Ziegler & Brown Triple Grill

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
GrillerWarfare

Post by GrillerWarfare »

I've been sitting on my behind putting up with my old BBQ and am still contemplating a new one. I saw the Ziegler & Brown Triple Grill on TV and have been researching it on the BBQs Galore website. The video on the website makes the Ziggy look like a perfect solution for roasting and grilling which would be the primary things I'd cook.

However, a guy at work has a Weber and he says cleaning it is a pain. The firebox being the hardest part to keep clean. He said the Ziggy would be similar.

Are these Ziggies really difficult to clean in terms of the firebox? Can the burners be removed and put in the dishwasher? I've read a few of the posts here but no one has mentioned clean-up. Can a simply use a nylon-bristled brush and some cleaning solution?

Any final thoughts on the triple grill? The BBQs Galore website doesn't have a link to the user guide PDFs.
the dane

Re: Ziegler & Brown Triple Grill

Post by the dane »

weber clean up is a few seconds with the wire T brush! & every few months remove the grills, get a cake icing spatula & scrape all the greese and gunk into the drip tray hole, then throw the foil drip tray away! all done in 2mins!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

I own a Baby Q and a Q220 and can clean them in 1 minute after use and it takes about 5 minutes to clean them after about 15 cooks and 15 minutes every 6 months.
I have no doubt that the Z&B would be similar.
They say that I am Weber biased but both the Weber Q and the Z&B will do the job, trust me you won't look back.

Cheers

Captain
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

If the guy at work is cleaning his every time he uses it and says it's a pain, he doesn't know what he's doing. Point him here and well sort him out. The advice from the others is spot on. I've had mine for months and apart from a brush after it gets hot when newly lit, I haven't cleaned it yet. Maybe a wipe of the lid with a paper towel but that's it so far. Easy as.
GrillerWarfare

Post by GrillerWarfare »

Thanks fellas. When I looked at the Ziggie video, the inside aluminium surface didn't look too difficult to clean. I'm not sure if he cleans the firebox every time but he does cook s few times a week on it so maybe he cleans the inside once a month or so.

Anyway, I'm gonna head to BBQs Galore and check it out. It looks like the Ziggie will do what I want.
doobie

Post by doobie »

I have a Ziggy and find if you give it a clean/wipe over after a couple of cooks (even after each cook if you want) that it is easy to keep clean.
If you leave it for some time the inside hood will go brownish looking and then it is harder to get clean (but you will get it clean).
If your purchased the Ziggy you will be glad of the results.
The Flaming Grill

Post by The Flaming Grill »

The Ziggy's are simple to clean. Although I do feel the thin Weber grill bars are easier..
The fire box is cast allow - like the hood, so get a non-caustic oven cleaner and foam the Zig up from time to time.
Then hose with pressure, wipe out and done!
The burners can be removed, but there's really no need.
GrillerWarfare

Post by GrillerWarfare »

After some time, I finally shelled out for the Ziegler & Brown Triple Grill. I picked the unit up yesterday as part of a manager's special.

For $999, I got the Triple Grill, cart, cover, middle solid plate, pizza stone (not Z&B branded), warming rack and roasting pan (on backorder as they weren't in stock), a Z&B oven mitt.

I'll start with the cart which I think is nowhere near the value the $199 would suggest. The cart is difficult to put together and is a little wobbly. The instructions ask for M6 nuts and bolts (bolts are available in both 20mm and 50mm). If you look at the blister pack, there are no M6 bolts and certainly no M6 nuts. The nuts are actually just labelled "N" and the 50mm bolts as "M". The 20mm bolts are labelled "L". I spent about 5 minutes looking for the damn nuts and bolts before trying the ones in the blister pack.

Once the legs are assembled, there's the lower shelf to install. As the legs splay out at an angle, screwing the shelf so it sits flush with the legs doesn't happen. There's an angle between the side of the shelf and the legs. The right-hand side legs appear to be the worst.

Where the gas bottle hangs, it doesn't hang straight. The base of my gas bottle hits the lower shelf and prevents it from hanging plumb.

In terms of cooking, I only gave the pizza stone a go last night. The Barbecues Galore video for this talks about the flame thrower ignition which supposedly lights first time, every time. No, it doesn't. The manual even has a section on what to do if it doesn't light.

In the end, the results were mixed. It was just a piece of Lebanese bread with tomato paste and herbs. I was trying to get it to crisp up with the two outside burners on and the hood down. During the cook, the burners went out (probably due to wind). I relit the burners and continued.

This morning I tried some bacon and eggs. I used canola oil on the centre solid plate. The food came out OK but noticed the front of the plate had a cold spot. Not what I expected. The egg stuck a little but mainly on the area where I didn't cover with canola oil. I will need to try a variety of meats and techniques.

I'll try and link to some pictures from my OneDrive but it doesn't seem to work.
GrillerWarfare

Post by GrillerWarfare »

Some pics...
Nath

Post by Nath »

I'm sure there's plenty of blokes on here that can give you tips. Should have bought a Q ;)

Nath
Nath
The Flaming Grill

Post by The Flaming Grill »

It's interesting that you mention the flame-out.
One of Galores big pitches is the cross fires between burners.
What they forget is that when the two outside burners are on, and the centre burner is off, the cross fires become useless.
Interesting..... 8)