Aldi Sous Vide Multicooker

Please post here any info in relation to BBQ product suppliers.
Company "ads" allowed as long as they pertain to BBQ-ing
gnol

Aldi Sous Vide Multicooker

Post by gnol »

Aldi has this for sale next Wednesday.

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys ... lticooker/

Anyone seen them around before or ever used one?
Mixin

Re: Aldi Sous Vide Multicooker

Post by Mixin »

I have one, which I have used heaps.

Holds temp pretty well (measured with a thermapen in the water to check). The inner pan is easily removed & washed up, and I've never needed anything other than the 2 racks they give you. I have only cooked vac-bagged items in it (either done myself, or commercially sealed). Great for doing salmon to the perfect temp, and as many have said on here, good for steaks as a cook-through method, followed up by a quick sear over charcoal. I've even played around with pre-saucing meat in the vac bag, and letting it stew in it's own juices & sauce.

Bit fiddly with the setup - you have to program a time & temp, and essentially you have to turn it off & start again if you want to change it.

Also, on the warm-up cycle, it heats to temp, then stops & beeps - if you're not there to catch it, the timer doesn't start by itself, so it's not a set & forget. It can take 40 minutes to get to the temp you want, and that's a lot of waiting around. To minimise this I boil the kettle & try to guess the right amount of hot & cold water, and how much the meat will drop the temp, so I only have to wait 10-15 minutes.
Weber Kettle Fanatic....
Main go-to: Blue 57cm OTG
Fire restriction option: Black 57cm M/T butchered with a Weber gas conversion.
GMG DC for the lazy smoky cooks.
Weeknight special: Q200
Problem? What problem?
GPH

Re: Aldi Sous Vide Multicooker

Post by GPH »

Personally I wouldn't give it shel space. Buy a "Real" one. It will change your life. ..... Well maybe not, but the right tool will mean the right result. ( I use Sous Vide Supreme).