"Red Rock Brisket"

Please post any food related suppliers in this section.
Meatman

Re: "Red Rock Brisket"

Post by Meatman »

Hey guys

As has been said by a few here it's not a simple thing. And yes every cow, steer, heifer and bull in Australia has a brisket but the reality is at this point in time from the research we have done there is precious few that really work well for low and slow BBQ.

My family grow a pretty special beef we sell as Coorong Angus beef which grades in the top end of all beef in Australia for tenderness and is used in some very good restaurants as a steak it does not work nearly as well as the product we have finally found.

The beef we are using is normally exported and even within the exported product you need to be picky again. Probably 60-70% of the grainfed beef sold in Australia is Hormone growth promotant treated and most of this beef also has a hump and for this job from what we have looked at this doesn't give the result we are looking for .

It is not a flat but as Dave said we are looking at the way we take briskets off and there are a few different ways to makimise the end result as per Andy's instructions

As for distribution well you guys are hearing it as it unfolds. AS a cryovac'd product done in an accredited processing room the rules for storage and handling are a little easier to comply with vs breaking beef down but again do vary from state to state.

We plan on offering the entire range of true BBQ cuts via direct distribution within the BBQ community and we will have some briskets that will be ballpark of the Red Rocks in terms of quality that will come in at a reasonable price but will be a bit more hands on for those that use them!. We plan on the "Red Rock" to be the ducks guts in terms of beef quality, trim and preparation. Anyone who has trimmed out a 8kg brisket and prepped it up with a soak knows it takes a while and you lose a fair bit of trim. Neither of which is free!

As in quite a few things BBQ this forum is at the cutting edge of what we are up to and any feedback, thoughts and advice is definitely welcome!
Shooter03

"Red Rock Brisket"

Post by Shooter03 »

Meatman wrote:Hey guys

As has been said by a few here it's not a simple thing. And yes every cow, steer, heifer and bull in Australia has a brisket but the reality is at this point in time from the research we have done there is precious few that really work well for low and slow BBQ.

My family grow a pretty special beef we sell as Coorong Angus beef which grades in the top end of all beef in Australia for tenderness and is used in some very good restaurants as a steak it does not work nearly as well as the product we have finally found.

The beef we are using is normally exported and even within the exported product you need to be picky again. Probably 60-70% of the grainfed beef sold in Australia is Hormone growth promotant treated and most of this beef also has a hump and for this job from what we have looked at this doesn't give the result we are looking for .

It is not a flat but as Dave said we are looking at the way we take briskets off and there are a few different ways to makimise the end result as per Andy's instructions

As for distribution well you guys are hearing it as it unfolds. AS a cryovac'd product done in an accredited processing room the rules for storage and handling are a little easier to comply with vs breaking beef down but again do vary from state to state.

We plan on offering the entire range of true BBQ cuts via direct distribution within the BBQ community and we will have some briskets that will be ballpark of the Red Rocks in terms of quality that will come in at a reasonable price but will be a bit more hands on for those that use them!. We plan on the "Red Rock" to be the ducks guts in terms of beef quality, trim and preparation. Anyone who has trimmed out a 8kg brisket and prepped it up with a soak knows it takes a while and you lose a fair bit of trim. Neither of which is free!

As in quite a few things BBQ this forum is at the cutting edge of what we are up to and any feedback, thoughts and advice is definitely welcome!

Get in my belly!!!!

Tap'n Like A Boss on my 5 while grilling on my Weber!
Grill Pro Australia

Post by Grill Pro Australia »

kendoll wrote:Is it just the flat? Some of them look thin for a whole brisket. Maybe it's my eyes. :D

The ones rubbed and on the Yoder look thicker than the one pictured raw and trimmed.

Ken
Hi Ken,
This is probably more a question for Meat man but the Red Rock Brisket pictured are all pretty much the same.... mostly point end.

Cheers, Dave
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, BBQr's Delight Pellets, Hammer Stahl Knives and American Rubs & Sauces into Australia
https://www.yodersmokers.net.au/
https://bbqrsdelight.net.au//
Instagram: @GRILL_PRO
Grill Pro Australia

Grill Pro will have Meatman's fabulous "Red Rock Brisket" available in our Brisket Rolls for sale at the upcoming BBQ Festival in Melboiurne on the 1st, 2nd & 3rd of March & we may even have one or 2 cooking in our Yoder YS1320 Pellet Cooker - the smell alone will drive people nuts!

We cooked up a fair amount of Brisket last year ( also purchased frm Meat man ) for the Adelaide BBQ Festival, but his new hand selected, trimmed & pumped Red Rock Brisket is certainlly the next level, the Ducks Guts indeed Richard!

Cheers, Dave
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, BBQr's Delight Pellets, Hammer Stahl Knives and American Rubs & Sauces into Australia
Grill Pro Australia

Re:

Shooter03 wrote:

Get in my belly!!!!

Tap'n Like A Boss on my 5 while grilling on my Weber!
[/quote]

Correct answer!!!
Grill Pro Australia
pasey25

Post by pasey25 »

the ability for all members to have access to top quality cuts is one of the key things this forum could use.

i personally can't wait.
NotoriousPIG

Post by NotoriousPIG »

As long as the Brisket doesn't go the way of the lamb shank (price wise) then im happy as larry. :mrgreen:
donburke wrote:to answer your question "what can be better"
beer & bbq is pretty darn good, but still comes in 2nd to hookers and toot
Meatman

Post by Meatman »

Pigofnote

Do not fear on a 300kg steer there is 20+ kg of brisket. There is less than a kg of shank on a lamb.

In fact brisket is the highest percentage of any cut in a carcass.

it might go up but not by much
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Ill give it a burl, Normaly I get it for six bucks a kg, Sometimes good and sometimes crap.
If it cost a little more and I dont have to go out and get it,,,
Id love to give it a try
let me know when I can get some to try
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
NotoriousPIG

Post by NotoriousPIG »

Meatman wrote:Pigofnote

Do not fear on a 300kg steer there is 20+ kg of brisket. There is less than a kg of shank on a lamb.

In fact brisket is the highest percentage of any cut in a carcass.

it might go up but not by much
Wooooohoooooooo now that's what I wanted to here can't wait to get some off Chris!!!!
The sooner the better. :twisted:
donburke wrote:to answer your question "what can be better"
beer & bbq is pretty darn good, but still comes in 2nd to hookers and toot
Windsurf

Post by Windsurf »

Grill Pro Australia wrote:Grill Pro will have Meatman's fabulous "Red Rock Brisket" available in our Brisket Rolls for sale at the upcoming BBQ Festival in Melboiurne on the 1st, 2nd & 3rd of March & we may even have one or 2 cooking in our Yoder YS1320 Pellet Cooker - the smell alone will drive people nuts! ...
Can't wait to try it. Never had brisket before.
Grill Pro Australia

Windsurf wrote:
Grill Pro Australia wrote:Grill Pro will have Meatman's fabulous "Red Rock Brisket" available in our Brisket Rolls for sale at the upcoming BBQ Festival in Melboiurne on the 1st, 2nd & 3rd of March & we may even have one or 2 cooking in our Yoder YS1320 Pellet Cooker - the smell alone will drive people nuts! ...
Can't wait to try it. Never had brisket before.
This Brisket is awesome, here is the Brisket Roll we did at the Adelaide BBQ Festival last year ( we will be doing these same rolls in Melbourne )

Cheers, Dave
Grill Pro Australia
Mountain Mick

Post by Mountain Mick »

most Brisket in Austarlia becomes Rolled Roast aka Pot Roast and the fact that it Awesome and taste, but the Brisket in the USA is different cut of meat to our Ozzie cut of Brisket the USA Brisket comes from were our Blade /Chuck comes from and our Brisket is what they call Plate and Flank/Skirt so maybe do what I do buy a whole Blade and cook it as USA Brisket.

USA meat cuts beef

Australian Beef Cuts

And Yes That Red Rock Brisket looks the bomb , In was drooling just looing at the pic :mrgreen: . MM :D :P :) :lol: :wink:
Image Image
21st century caveman Mountain Mick www.mountaingriller.com
Meatman

Post by Meatman »

Mountain mick, our brisket and US brisket is reasonably similar. The point is the point in both instances. The pic you put up has the shank laying across the point of the brisket in the Australian cut. It is right but the picture lacks 3D as the shank lays over the top of the point

We do however roll up a lot of navel end which does cross over with the flank area depending on your quartering point of the carcass. A lot of butchers just refer to this (ie navel end) as "brisket" and based on pix I have seen on here lots of blokes are sold this when the go looking for brisket. It is a nice piece of meat but not quite as good as the point end which they would be putting in mince, sausages or marinated steak.

The way they seam out and prep their briskets in the US appears a little different to me and I'm looking forward to learning from Andy Gronemann exactly what is done

Last noticeable difference is US beef is normally from 350kg carcase 120 day cornfed beef. Most of their beef is a similar weight and production method. It is much more consistent across the board. Our beef varies so much due to the huge range of customers we sell to from Brahmans live ex to Indonesia, to 450 day wagyu to Japan

However Nearly all domestic beef in Australia comes from carcass weights under 300kg most supermarkets use about 250kg beef and most butchers about 210ishkg
spuds

Post by spuds »

I'm asking around Sydney with as good an explanation of the cut as possible. If I find anything, i'll pass it on.