Pizzeria by Smash Kettle Pizza attachment

Please post here any info in relation to BBQ product suppliers.
Company "ads" allowed as long as they pertain to BBQ-ing
Mixin

Re: Pizzeria by Smash Kettle Pizza attachment

Post by Mixin »

I'm back home from holidays now, so I went to my local bunnies. Not one ring in sight....
Thanks to the receipt scan, they were able to look up their system, and found they had one left in a bulk location.
I have to go back tomorrow, as they aren't allowed to use the forklifts during trading hours.

He wouldn't match the $17.50 price - he claims that would have been a single store manager's clearance special, but he was happy to match the $20 runout price that was listed against it in their system. He did say they had a lot of returns, and warned me to check the fitment...... :D

So tomorrow I'll check the bunnies near work & do the same for a 2nd one
Weber Kettle Fanatic....
Main go-to: Blue 57cm OTG
Fire restriction option: Black 57cm M/T butchered with a Weber gas conversion.
GMG DC for the lazy smoky cooks.
Weeknight special: Q200
Problem? What problem?
gordona000

Post by gordona000 »

Yeah Food&Fish..
Seemingly when they uploaded from the iPhone, they got rotated.. ?
Is there a method to rotate to the correct orientation?

- good luck Mixin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cooking on:
OTS - Brown - H, OTS - Blue - DR, Compact - Black - AD, WGA - Black - AH, Weber-sitting a OTS - Black - DE
food&fish

Post by food&fish »

still up side down
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

gordona000 wrote:Yeah Food&Fish..
Seemingly when they uploaded from the iPhone, they got rotated.. ?
Is there a method to rotate to the correct orientation?

- good luck Mixin!

What image host are you using ?
Viva La Charcoal Revolution
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Hogsy wrote:
What image host are you using ?
It's probably in China :)
gordona000

Post by gordona000 »

I think I've fixed it...
I'm just using Tapatalk, and adding photos via it's text area..
Imageshack I believe..

All good now..

Cooking on:
OTS - Brown - H, OTS - Blue - DR, Compact - Black - AD, WGA - Black - AH, Weber-sitting a OTS - Black - DE
Mixin

Post by Mixin »

So I got my Smash Pizza ring for $20 at Bunnings the other day (they had one hiding in bulk on a pallet).

I modded the ring as per Gordon's example a page or 2 back (read on for the reason for the larger bolts).
Cut only through the front layer, leaving the reinforcing strap as it it is, then drill a new hole approx 10mm further around (or whatever you need to make it fit):
As I couldn't find my rivet gun at the time, I used a small nut & bolt.

I'd already read a number of posts on here about adding stones into the lid of the Weber, and other means of trying to cook the top a lot better. I came up with my own solution, which seemed to work pretty well.

The first was to mount a standard Weber cooking grate at approximately the level of the lip opening, and sit the stone on it. To guide the heat to the rear, I'll eventually use a scrap piece of stainless sheet, but for now foil will do.

Seeing as the ring was stainless (quality unknown) I decided to avoid rust issues, and use S/S fasteners. I ended up using some I had in my scrap bins, they are about 40mm long, and need a 1/4" hole for clearance. A nut is tightened up on each one inside the ring, so the thread sticks out to hold the grate (as per most UDS builds).

As the mouth opening is so wide, I used 4 bolts to spread the load to more substantial sections of the ring - after all, this grate will hold the pizza stone (and perhaps a 30mm thick 300x300 fire brick as an upgrade later).

I hate drilling holes in things, so I drilled out 2 of the front rivets around the mouth, and put the front bolts 2 front ones through original rivet holes, and 2 rear ones approx 150mm back from the handles.

The top of the grate is dead level with the opening of the mouth.

S/S bolts (nut on the inside) to hold the grates:

4 bolts for the bottom grate, to spread the load:

The Olive Green M/T is only being used to test fit the ring - It still has good rollers on the lid bale, and I don't want to melt them!

Thinking about all the ways to get heat down into the area where the pizza is cooking, I wanted something easy, and fast.
So I mounted another grate as a "lid" inside the ring. Eventually I'll replace this with a sheet of stainless, or even just put a sheet over it.

The bolts for this upper grate are 51mm down from the top edge of the ring. This wasn't a guess -the original thermometer (probably better to call it a heat indicator) was mounted here, and it would foul any chance of getting the grate lower. So I used it's hole (and drilled 2 more around the ring) to hold the upper grate.

I drilled a new hole for the thermometer, and mounted it a little lower. No pics of these, but you can see the bolts in the pic after the next.

Got a nice hot fire going with some robot turds as the base, then some hardwood on top. The coal dividers were used to keep the starter fire contained to a smaller area. They were difficult to remove once it was going, so I won't do that again..... I spread the coals out after the flames died down:

I put the ring & bottom rack in, with the stone on it - foil to guide the airflow up the rear & over the pizza.

Then I put the upper rack in, covered in foil, and the lid on (vent closed) so all the hot air from the fire is forced to travel over the pizza, about 130-140mm above it.

This is the "indicative" temp from the "smash" gauge, which I mounted slightly lower than normal (to clear the top rack).
It's probe is pretty close to the edge of the opening (you can see it in the next pic down) so it will never read high temps.

We're not real big on bread (especially commercial bread) in our place, and we normally do our own pizzas in the oven on a piece of rye flat breat, or a roti.
I bought a pack of rotis to use for this trial. In the oven, on a pan, they normally get a nice, thin crispy base on them, and I figured the stone should replicate this.
Having had a chorizo, ham, caramelised onion & feta pizza recently at a local W/F place, I was keen to replicate it.
I'm not that big on Feta, so I only put one chunk on the first one, and a bit of grated mozzarella.

I watched the first one closely - no way was I going to let it burn! If anything, it was a bit underdone (and a bit soggy in the middle of the base).
Subsequent pizzas went through a bit quicker, and cooked more evenly (spinning them 180 degrees at the 2 minute mark). The base was crispy all the way across.

I'm extremely pleased with the smash pizza ring, and the mods to make it fit, as well as work a bit better. I'd highly recommend anyone thinking about it to give it a go - it's only $20, plus some time, and a few stainless bolts.

Cooking the first trial:

First trial removed after 4 minutes (turned it around at 2 mins):

Weber Kettle Fanatic....
Problem? What problem?
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

That is excellent work and a great review, thanks for posting.
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Great work Mixin. Excellent end result!
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Top work!

And a great guide! Thanks

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Mixin

Post by Mixin »

Thanks guys.

Over the years I've picked up a lot of tips here & there, so it's the circle of life.

A couple of 600x600 sheets of scrap stainless to cut down will be the next step, to replace the foil (and maybe the top grate).
I'll chase up my signwriter rello who dabbles in a bit of stainless every now & then, or maybe just stay on the lookout for a tumble dryer on a council cleanup pile.

I'm already thinking about a couple more changes.....

I'd like to lower the top grate a bit more - I can do a trial on this easily by drilling the rear hole lower, and tilting it, to see if it will make an improvement - it may overcook the rear of the pizza though.

I'm a little cautious of cracking the pizza stone I have, so I have also been thinking of something that can hold a bit more heat, and that I can put in while the fire is still cranking to shorten the heat-up time, like this:
http://www.fieldfurnace.com.au/fire-bri ... -p-25.html

We only make small pizzas anyway, so 300 x 300 is plenty big enough.

And I'm undecided whether i should put something on the top grate (like some thin fire bricks or a pizza stone) to capture & hold heat (with foil or stainless above to reflect as much radiant heat as possible back down).

I guess I'll keep playing with it for now, and see how it goes.
Weber Kettle Fanatic....
Problem? What problem?
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

That Fire Tile looks the go! and its cheap! Plenty big enough for backyard pizzas!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
niko123456

Post by niko123456 »

Mixin wrote:Thanks guys.

Over the years I've picked up a lot of tips here & there, so it's the circle of life.

A couple of 600x600 sheets of scrap stainless to cut down will be the next step, to replace the foil (and maybe the top grate).
I'll chase up my signwriter rello who dabbles in a bit of stainless every now & then, or maybe just stay on the lookout for a tumble dryer on a council cleanup pile.

I'm already thinking about a couple more changes.....

I'd like to lower the top grate a bit more - I can do a trial on this easily by drilling the rear hole lower, and tilting it, to see if it will make an improvement - it may overcook the rear of the pizza though.

I'm a little cautious of cracking the pizza stone I have, so I have also been thinking of something that can hold a bit more heat, and that I can put in while the fire is still cranking to shorten the heat-up time, like this:
http://www.fieldfurnace.com.au/fire-bri ... -p-25.html

We only make small pizzas anyway, so 300 x 300 is plenty big enough.

And I'm undecided whether i should put something on the top grate (like some thin fire bricks or a pizza stone) to capture & hold heat (with foil or stainless above to reflect as much radiant heat as possible back down).

I guess I'll keep playing with it for now, and see how it goes.
figure out some way of rotating the stone so you can get a nice even cook, eh!
Romulus

Post by Romulus »

If anyone in the Sydney region is interested in picking one of these up to modify, but finding them thin on the ground:

I picked up 2 of them today, at the Belrose store ( Sydney Northern Peninsula ).

When I rang Monday afternoon, they were still marked on display for $35.00, but when I told them they were being marked down to $17.50 in other stores they were quite happy to honour it, and put them aside for me to pick up.

They had 5 left on display at lunch time, after I left.

Image Image
woodpelletgrill

Post by woodpelletgrill »

ebay price seems US$200