Sous Vide

Please post here any info in relation to BBQ product suppliers.
Company "ads" allowed as long as they pertain to BBQ-ing
aussieant32

Sous Vide

Post by aussieant32 »

Just picked me up a sous vide :) Got the The Sunbeam Duos. Its a tad small at 5.5L but there is only 2 of us and its really only for heating left overs. Plus the wife wasn't keen on another appliance so being able to get rid of our old slow cooker was a swaying point :P

Also didn't want to drop a bomb on one in case I don't use it alot.
Coolabah Gas Smoker, Weber One Touch, Dragon Kamado
magste

Post by magste »

I got myself an Anova for Xmas and have played a bit with it. Gives nice results, even though I still need to get used to this way of cooking. Doesn't seem as genuine as Bbqing... :-)
Magnus
---------------------------------------

A Q, a Keg & a Kettle
aussieant32

Re: Sous Vide

Post by aussieant32 »

lol. I wont be using it much for cooking, more for reheating. A few things id like to try in there though
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

I don't know what it is but I just can't wrap my head around cooing in water. :roll:
WarmBeer

Post by WarmBeer »

Gumb wrote:I don't know what it is but I just can't wrap my head around cooing in water. :roll:
Maybe this will help change your mind...

Dragon Kamado | Weber OTS | Hark (Aldi) Smoker | Rusty Gasser
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

I don't doubt the method or the results, I just can't see myself standing over one with a beer in hand. :)
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

its more of a set and forget/ Put the sous vide on. Get a beer and sit by the BBQ :P
Tasmaniac65

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

I like the way you think mate, cheers
Coop
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

you know how we are in the shire mate
Rafiki

Sous Vide

Post by Rafiki »

WarmBeer, that looks like it's had a bit of colour.... I take it the steak was kissed by flame before it went in the drink??
Was that a re-heat job? or a twice-cooked slab-o-beef (grilled & sou'd)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Give a man a bbq feed him for a day. Teach a man to bbq and feed him for the summer" - Jesus
Rafiki

Sous Vide

Post by Rafiki »

You're located in "The Shire" aussieant??
are we talking Sutherland Shire??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Give a man a bbq feed him for a day. Teach a man to bbq and feed him for the summer" - Jesus
Medicoman

Post by Medicoman »

I have never really followed cooking Sous Vide until I walked in to my lounge and watched the very gorgeous Justine Schofield vacuum bagging a boned shoulder of lamb and putting it into the sous vide on her cooking show.
In fact I didn't even know how to pronounce the words. Justine called it "soo vid".
I don't have a sous vide cooker nor do I have a vacuum sealer. I do have a slow cooker and a temperature gauge with infra red scanner
I would like to know if I use the slow cooker on low and place the meat in a reasonable large clear plastic bag and place into the cooker with the open end out of the water, would it work?
woodpelletgrill

Post by woodpelletgrill »

Medicoman wrote:I have never really followed cooking Sous Vide until I walked in to my lounge and watched the very gorgeous Justine Schofield vacuum bagging a boned shoulder of lamb and putting it into the sous vide on her cooking show.
In fact I didn't even know how to pronounce the words. Justine called it "soo vid".
I don't have a sous vide cooker nor do I have a vacuum sealer. I do have a slow cooker and a temperature gauge with infra red scanner
I would like to know if I use the slow cooker on low and place the meat in a reasonable large clear plastic bag and place into the cooker with the open end out of the water, would it work?
If you have the simplest slow cooker, just on/off without micor-computer control, you can add a thermostat to it and do perfect Sous vide.
You do not need a sealer. In China we can buy food class bag with zigzag .
You can warm/simmer lamb at 58 to 60 C for 24 hours.
But personally I prefer low & slow smoking than Sous Vide
Tasmaniac65

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

[quote="Rafiki"]You're located in "The Shire" aussieant??
are we talking Sutherland Shire??

Mate is there any where else in the world simply called "The Shire" 8) 8) 8)
Tasmaniac65

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

One of the easiest things to Sous Vide are Chicken Breasts. I do them at 63.5c for 2 hrs or a bit less if split and filled with a Tomato and Cheese mix (Mozza, Fetta, Parmasen...) or Pesto makes a great filling. Filling really adds a lot of flavour to the end result and my whole family loves them, cheers
Coop
Shire Boy