Electric carving knife - any suggestions ?

Please post here any info in relation to BBQ product suppliers.
Company "ads" allowed as long as they pertain to BBQ-ing
Gumb

Electric carving knife - any suggestions ?

Post by Gumb »

My last electric carving knife has died and I'm looking for a replacement. I find they are useful for thin slicing roasts etc and although i can do it with a nice sharp knife, i like the ease of the electric version. I've looked at a couiple of reviews and some are getting a bad wrap. Most which are available seem to be the Sunbeam or Breville but reports on them don't look good. They are generally in the range of $40-$60 and I don't mind paying for a good one so can go higher but I'm struggling to find one. Any suggestions ? (Yes, I already know i'm going to be told to get a good sharp carving knife and forget the electric version :D )
chrisg

Re: Electric carving knife - any suggestions ?

Post by chrisg »

Cuisinart make a great one but I don't think it is being imported to Oz as yet, worth asking at Kitchen Warehouse I guess because they do now stock a lot of that brand.

According to some reviews I've seen B&D is a close runner up and those you can get here, and not expensive at all:

http://www.ripperdeals-au.com/index.cgi ... k%20decker

Can't say I've seen them in the shops but can say no B&D product has ever let me down.

I'm actually idly looking for a new one myself since the two in the bottom drawer are stuffed, my carving skills are awful so anything that helps I'll seize upon :)

Cheers
Romulus

Post by Romulus »

I bought a Sunbeam in 2004 and it's still going strong - no complaints.

Mind you, it doesn't get used constantly - usually only when we want to carve a roast once or twice a month or the X-Mas ham, so I suppose your mileage may vary.

Depends on how much/ heavy a use you need it for, but the same probably applies for most of these appliances.

If I had one niggle about it, it would only be that it no longer came with the little bracket for mounting it on the wall above the counter, like the previous one ( bought in 1983 ), that it replaced.
Image Image
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

I'd only use it for the fortnightly Sunday roast too, so it doesn't get a lot of use. The online reviews for almost all of them which are available in Aus are really bad.
GPH

Post by GPH »

Have you considered using a quality Ham Knife, vs carving knife? The length means longer more even (thin) slices.