Weber Q200 restoration question

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
DJD

Weber Q200 restoration question

Post by DJD »

G'day all!

Couple of quick questions if anyone can flex their expertise muscle and help me out. I recently picked up a Q200 (with a rolling cart) from Gumtree for $50. It was in, um........ shall we say "sub-optimal" condition. Not only do I think had it never been cleaned, it seems the previous owner may have even thrown extra grease on there just for the hell of it. Thankfully, this has preserved the grill plate in near-perfect condition. Anyway, went through the usual motions this morning: pulled it to pieces and got all the gunk off, gave the burner a good going over, etc. As you could imagine if you've seen a few of these in well-used condition, the paint on the lid is doing the usual thing and flaking off everywhere. I've decided I'll strip it all off an repaint it. So, my queries are these:

1. What's the best way to get ALL off the old paint off without harming/scratching the metal underneath.
2. What's the best paint to use. I've seen a few good red ones online but not sure what they used. I don't have a compressor/spray gun so I'll need to use something in a can.

Tried and tested recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers,
DJD
Hogsy

Re: Weber Q200 restoration question

Post by Hogsy »

Congrats on a great score!! $50 is a bargain especially with a cart
I've used these on kettles before and it works well. The red is a great match for a red kettle
They work well but I've only used them on kettles that I cook at low heat temps
Not sure how they would hold up for high heat cooking on a Q and care still has to be taken not to scratch the paint
They cost $20 a can from most auto stores
For the money and time I'd probably just purchase a new lid through Weber, I think there around $50
Hope that helps
Viva La Charcoal Revolution
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

Hmm,

My Q220 is new, years away from this need but whilst VHT would be fine there is as Hogsy says the potential for scratches.

Other than buying a new lid, which is not a bad idea really the only other alternative to painting it yourself would be to take it to a paint and panel shop to be sprayed and baked.

It would certainly give a better hardier finish than DIY but probably cost more than a new one :)

However panel shops do get asked to put a lot of unusual things through the paint shop, I doubt BBQ lids would be unheard of :)

Cheers
DJD

Post by DJD »

Thanks. I see on the front of the paint can it can handle up to 482 degrees. Even on full a q200 shouldn't even approach this kind of temp. Even my BUGG going he'll for leather still comes in a good 120 - 130 degrees below that. I'll give it a go. What about removing the paint anyone?
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

I'd agree, VHT will handle the heat no trouble, I've used it to paint exhausts with no problem at all.

Paint stripper is nasty stuff so make sure you get some decent gloves, to determine the best one to use I'd go to Bunnings, their trade counter guys are pretty good, many of them ex-tradies themselves. Being they sell Weber you can show them a 200 so they know what you are wanting to strip.

I'd probably suggest Dupli-color since it's designed to remove auto paint but dunno if Bunnings have it, SuperCheap do, but they probably have something just as good. Ask them but as a general rule a heat gun helps the stuff along as well.

Cheers
food&fish

Post by food&fish »

I would give it a light hit with a sandblaster just to roughen up the surface then the heat proof paint[ yea I know everybody has a sandblaster haven't they :lol: :P