BUGG low temp?

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
speedy

BUGG low temp?

Post by speedy »

Hi,
I was wondering if I can get some feedback concerning the low temp, lid down, usefulness of the BUGG?
I have read some posts on this and another forum and get contrarian views. Some seem to say you simply cannot get good results with the lid down as everything just burns, because it gets too hot, even on the lowest achievable temperature.
Whereas other say they have cooked with the lid down with great results.
On the other hand I know some webber Q owners say they cook the best steaks ever on thier Q's. Lid down being the only way to cook on a webber I believe.
I have also heard from the same owners they don't really get hot enough to use the accessory hotplate well.
I would like to be able to cook with the lid up or down.
I like medium rare steaks and fancy the webber Q for juicy tender steaks, from what I have heard from webber Q owners.
But can I achieve the same on a BUGG?
Another thing is gas consumption. Webber Q's use a lot less gas than a conventional 4 burner bbq, is the BUGG the same or not?
All assistance gratefully received.
Cheers,
Speedy
Smokey

Re: BUGG low temp?

Post by Smokey »

I would hazzard a guess that the ones that say "lid down on a bug and everything burns" are using sugar marinades or just not doing it right.
Hotter is better. Lid down but you check often.

The Q will have less gass comsumption because it has less BTU's. . Not always a good thing.
However both are more efficient than a standard 4 burner.

"Medium Rare" Lots of people take this to mean just some pink color in the centre when this is actually medium well.
There is nothing wrong with prefering your steak like this however.

If you could show a pic or a link to what you consider your perfect doneness we can recomend a little easyer the bug or the q.

Also Im assuming you are looking at the mid size Bugg = Weber Q220. Things change if your considering the other weber Q models
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
speedy

Post by speedy »

Hi Mick,
You said,""Medium Rare" Lots of people take this to mean just some pink color in the centre when this is actually medium well.
There is nothing wrong with prefering your steak like this however." That may be the case but that is not me, I want a bit of blood in the middle, not pink, that would be overdone, and a little charred on the outside, not burnt charred.

Also Im assuming you are looking at the mid size Bugg = Weber Q220. Things change if your considering the other weber Q models[/quote]
Yes that is right.

I am also considering a Ziegler & Brown as well now.

Cheers,
Speedy
Last edited by speedy on Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Lid down cooking reduces the cooking time considerably. On the Bugg you do not need the burners on full bore. Preheat and set for a lid temp of about 270 - 300 Cwith an empty grill. Mark or remember that setting as that is as hot as you need it.
19 mm Steaks will need about 3 minutes a side for a medium finish at 270 C. Play with it a bit till you get is right. Most other things you cook with the lid down need 220 - 240 C to get great results. If you have a grill full of food you will need to increase the heat as the meat will be absorbing it quicker than the BBQ can replace it.

Practice makes perfect

Captain
speedy

Post by speedy »

Captain Cook wrote:Lid down cooking reduces the cooking time considerably. On the Bugg you do not need the burners on full bore. Preheat and set for a lid temp of about 270 - 300 Cwith an empty grill. Mark or remember that setting as that is as hot as you need it.
19 mm Steaks will need about 3 minutes a side for a medium finish at 270 C. Play with it a bit till you get is right. Most other things you cook with the lid down need 220 - 240 C to get great results. If you have a grill full of food you will need to increase the heat as the meat will be absorbing it quicker than the BBQ can replace it.

Practice makes perfect

Captain
Thanks for that Cap'n.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Going off your grilling needs, I would lean towards the bug or ziggy, Both get hot enough for seared steak.
All of them roast well, Particulary the Q .
And for others reading, all do a steak to medium well (Most prefered steak doneness) .
Also, For those with Q220's Dry salt brining for half an hour greatly increases the crust quality in a shorter time so may help to get sear when the engine is a little under powerd. Everyone should do it anyway,,,, Its awsome :lol:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
LA1

Post by LA1 »

A good mate of mine has one(the BUGG) and i use it a fair bit. You can grill lid up or down on high heat no problem. I think he's only refilled his bottle once since he bought it last Summer(gets used all week).
One of the better grills I've used.

For low n slow on any of these portables, put a small tray of water in there and set one bnr to low. Then go buy a charcoal smoker. :wink:
Last edited by LA1 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
AzzzzzA

Post by AzzzzzA »

Smokey Mick wrote:Going off your grilling needs, I would lean towards the bug or ziggy, Both get hot enough for seared steak.
All of them roast well, Particulary the Q .
And for others reading, all do a steak to medium well (Most prefered steak doneness) .
Also, For those with Q220's Dry salt brining for half an hour greatly increases the crust quality in a shorter time so may help to get sear when the engine is a little under powerd. Everyone should do it anyway,,,, Its awsome :lol:
Hey Mick,

What makes you say the 220 is underpowered? The pic below is of mine on a 22'C day with no wind. Seems hot enough to me. Admittedly it was new then and top temp seems to have dropped to about 290'C now but I put that down to a build up of black carbon type crap on the back of the thermo. Should probably clean it eh? Anyways 290'C is pretty hot if you ask me.

Az

Performer - 2008
WSM - 2009
OTS - 2011
WGA - 2011
Q220 - 2013
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Its a very old nut (dont mention the war)
That is baking temp up at the top of the lid.
Its been proven and Weber has bought back Q220's because they dont sear and do rare at the same time.
Dont get me wrong however, Most people like medium well and that gives enough time to sear so they are perfectly acceptable for most people.
The smaller size of the Baby Q and the extra burner of the Q300 seem to make the difference.
speedy

Post by speedy »

Thanks Guys :)
AzzzzzA

Post by AzzzzzA »

Smokey Mick wrote:Its a very old nut (dont mention the war)
Its been proven and Weber has bought back Q220's because they dont sear and do rare at the same time.
Dont get me wrong however, Most people like medium well and that gives enough time to sear so they are perfectly acceptable for most people.
The smaller size of the Baby Q and the extra burner of the Q300 seem to make the difference.

Don't know whether something has changed or not but I can tell ya the 100's go to about 260-270'C and the 320's don't get much hotter than 280'C so the 220 is in the same ball park isn't it?
Performer - 2008
WSM - 2009
OTS - 2011
WGA - 2011
Q220 - 2013
TCAHM

BUGG low temp?

Post by TCAHM »

If you are after high heat to quickly sear I can vouch for the Ziggy. Ours sits on 170C with one burner on low and the lid closed. With 2 burners on halfway and the lid down it gets to 250C within about 3-5mins. I'm a little reluctant to get it hotter than that because the manual says not to, but with the lid up and the burner on high I would guess it would be closer to 300C.
Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer »

AzzzzzA wrote:
Smokey Mick wrote:Its a very old nut (dont mention the war)

Don't know whether something has changed or not but I can tell ya the 100's go to about 260-270'C and the 320's don't get much hotter than 280'C so the 220 is in the same ball park isn't it?
I'd check that.
The baby's put out 8500 BTU
200-220 put out 1200 BTU and remember, the Q220 has a larger volume to heat.
The Q320 almost doubles @21,700 BTU

Although results and happiness with product are completely subjective, Mick is right about the smaller Q series and heat.
Most are happy with their results, but they are not hot enough to char sear and cook a supermarket cut steak to rare or med rare, nor to do premium cooked seafood.
Good at roasting tho.

The Bugg however, has almost the same BTU output as the Q320!

http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=11991
2015 Smokin In The City-Boarshank Redemption
Buccaneer, BeachBums, Alimac23, SilentBob!
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

TCAHM wrote:If you are after high heat to quickly sear I can vouch for the Ziggy. Ours sits on 170C with one burner on low and the lid closed. With 2 burners on halfway and the lid down it gets to 250C within about 3-5mins. I'm a little reluctant to get it hotter than that because the manual says not to, but with the lid up and the burner on high I would guess it would be closer to 300C.

The Zeigler and Brown has 9.05MJ per burner (18.1 MJ total) and an oval grill: 570mm x 420mm and it gets plenty hot!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!