

Dave from Grill Pro recently asked If I would do a product test for a US product that he is contemplating to Import.
I said Cool, No problem but will test no holds bar bared.
And so it was arraigned.

Basically this is a Jerky flavor and cure two part mix that is set up so you cant fail or poison yourself.
Reading that packet ingredients shows a similar mix that I might normally use however they are all dried,, eg Dried soy sauce.
The contents are mixed with only a cup of water and mixed into Five Pounds of beef or 2.4 KG,, More about that later.
There is nothing scary in the ingredient list Other than a very small amount or percentage overall of nitrite, Much lower than what is used in ham or bacon and I think this level is sensible.
The total nitrite was a bag of 25g of salt of which 1.75 % was nitrate for 2.4 KG of prepared beef.
The only other thing I noticed was that It contained Palm Oil and that may have some repercussions in this country from those that have very real worries about our ranga primate friends.

Hmm I know not what this in reference to, however I'm sure this can be easily addressed.

Its just enough to make it a safe product and was in my view well thought out.

That don't look much but wait till I loaded two full levels of my GMG Danial Boon.
Its a hell of a lot of jerky and one will need a big smoker like I do and then some.
Most folks just could not process all this meat layed out on a drying rack. I had meat left over that I filled my sunbeam food dehydrator until it was dry enough to throw it into the GMG to get some BBQ Delight hickory smoke loving.

One could easily do the jerky over a couple days. It will not matter if it's left more than 24 hours... in this case one cannot over cure the meat. Only UNDER. I personally have left it in the mix for 5 days with no ill effects.

Mixed it up and added some chilli flakes, The instructions say to experiment with the liquid and states that its a mild peper flavour, So I was glad I did add a little chilli

I like it spicier myself...but of course one has to try to guess the masses tastes in a commercial product... or at min come out with a "Spicy" version. And I may... but remember bringing a new product to market IS expensive and of course somewhat risky.

My thoughts,
Good product as its a way for people to make jerky in a safe manor providing they have the means to smoke or dry at 160F for several hours.
The taste is not quite what I make normally and that is down to powdered ingredients rather then , say soy sauce from the bottle and so on.
Its a bit like the difference between canned food or fresh. Both have a place and I had to make that point as it stood out to me.

I usually use 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup dry red wine. I think you'll find it much more flavorful, AND add in the wine's natural anti-oxidants to improve preservation. Or go with a sweet if that's your bent. Also..the 160F thing...is an FDA recommendation. Many here dry at lower temps. 130-ish.. the cure is the protectant here. We have alot of bozos here who think it's not needed however, and I believe the FDA is addressing their stupidity. A slower/lower dried jerky..to me..IS more flavorful. I shoot for 140F.

My wife and kids just loved it when I took a bag up the north coast for a holiday so who am I to really judge?
Two weeks later, I just enjoyed another piece of it as I type.
It was a little on the salty side for me but I do tend to lower salt content if at all possible so that observation needs to be checked against other testers or pier reviewed.

Heh.... well, that's a good sign! And the salt... believe it or not... I kept it at about the min I could and still remain within the range required for safety of the product. Since I don't know how dry folks are making it..I had to assume some Aw (water activity http://drinc.ucdavis.edu/dairychem4_new.htm) may be an issue. Salt mitigates this, as well as a lower Ph.

Five Pounds is way too much for most to handle, Needs to be halved for the Australian market. Id still stay with the single use to keep people in the safe zone but just half the pack size and pricing accordingly.
Doesn't need to be in such a big bag,,, Think continental chicken noodle soup mix size enough for 1.2KG of meat??

You'd be surprised at the amout half would cost. Not much less at all. Packaging is a big part of this product...requiring 2 packages, as the cure can only be mixed with the salt...NOT the flavoring ingredients by law. Perhaps I half the cure pack.. for 2.5Lbs and include 2- that would be OK with me..as it don't matter much if someone muffs dividing the seasoning, but it would the cure... As for the size of the pack..merely an expedient decision on my part to use the "stock" packaging available at the spice house.

Thanks Dave for allowing me to test this product and for the half bag of pellets to do it with. I hope something can be taken away from it.

Mike Nash

Thanks for taking the time and expense of this trial, Mick. And it looks damned good BTW! :{)- Rich "The Mad Hunky"
edgy

Post by edgy »

Good review mate... I just pulled my load out of the Yoder this morning and will vac pack it all tonight, yes 5lbs is a hell of a lot of jerky :shock: ... but I'm sure when my mates come over and get on the cans it won't last long. :lol:

Also, I followed Rich's advice and used 50:50 Red wine (shiraz) and water as the liquid stock. I'd be happy to send you some Mick if you want to compare against what you made? I used hanger steak and skirt steak for mine.

cheers
Yoder Smokers - Competition BBQ team

Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member! "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." Frank Sinatra
Grill Pro Australia

Based on Mick's review, we have ordered this product for Australia & stock is on its way.

Thanks aging for your detailed review Mick, much appreciated.

Cheers, Dave
Grill Pro Australia