Cyberq power supply question

Please post here any info in relation to BBQ product suppliers.
Company "ads" allowed as long as they pertain to BBQ-ing
thenewguy

Cyberq power supply question

Post by thenewguy »

Hi guys,

I just recently bought a cyberq wifi and I was looking for suggestions for a power supply for it. I don't have any outdoor power points and keeping the sliding door open with an extension cable from a power point inside might let all the smoke in.

I was think of buying the 12v adapter for the cyber q and connecting it to one of these:

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online ... mendations

Has anyone done anything similar to power a cyberq?
Gumb

Re: Cyberq power supply question

Post by Gumb »

Seems a lot to spend to solve one problem and I'm not sur I'd be hooking up and expensive gadget to that. Wouldn't it cost about the same to have an outdoor power point installed ?
yakabot

Post by yakabot »

Unless thenewguy is in a rental. That makes things like extra power points harder.
thenewguy

Post by thenewguy »

I'm not sure installing an outdoor power point is possible in my case as I'm in an apartment and the wall on my balcony seems to be solid concrete.

Hmmm...looks like I might have to keep with the extension cord idea...
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

I don't have one and can't seem to find how much power it draws but there must be something cheaper than a jumpstarter ?

Rental or no I know what I'd be doing - drill a hole somewhere, window or door frame is good, cut the end off a good power extension, feed the cord through and fit a new extension cord socket, not exactly hard but also probably not exactly legal :)

Cheers
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

chrisg wrote:
Rental or no I know what I'd be doing - drill a hole somewhere, window or door frame is good, cut the end off a good power extension, feed the cord through and fit a new extension cord socket, not exactly hard but also probably not exactly legal :)

Cheers
Geez, I'm glad you aren't renting from me. :shock:
thenewguy

Post by thenewguy »

chrisg wrote:I don't have one and can't seem to find how much power it draws but there must be something cheaper than a jumpstarter ?

Cheers
I've been in discussion with the very helpful people at bbqguru, I've been told it draws under 1 amp to run both the cyber q and the fan it comes with. I've actually also spoken with the people from supercheap auto but I've gotten conflicting answers. One of their people told me it would power the stoker for 40 hours, but then one other person told me that it might not be such a good idea to use the jumpstarter for it since that's not what it's for. But out of curiosity, why would a jumpstarter have 12v sockets on it if not to power devices with a 12v adaptor?
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

Well, without having a look at the actual circuit of the jumpstarter it's not really sensible to give an answer but the juice needed to jumpstart a car is considerably more than 1 Amp so unless there is some protection circuitry across the 12v outlets I'd be very wary as well. Saying that I'd be pretty certain that there is but it's a very expensive solution to getting 1amp out to the BBQ.

I do understand what Gumb is saying but think about it, just how many holes does a typical house get drilled into it over time ?

One small hole in an unobtrusive place that can always be sealed up is neither here nor there. In my place, which is a rental the landlord who is a bit of a BBQ nut himself would probably do it himself. Straight through and if necessary seal it up with a bit of caulk. If it ever needs to be made good Supercheap do all manner of "liquid metal" to do the job in an aluminium frame and no one would ever notice or care, a wooden frame even easier.

However again at my place I don't have the problem, run an extension cord through the cat flap :)

1Amp though... needs a bit of lateral thinking, there will be some sort of battery pack around for powering something that can be adapted for a lot less cost than that jumpstarter, preferably rechargeable.

I'd be looking at additional power sources for portable computers or comms equipment, if you are getting the car adapter that's about all you'd have to modify, no warranty problems with the CyberQ itself.

Cheers
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Why not just buy the Party Q? battery powered from the factory.
fleetz

Post by fleetz »

10 metre extension cable from bunnings is $10....I think their 25 metre is less than $25.

The purchase a 12v regulated power supply from Jaycar......lest than $25.

Wind it up at the end of the cook....
Yoder YS640 on comp cart, Grill Grates for the YS640, Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5, CyberQ WiFi Controller, Maverick ET-732, Maverick ET-733, Thermapen, Weber Q 320, A-MAZ-N 6" and 12" tubes
fleetz

Post by fleetz »

Yoder YS640 on comp cart, Grill Grates for the YS640, Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5, CyberQ WiFi Controller, Maverick ET-732, Maverick ET-733, Thermapen, Weber Q 320, A-MAZ-N 6" and 12" tubes
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

He's trying to get rid of the extension chord and it runs off 240v
fleetz

Post by fleetz »

Opps didn't see that Gumb.....

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MB3692 fully charged should give you 12 plus hours running. Just run it from the 12V cig output. $99

I have seen the slightly larger version in action at our kids go karting. It runs a 12v air compressor which is used for intermittent use. http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MB3694 in you application the smaller version should be fine for one long cook then a recharge.
thenewguy

Post by thenewguy »

fleetz wrote:Opps didn't see that Gumb.....

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MB3692 fully charged should give you 12 plus hours running. Just run it from the 12V cig output. $99

I have seen the slightly larger version in action at our kids go karting. It runs a 12v air compressor which is used for intermittent use. http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MB3694 in you application the smaller version should be fine for one long cook then a recharge.

Thanks fleetz, so yeah, that jumpstarter from jaycar is cheaper than the supercheap auto one. So you think that should last 12 hours to do a brisket or a pulled pork?
woodpelletgrill

Post by woodpelletgrill »

I have posted a power bank with 4 pieces of Li-ion battery, type 18650.
It can be charged by your mobile phone charger.
It can drive a 10 CFM blower at full speed for 6 hours.
I try to sell it with my cold smoke generator, BBQ controller, and sell it directly.
I get no enquiry. I suppose you guys prefer ac/dc adapter than battery.
I myself is using battery