Sydney Brisket Butchers/Delivery

Please post any food related suppliers in this section.
Kevwing

Sydney Brisket Butchers/Delivery

Post by Kevwing »

Lockdown has given me a real kick up the butt and all this spare time

Can't go to Costco and grab a brisket. ($14/kg)

So now i have been hunting around trying to look for new farms

I hear Riverina and Cape Grimm are quite good

After doing research, i've been trying to look for places to buy Brisket that aren't costing an arm and a leg.. (this is actually the reason why i haven't been cooking brisket)

i don't see why Sydney butchers are charging me $25/kg when in Brisbane and Melbourne are charging $18-20/kg?

So my question is... where is everyone getting their brisket in Sydney?

EDIT: Cape Grimm and Riverina in Sydney averages $25/kg but if you go to Melbourne and Brisbane online butchers its only around $19-20
12x7

Re: Sydney Brisket Butchers/Delivery

Post by 12x7 »

Meat is expensive and increasing in price.

Harris Farm - https://www.harrisfarm.com.au/

Tender Gourmet Butchery - https://tendergourmetbutchery.com.au/
titch

Post by titch »

I just paid 16.99 a kilo here (online), from Tooradin, looks to be about 25% fat
Cheers
Titch
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Not only here apparently, the Yanks are now crying in their cryovac about Briskets becoming so popular that they have esculated in price so even they are looking for cheaper alternatives.

I think Vic Meats will do deliveries as well as Gourmet Butchers.

I think a good sized chuck roast is as good and tasty as a brisket, just won't give you that uniform size.

I'm the same, the closest Costco to me is about 30 minute drive and well and truly outside my restricted LGA.

In fact, I'm not really finding the Costco love the last few times I've been there, the meat is really not that cheap and if you check the use by date, it's often 1 or 2 days before it's best by date. I know it's only a guide but not much space for error.

I'm actually beginning to ask myself whether continuing with the $60 yearly membership is actually worth it for me because it's only myself and the Mrs and we don't have a huge freezer.

They stopped importing one of my favourite products and that is instant mash powder made from genuine organic Idaho Potatoes, the taste of this mash is so much better than any I've ever tasted here in Australia. I was so pissed off that I almost threw my card back at them.

We drink a lot of Japanese green tea at home so we always buy 2 x 100 bag boxes and that lasts us a couple of Months, maybe 3.

Yeah, back to meat, i used to buy Tri-tip steaks from Costco but even they are so much more exxy than before and my wife buys the Pork Yaki-niku sliced pork belly. We love doing yaki-niku on the kettle just eating it off the grill after it's grilled. We use one of those rectangle chinese grilling mesh over the main grill grates to stop the thin peices from falling through.

I think the best value in Costco is the lamb and fish, but the Mrs hates lamb so I'm screwed :(

So have a look at meat wholesalers and retailers in Sydney and see how much you have to buy to get free delivery, it probably works out fairly economical. Call Vic's Meats to find out about brisket.

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Kevwing

Post by Kevwing »

Yeah, it is quite annoying

I know meat is going up in price because of the US. Talking to a friend a few years back who works at a butcher was saying that the US is using our high grade beef for mince because our dollar isn't so great either

Regardless, you'd think the price would be consistent throughout states for Cape Grimm

At the moment, trying Harris Farms now to see if they can bring it in which i heard is possible

Yeah, the Pork is good quality at Costco i find. I cook Korean Pork Belly BBQ quite often. I was very impressed after a few separate purchases.
The meat doesn't shrink much retaining more flavour and juice.
These days, hard to find good layered pork belly.
The only thing is, the sliced one at Costco they remove the pork skin. So I would typically buy a whole one and slice it myself
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

I still think Australian consumers are subsidizing exports so the world can eat the best of our meats for so much cheaper than we can.

A few years back, a friend of mine who runs a little curry cafe in the Mountain of Gunma Prefecture, Japan couldn't beleive the price of lamb in Coles, he could get Aussie lamb in Japan half the price than we can buy it for....

I truly feel for the elderly pensioners who look forlornly at the meat section wishing they could buy some meat for home......it's heart breaking.

cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Even though meat is expensive the Gourmet Butchers are so busy they're having trouble keeping up with the deliveries.