Ribs in Perth

Please post any food related suppliers in this section.
woopsicle

Re: Ribs in Perth

Post by woopsicle »

Any good pork rib supply SOR that anyone knows of?

All i can seem to find are the triangle looking ribs - some butchers call them "pork meaty ribs", sometimes they seem meaty, but sometimes not. Pretty small really.

I would love a big rack of meaty ribs like this - http://handlermeat.com.au/images/detail ... bs_USA.jpg
Nath

Ribs in Perth

Post by Nath »

^^ that is a set of ribs, but they look like they have SFA meat on them to me. Where abouts do you get your "meaty pork ribs" from? Market city meats by any chance? I tend to find they fairly meaty but not a full set of ribs like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nath
woopsicle

Post by woopsicle »

Busio90 wrote:^^ that is a set of ribs, but they look like they have SFA meat on them to me. Where abouts do you get your "meaty pork ribs" from? Market city meats by any chance? I tend to find they fairly meaty but not a full set of ribs like that.
Yes! Market City Meats. They do seem OK - just the last batch was a little sorry looking and there's something attractive looking for the full rack. Having said that, the triangle cuts are more convenient in terms of serving (makes a perfect serving size).

I do find the 3-2-1 smoking method is a bit long for them though due to their size (maybe more like 2-1.5-0.5).
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

Don't live down there since last August but Market City Meats is always a case of getting to know the butchers, they will do what you want if not too busy.

Going to have to hope it's still there, I may well check this Saturday since I have to be on South Street but when we left there was a very good butcher at Farrington Road shops who seemed to understand BBQ.

If you don't know the shops are towards Karel Ave between it and the freeway, the main supermarket is an IGA, butcher is in front of you as you come in the entrance.

Cheers
Nath

Ribs in Perth

Post by Nath »

Yer I used to live in Willetton and then Canning Vale. Last time I was around leaning the Farmington rd butcher was still there.
Market city meats have some good things sometimes, lots off offal aswell, though I don't like there hygiene and presentation as they often have chicken breasts/wings/peices piled up against the front glass on the display cabinet.

On the plus side I still want to pick up a pigs head from there to low and slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nath
joey2810

Post by joey2810 »

Hi mate,

I just got on this forum but thought to still contribute. I have gotten into smoking and cooking ribs for about 2 years now and have been searching all over perth for the best butcher in town that will prepare them for you. It seems everywhere they do pork spare ribs, but ive been searching for someone to cut me loin ribs or otherwise known as baby back ribs and to my surprise no one knows them by this name and all believe spare ribs are baby backs, however my search is over. Mondos butchers in Inglewood, you have to call ahead and explain the cut and it will then take them a couple weeks to get a order in for the baby backs, as they usually discard that cut of the ribs once theyve cut the tenderloins off. However I recently (last week) visited a butcher in northbridge, 'So Fresh butcher' (asian butcher) on william st. I just happened to walk in and ask for loin ribs and showed them a picture and what I heard next was music to my ears, the butcher goes 'oh you mean baby backs' and there i was in heaven. He there and then went and cut me up 3 racks of beautiful baby backs, roughly 800gm-1kg each. I smoked them low and slow and they came out beautiful, and he just told me if you ever need more just call a day or two in advance and I will prepare the quantity you need.

So the top 3 - 'So Fresh Butcher'. Mondos and Wing Don (northbridge). I have found the asian butchers are able to provide quicker service and willing to tailor anything to your needs. Mondos I now use for my steaks and other cuts, but pork ribs I definitely go to 'So Fresh Butcher'

I have been to over 14 butchers in perth asking for the ribs I want and they have been the ones to have provided exactly what I want.

Hope this helps :-)

Joey
Nath

Ribs in Perth

Post by Nath »

Thanks Joey. Got any pics and price?

Nath
Nath
joey2810

Post by joey2810 »

hey nath,

Tomorrow I will be doing a cook, so will take some snap shots and post 'em up.

So depending on size of the baby backs it will be between $16-19/kg. The reason for the up in price is that for the specific size I want, the butcher experiences wastage, so he charges me an extra 2-3 bucks which in the end I'm fine with, as I'm at least getting what I want.

Joey
Nath

Ribs in Perth

Post by Nath »

That's not the highest price I've seen for ribs, and if there meaty it may be worth it.
Kind of given up on ribs but might give these a shot.
It's a good thing when you can find a butcher that will supply what you ask for:)

Nath
Nath
Nath

Post by Nath »

Just picked up some spare ribs from Del Basso Smallgoods in Osborne Park.
$9kg - look to have a decent amount of meat, still not the best, but for the price is ok.

Will post up some pics when i get home, cooking will have to wait until i return from holidays in Africa, might have better luck finding ribs over there :twisted: :twisted:
Nath
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

:)

Poaching the African wildlife even for ribs is frowned upon Nath ;)

Have a great holiday, memory says you have been before so you know it's a great place for great BBQ :)

Cheers
Nath

Ribs in Perth

Post by Nath »

chrisg wrote::)

Poaching the African wildlife even for ribs is frowned upon Nath ;)

Have a great holiday, memory says you have been before so you know it's a great place for great BBQ :)

Cheers
Nope never been! Zimbabwe here we come! There ain't no BBQ in Africa, they Braai though :D
Looking forward to see what cuts i can find to cook up! Hopefully I get a chance, I'll be popping into any butcher I see I recon.

Nath
Nath
ScottL

Post by ScottL »

Nath. If you are going through Nairobi check out carnivores restaurant. They cook different types of game on long skewers over a charcoal pit :lol:
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

ScottL wrote:Nath. If you are going through Nairobi check out carnivores restaurant. They cook different types of game on long skewers over a charcoal pit :lol:
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Nath

Ribs in Perth

Post by Nath »

Wow! Unfortunately not heading that far north.

Nath
Nath