Tatonka Dust

Please post any food related suppliers in this section.
fleetz

Tatonka Dust

Post by fleetz »

Picked up a bag of Tatonka Dust from Dave at Grill Pro from I believe their first shipment and tried it out on some fillet steaks we got for a family get together last night. Man it was a hit! Everyone loved it......

Really hard to describe the flavour Tatonka Dust imparts it is different to any rub or maranade I have every used. Think this will be my go to steak/beef rub from now on. :D

All I did was give both sides a good sprinkle of dust let it sit for about 20 minutes and cooked them on the Weber Q. Rested for 5 minutes and yummo! Can't wait until I can cook some steaks and beef with Tatonka in the Yoder YS480 when it arrives.

Fleetz
Last edited by fleetz on Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yoder YS640 on comp cart, Grill Grates for the YS640, Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5, CyberQ WiFi Controller, Maverick ET-732, Maverick ET-733, Thermapen, Weber Q 320, A-MAZ-N 6" and 12" tubes
Gumb

Tatonka Dust

Post by Gumb »

In other words, Buffalo dust?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
fleetz

Re: Tatonka Dust

Post by fleetz »

Never tried Buffalo Dust Gumb......what is that like?
Yoder YS640 on comp cart, Grill Grates for the YS640, Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5, CyberQ WiFi Controller, Maverick ET-732, Maverick ET-733, Thermapen, Weber Q 320, A-MAZ-N 6" and 12" tubes
Gumb

Tatonka Dust

Post by Gumb »

fleetz wrote:Never tried Buffalo Dust Gumb......what is that like?
Don't mind me, just word association, I think it's tatanka, which is Indian for buffalo. Ever seen Dances with Wolves ? :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hammer

Tatonka Dust

Post by Hammer »

fleetz wrote:Picked up a bag of Tatonka Dust from Dave at Grill Pro from I believe their first shipment and tried it out on some fillet steaks we got for a family get together last night. Man it was a hit! Everyone loved it......

Really hard to describe the flavour Tatonka Dust imparts it is different to any rub or maranade I have every used. Think this will be my go to steak/beef rub from now on. :D

All I did was give both sides a good sprinkle of dust let it sit for about 20 minutes and cooked them on the Weber Q. Rested for 5 minutes and yummo! Can't wait to I can cook some steaks and beef with Tatonka in the Yoder YS480 when it arrives.

Fleetz
Can this be bought over the counter here in ADL?
turkey101

Post by turkey101 »

fleetz wrote:Picked up a bag of Tatonka Dust from Dave at Grill Pro from I believe their first shipment and tried it out on some fillet steaks we got for a family get together last night. Man it was a hit! Everyone loved it......

All I did was give both sides a good sprinkle of dust let it sit for about 20 minutes and cooked them on the Weber Q. Rested for 5 minutes and yummo! Can't wait to I can cook some steaks and beef with Tatonka in the Yoder YS480 when it arrives.

Fleetz
Have to agree, Fleetz! Absolutely fantastic stuff - it does live up to it's reputation!

I also picked up a couple of bags of Tatonka Dust from Dave while I was buying pellets yesterday. I just cooked up some fillet steaks tonight and the family went bonkers! :D :D

So many layers of flavour without being overly "spicy" or salty - it stands apart from other steak/beef seasonings I've tried.

Looking forward to trying this on other dishes . . . :P
...Yoder YS640...Weber Smokey Mountain...Home Brew...Bourbon...Whisk(e)y...Frustrated Muso...Sometimes, just frustrated...
...Twitter: @macturkey101
...KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #78512
Santo

Post by Santo »

Is it gonna be another week or so till this hits Melbourne?

Sent from my GT-I9305T
Look, I think there's been a mistake.... Did you say Steak!?
the dane

Post by the dane »

so dave has a shop front? that we can purchase these products from?
cheers

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
fleetz

Post by fleetz »

Hammer wrote:

Fleetz
Can this be bought over the counter here in ADL?
Was able to buy it from Dave at Grill Pro at his Malvern location. Paid cash as he has no credit card facility.....he gave me a forum member discount :D
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

If you like the tatonka dust, try some of the spice blends from http://www.screamingseeds.com.au or http://www.herbies.com.au. Both are Australian and are always available. I particularly like the Screaming Seeds Rainforest Blend with lamb. But don't limit yourselves to one flavour profile, try a lot of different ones, you will be surprised at what there is available locally.

Captain
Santo

Post by Santo »

Funny you mention that captain... It never occurred to me to look locally for any of this stuff!

Sent from my GT-I9305T
Look, I think there's been a mistake.... Did you say Steak!?
Burnt offerings

Post by Burnt offerings »

I purchased a bag of Tatonka Dust, received it this week.

It is one solid chunk of grey stuff at the moment, I will try to crumble it up the best I can, it is one very hard lump. (I am going to try to use it on some beef ribs).

It better live up to the hype as I'm not impressed paying for something I might have to toss as the packaging seems to be below par, seems like it has let moisture in!

Has anyone had this issue with Tatonka Dust packaging?
GMG Daniel Boon WiFi, Weber OTG, ProQ Excel 20, small generic kettle, other BBQ stuff.
I like BBQ stuff!
2014 Commonwealth Games Gold medal winner!
World shooting Champion.
5 time Olympian.
Chargrilled

Post by Chargrilled »

Yep same issue here. One big solid lump.
Have to stab it with a fork whenever i want to use it because it always turns back into a solid lump
food&fish

Post by food&fish »

Tony has it at bbq/s pluss
Great stuff
fleetz

Post by fleetz »

It doesn't have the anti clumping chemical agent I believe.

I use the back of a spoon in a bowl to bring it back to dust.