Maverick BBQ Thermometer

Please post here any info in relation to BBQ product suppliers.
Company "ads" allowed as long as they pertain to BBQ-ing
jerrycl

Maverick BBQ Thermometer

Post by jerrycl »

Just wanted to post a plug for these guys at Maverick Industries in the US. I bought an E732 - see here:

http://www.maverickhousewares.com/et732.htm

Anyway, this product makes roasting on the Baby Q pretty simple - as posts on this forum suggest. But I ran into problems with the smoker probe within a couple of months of purchasing the unit - these probes are really very delicate and need to be treated with care.

The guys at Maverick were good enough to ship me a replacement smoker probe and a further two replacements (both food and smoker probes) free of charge from the US when I emailed them about my problem. I was pretty impressed with their customer service. The guy that helped me goes by the name Nijmeh.

A quick scan of the customer feedback at Amazon.com suggests that all these remote BBQ thermometers are prone to probe issues. The main thing seems to be to get a product that enjoys good after sales support. I have no problems recommending the guys at Maverick or the E732 given they are looking after me from half a world away.
urbangriller

Re: Maverick BBQ Thermometer

Post by urbangriller »

Hi Jerry.

I import select parts of the Maverick range: ET-732, ET-85 and the ET-75 rotisserie remote. I carry spare probes for all of them and the 6foot replacements for the ET-732.

If anyone has an issue with a probe, I can sort that. Replacement of probes is done by me now, any other issues, we still need to talk to Nijmeh, but I can help with that.

The intention here is to increase the Maverick range and offer as close to full service as we can, here in Australia.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
TheOtherLeft

Post by TheOtherLeft »

Wow, lots of bad reviews on Amazon about the probes.

I was just about to buy a ET-732 as well.

May have to rethink it now.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Are you sure you are talking about the ET-732, it's only been on the market a few months and one of the features is the upgraded probes, the old Et-73 probes would die at 400F (200C), the new ones are good to 600F. Of course any probe will die if it gets wet.

I've just sorted the warranty replacement of probes with Maverick, and they are replaced by me in Australia (unless it wasn't bought here), no problem.

But, for any probe on any unit, treat it like a newborn and never let it be pulled, or jammed and never let it get wet.

Chris
TheOtherLeft

Post by TheOtherLeft »

Yes it's the ET732.
http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Wireless ... ewpoints=1

The complaints seem to be mainly about the probes getting wet, moisture ingress at the probe/wire joint in the BBQ, also poor user interface, and the faceplate falling off.
paulr
Forum Administrator

Post by paulr »

urbangriller wrote:the old Et-73 probes would die at 400F (200C), the new ones are good to 600F. Of course any probe will die if it gets wet.

Chris
I fried mine (a while back) so I can order a new probe through you???
Great!

Paul
http://aussiebbq.info/wp - my blog
https://lifesafeast.com.au/cookingclass ... criptions/ - great cooking classes
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Yes, no problem Paul.

Standard length probes are in stock. Expecting a shipment in a week with 6 foot replacements for both food and BBQ.

Cheers
Chris
TheOtherLeft

Post by TheOtherLeft »

I've now dismissed the idea of buying a ET732 due to wire/probe issue. I'm now looking at an instant read digital thermometer such as a Thermapen.
Last edited by TheOtherLeft on Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrSweetsmoke

Post by DrSweetsmoke »

I'll be looking into this one real soon!!

ET-75 rotisserie remote.
shiska

Post by shiska »

I was looking to buy one of these also,I love the concept,but the reliability of the probe lead and probe is of concern,this probe reliability is also the Webers remote thermometer problem also. I have read that if you wrap Alfoil around the probe wire twice,this will form a air gap,and will help insulate the probe lead from excess heat and water,especially where the probe lead connects to the probe. Has anyone tried this with favorable results?

Cheers

shiska
Chalky

Post by Chalky »

I've got 2 ET732's and never had any problems with the probes, I don't treat them roughly .. but I don't mollycoddle them either
I just keep the wire part dry and away from flames or excess heat

most times

Chalky
ImageImage
the best part of a chook is the last bit over the fence
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

DrSweetsmoke wrote:I'll be looking into this one real soon!!

ET-75 rotisserie remote.
Hey Doc!

I ordered some of the Rotisserie Remotes in next weeks shipment, I'm keen to see them as well!

Chris
Last edited by urbangriller on Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

shiska wrote:I was looking to buy one of these also,I love the concept,but the reliability of the probe lead and probe is of concern,this probe reliability is also the Webers remote thermometer problem also. I have read that if you wrap Alfoil around the probe wire twice,this will form a air gap,and will help insulate the probe lead from excess heat and water,especially where the probe lead connects to the probe. Has anyone tried this with favorable results?

Cheers

shiska
Like Chalky says, be careful and you won't have a problem. There are three main reasons for probe failure:

Pulling the wire to remove the probe from the meat (or jamming it in the BBQ Lid).

Cooking the wire by using it in a BBQ that's too hot or running the wire over the flame.

Getting moisture inside the probe, take care how you place it in the meat, never wash the probe or wire and I store mine point up when I can.

Some people wrap in foil, this just protects (so they say) the wire from the flame.

Cheers
Chris
shiska

Post by shiska »

Thanks Chalky and Urbangriller for the heads up on this,I will reconsider the purchase of the ET732.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Ive never had a prob with my 73, But I only use it for low temp cooking.
I dont use it if I do a roast pork fore quarter with high roasting heat. That is what a pen probe is for.
BTW, Urban Griller, That Thermo pen is the ducks nuts. It is probably the single most used and important kitchen device I have.
I took it to Sydney with me and demo'd it to all my family,
My sister was cooking steaks on her weber 220 and said she likes them medium.
I thought they were done and she wanted them on for longer. Stuck the Thermopen in and seconds later told her "there Done"
The Thermo pen dont lie :lol:
Thanks heaps for making them available
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au