Ziegler and Brown Twin Grill

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
TCAHM

Ziegler and Brown Twin Grill

Post by TCAHM »

We have a newly acquired Ziggy and am looking for any advice about cooking on it. I understand that most of what applies to the Weber Qs will apply to the Ziggy but in particular, if anyone has advice about cooking pizzas on it (or any other non-traditional BBQ foods) that would be great.
It's first use was to cook pizzas last Friday and they turned out great. I am used to cooking them on a tray in the oven so the stone was new to us. We used a temp of about 220C but the bases cooked way too fast (not badly but blackened on the bottom).
The only thing I can think of is to try to raise the stone up off the grill plates but not sure how?

Sunday I cooked a lamb leg roast. It was 2.5kgs which I studded with garlic and rosemary, rubbed with salt and olive oil and roasted in a tray on the opposite side to the lit grill (indirect). With the one burner on the lowest setting, I could not get the hood temp to go below 170C without lifting the lid. I cooked it for 4 hrs and it turned out amazing (best roast I've ever cooked) but was wondering if there is a way to get a consistently lower temperature while maintaining a closed lid/oven cook? Hmmm, wondering how it would go if after about 3 hrs it was transferred to a slow cooker and left in there until serving time (I cooked the roast in the morning and let it sit until reheating it just before dinner)?
(Sorry, I didn't take pics of the roast)

The thing I am most impressed with is the heat that this little grill can pump out. It is not hard to crank it up to 250+ and it heats up instantly.

The manual for this says not to let it get to over 250C - what damage will this do to it?

Ok, enough questions for now.

TCAHM
Smokey

Re: Ziegler and Brown Twin Grill

Post by Smokey »

You need to baffle the heat with a folded over square of foil and a means to raise the pizze stone.
I have a cake rack with legs. Some use empty soup cans. Think about the foil and trivet method only raising the trivet
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

3 empty babyfood or tomato paste cans.

Job done....it'll get the topings up into the heat as well, so they'll cook faster!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Hot Dang that is a good looking pie!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

doobie

Post by doobie »

TCAHM wrote: With the one burner on the lowest setting, I could not get the hood temp to go below 170C without lifting the lid. I cooked it for 4 hrs and it turned out amazing (best roast I've ever cooked) but was wondering if there is a way to get a consistently lower temperature while maintaining a closed lid/oven cook? Hmmm, wondering how it would go if after about 3 hrs it was transferred to a slow cooker and left in there until serving time (I cooked the roast in the morning and let it sit until reheating it just before dinner)?
(Sorry, I didn't take pics of the roast)

The thing I am most impressed with is the heat that this little grill can pump out. It is not hard to crank it up to 250+ and it heats up instantly.

The manual for this says not to let it get to over 250C - what damage will this do to it?

Ok, enough questions for now.

TCAHM
Hi TCHAM,
I can get the temp to sit constantly to 130C (using a container of water) see page 4 on this post for testing temps I did http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... f=3&t=7627

The temp over 250C I suppose 'could' damage parts 'maybe' . I have had my over 250C but only for short periods as not knowing what could happen (maybe damage handle). But I have not had the cause to cook over 250C anyway.

Agree with putting pizza stone on tins which should sit on foil other wise direct heat could crack stone (and never put cold stone on hot plate or it will crack) . Always put stone in when you first start Z&B.

Geoff