Kosher salt group buy

Please post any food related suppliers in this section.
MrT

Kosher salt group buy

Post by MrT »

Hi all

If you're anything like me, after reading so much about kosher salt on American recipes, you're curious to try some out. From what I understand, it's similar to Maldon Salt flakes, but heaps cheaper. Great for rubs and dry-brining.

usafoods.com.au sells 1.5kg boxes (48oz) for $8.99. This is pretty cheap, but the shipping is the killer. From playing around on the website, it almost seems to be a flat rate, about $10.

To give you an idea of the costs, here is the cost-per-box if we order x number of boxes.

1) $18.39
2) $14.04
3) $12.59
4) $11.87
5) $11.44
6) $11.15

Getting 4 or more seems to be about the magic number.

So, I'd be keen to get a few boxes and split the shipping. I live in Lane Cove, and so if you live somewhere around me, you could come in on the group buy too and just pick up the box from my house. Or, if someone lives a little more central to a bunch of us (but still near me), maybe you could do the order. I guess the benefit of being the one to do the order is that you can buy some other things at the same time and piggy back on the order.

Let me know if you're keen.
Matt
MrT

Kosher salt group buy

Post by MrT »

That's Lane Cove, Sydney, by the way :)
titch

Re: Kosher salt group buy

Post by titch »

Costco sell it.
I have some and guess what, It tastes like salt :wink:
Cheers
Titch
Gumb

Kosher salt group buy

Post by Gumb »

Titch, we buy ours from a shop/factory out on Greens rd, Dandenong so I think that's near you. Really cheap for lots of stuff and well worth a look. Called Hindustan Imports, 50 greens rd. We load up with flour, kosher salt, spices, oils, etc and the wife says some of it is half the price of the local super market.
titch

Post by titch »

Gumb wrote:Titch, we buy ours from a shop out on Greens rd, Dandenong so I think that's near you. Really cheap for lots of stuff and well worth a look. Called Hindustan Imports, 50 greens rd. We load up with flour, kosher salt, spices, etc and the wife says some of it is half the price of the local super market.

Know it well, thanks mate.
cheers
Cheers
Titch
MrT

Kosher salt group buy

Post by MrT »

Costco huh... I'll see if any of my friends are members.

Yeah, I know it's just salt :) NaCl is NaCl. It's about the texture. Maldon salt flakes are crazy expensive, but oh so good. So I'm trying to find a similar but cheaper alternative.
Gumb

Kosher salt group buy

Post by Gumb »

titch wrote:
Gumb wrote:Titch, we buy ours from a shop out on Greens rd, Dandenong so I think that's near you. Really cheap for lots of stuff and well worth a look. Called Hindustan Imports, 50 greens rd. We load up with flour, kosher salt, spices, etc and the wife says some of it is half the price of the local super market.

Know it well, thanks mate.
cheers
Funny how cheap places cost so much, she fills up the trolley and I am out of pocket about $170 ! :)
Percel

Post by Percel »

Is this deal kosher?
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

You can get 20kg bags of butchers flossy salt for under 15 bucks. Same sought of fast disolving stuff.
Isnt "Kosher" a religious thing?
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Gumb

Kosher salt group buy

Post by Gumb »

I thought it was to do with how beasts were killed. Not sure how it relates to salt but some recipes we have here ask for kosher salt. It's large granules.
stubacca

Post by stubacca »

Gumb wrote:I thought it was to do with how beasts were killed. Not sure how it relates to salt but some recipes we have here ask for kosher salt. It's large granules.
Strictly speaking, it should be called "koshering salt". It's the salt that's used in removing the non-kosher blood from meat as part of making meat kosher.

Pretty much all salt is kosher, AFAIK.
Zorba

Post by Zorba »

isnt kosher salt more flaky, kinda like fish food?
Gumb

Kosher salt group buy

Post by Gumb »

Zorba wrote:isnt kosher salt more flaky, kinda like fish food?
Not the one I have here, just coarser grain.
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Smokey Mick wrote:You can get 20kg bags of butchers flossy salt for under 15 bucks. Same sought of fast disolving stuff.
Isnt "Kosher" a religious thing?
+1
Flossy salt is all you need. Cheap and great texture.

Kosher salt is better for when you break a mirror. Being magical it repels bad luck better when you chuck it behind your left shoulder.
bbqlikeaboss

Post by bbqlikeaboss »

Yep as a couple of others have mentioned you can grab it at Costco in bulk bags. Ill be testing it out on some recipes soon so stay tuned.

Cheers

bbqlikeaboss.com