Pizzeria by Smash Kettle Pizza attachment

Please post here any info in relation to BBQ product suppliers.
Company "ads" allowed as long as they pertain to BBQ-ing
Nath

Post by Nath »

It's a bit flimsy and hard to work with to keep it from warping. Doesn't help my 20 year old redhead has a warped head. The seal is good enough for hot roti roasts though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nath
Hamish

Re: Pizzeria by Smash Kettle Pizza attachment

Post by Hamish »

Nath wrote:It's a bit flimsy and hard to work with to keep it from warping. Doesn't help my 20 year old redhead has a warped head. The seal is good enough for hot roti roasts though.

Great work Nath!!!
I 'Cue BBQ
Olsen Brand Charcoal Aficionado "hotter than a shower with your cousin"

Hark Tri Fire - 2011 Weber OTG - 1983 Weber OT (work in progress) - Cadac Charcoal Pro
Instagram: @icuebbq
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

Great work Nath!
Give that redhead a bear hug it'll be back in shape in no time
Viva La Charcoal Revolution
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
Nath

Post by Nath »

Hogsy wrote:Great work Nath!
Give that redhead a bear hug it'll be back in shape in no time
:D yer I have tried but I'll give it another go sometime.

Nath
jobski

Post by jobski »

Do you have some sort of guide on how you converted the pizzeria to a roti ring? Tools used etc... thanks :)
Nath

Post by Nath »

Hi jobski.
I just used a small battery grinder with a 1mm stainless steel cut off wheel. A set of tin snips. Drill and rivet gun.
Cut the "mouth" off one ring (just either side of the opening)
Cut the other ring just behind the handles on the opposite side to the opening.
Trim the top "rolled edge" off the piece without the handles on where the two pieces will overlap.
I overlapped and riveted one side together first, then sat it on the kettle, and adjusted/overlapped the other side until it had a snug on the kettle.
Clamped that side, then drilled and riveted.
Mount the roti brackets
Cut out for the roti rod.
It's pretty easy to do if you have basic skills. Bit of a pain in the arse to drill though coes it's stainless. (And I had blunt bits which didn't help)

Nath
Nath

Post by Nath »

I'll try take some more photos and post it up.

Nath
gnik1

Post by gnik1 »

Okay I'm a sucker I went and bought one yesterday and made the modification as per Yamapro.
What wood do you add to the fire when using the attachment. I thought I was going to get a notice from the fire dept because of the smoke when I added the wood to the charcoal. I am using the hot shot fire wood from Bunnies but it got so bad that the smoke alarm in the kitchen went off and I could only managed to get a maximum of 500F. I would like to try again but I expect my neighbours will complain if I create that much smoke.
Jars

Post by Jars »

gnik1 wrote:Okay I'm a sucker I went and bought one yesterday and made the modification as per Yamapro.
What wood do you add to the fire when using the attachment. I thought I was going to get a notice from the fire dept because of the smoke when I added the wood to the charcoal. I am using the hot shot fire wood from Bunnies but it got so bad that the smoke alarm in the kitchen went off and I could only managed to get a maximum of 500F. I would like to try again but I expect my neighbours will complain if I create that much smoke.
You'd probably be better off making a fire with lump charcoal and maybe some heat beads mixed in. I don't think you'd get enough air into it to have a proper wood fire going in there.
Yoder YS480 || Weber OTS Premium || Weber Go Anywhere || Weber Jumbo Joe || Keg Spit || 'Golden Moth' UDS
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Have a look at this bloke (who invented the kettle Pizza) with a charcoal/wood fire in his, some boring "make a pizza" stuff but at 7.5 min he adds wood to the fire:

And this chat about using a steel heat deflector is worth reading as well.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2 ... -oven.html

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

I add split jarrah to a coal fire to spike the temps on my KP, buries the needle on the inbuilt thermometer!
I 'Cue BBQ
Olsen Brand Charcoal Aficionado "hotter than a shower with your cousin"

Hark Tri Fire - 2011 Weber OTG - 1983 Weber OT (work in progress) - Cadac Charcoal Pro
Instagram: @icuebbq
Mixin

Post by Mixin »

I do a chimney of well-lit stick charcoal, with a few robot turds to give it some endurance, then throw some cut & split lengths of hardwood on that.
The hardwood I'm using is the rails from an old paling fence (hardwood, not treated) and wall framing timber from a 1940s house that friends demolished - the stuff that causes the drill bit to smoke when you drill a hole for a hook.

This was the first fire I did, which worked well - notice it's only in the rear 1/2 of the kettle.

It sits on 500 for ages, then once it drops to 420-430 another chunk or 2 gets it back up quickly.
(bear in mind, the thermometer on mine is beside the mouth, so it's probably a bit hotter than it's showing).
This is how I do all my fires now, and it works great - maybe about 5 minutes per pizza, rather than 2-3, but it cooks the top like it's done in the oven, and there's only 2 (sometimes 3) of us, so speed is not an issue.

You can over-do the fire though. On Australia day I did one using the whole fire grate, but it went well over 650 indicating on the questionable "smash" gauge, and melted the handles on the smash ring. It also "vapourised" the base of the pizza in about 30 seconds, without the top cooking properly. Once the fire died down, and the stone cooled for a bit, it went back to doing good pizza.
Weber Kettle Fanatic....
Main go-to: Blue 57cm OTG
Fire restriction option: Black 57cm M/T butchered with a Weber gas conversion.
GMG DC for the lazy smoky cooks.
Weeknight special: Q200
Problem? What problem?
Mixin

Post by Mixin »

And the other thing - don't choke it, as that will cause it to smoke even worse.

This is how much gap (minimum) I leave at the rear now, to let the fire breathe (I now use fireplace "tiles" to line the lower rack with, but that's another story.....)

Weber Kettle Fanatic....
Main go-to: Blue 57cm OTG
Fire restriction option: Black 57cm M/T butchered with a Weber gas conversion.
GMG DC for the lazy smoky cooks.
Weeknight special: Q200
Problem? What problem?
gnik1

Post by gnik1 »

Thanks for all the advise I used it again today and used smaller Tas oak wood pieces more like kindling, looks like old floor boards but on the box it said suitable for BBQ and wood fire, on special at Bunnings it was much better still a little bit of smoke but bearable and the heat was in the 800-900 fahrenheit.

I am a little peeved with myself I should have used one of my other kettle's instead of my gold since I managed to melt the lid holder stopper :cry:
Nath

Post by Nath »

Be careful building a very hot fire against the side of the kettle also.
Pretty sure i have damaged the enamel on the outside of one of my kettles using it as a fire pit.

So using an older kettle would be advisable.
Nath