Weber Q220 advice

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
Jack McKraken

Weber Q220 advice

Post by Jack McKraken »

Hi all,

I've recently picked up a Q220 (used once for the bargain(?!) price of $290) thanks to the wonderful advice on this forum and haven't looked back.

Almost every night my wife and I have asked the question "what can we cook in there next?" - and to date we've had the best success with steak and pork belly (no crackling tho).

Anyway, on to my requests:

1) Firstly, we need to buy some accessories - and have our eyes on the Pizza Stone and Tray (http://www.weberbbq.com.au/AccessoryDetails.php?id=46), Q Grill Pan (http://www.weberbbq.com.au/AccessoryDetails.php?id=78), 3 sided grill brush (long or short handled?!), some form of thermometre (suggestions welcome!) and a teflon cooking plate.

Is there anything else we should look at buying? And is it worth paying more for the Weber brand (we don't mind, great products) or are there cheaper alternatives that are still good quality?

2) Secondly, always on the look out for Weber Q recipes - we've spent some time going through the recipes forum, but that's a bit hit and miss. Are there any other good sites out there specifically catering to Weber Q?

Thank you in advance,

Jack McKraken
ruud

Re: Weber Q220 advice

Post by ruud »

Hi,

I also own the Q220. To me the trivet is probably the most important assessory if you don't already have one. And the Weber one is the go and will last a very very long time.

Got a pizza stone and tray which is non Weber branded, teflon sheet, and Weber wireless thermometer.

For pork belly crackling, I poke many many holes on the skin, pour boiling water on the skin, pat try, rub with Vinegar, leave in the fridge overnight.
Start cooking on the Q220 at low temp for 30mins, and then to highest for the next hour till crackling. (use the thermometer, but pork can go slightly over time cooking to get the crackling.
ruud

Post by ruud »

Forgot, also add loads of salt before putting the pork in the fridge overnight.
mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

Jack McKraken wrote:Hi all,

3 sided grill brush (long or short handled?!), some form of thermometre (suggestions welcome!) and a teflon cooking plate.

Is there anything else we should look at buying? And is it worth paying more for the Weber brand (we don't mind, great products) or are there cheaper alternatives that are still good quality?

Jack McKraken
Hello Jack,

I own a 320Q.

I bought the long handled 3 way brush as I thought the idea was to get my hands and arms as far away from the heat as possible, than with the short handled version. The sales guy even agreed with me. However, I have found that the wire of the handle flexes and as a result I hold the end of the handle in one hand then apply pressure to the wire "stem" with the other hand in order to put pressure on the grill. Heat is not a problem. If I had of known this, then the short handled brush would have been more than adequate.

I purchased a "thick" teflon sheet from an ebay retailer, which he recommended for the grill, as opposed to the thinner teflon sheet for a solid hotplate. I have found this works well for bbqing a range of different meats and also on my pizza stone, underneath the pizza base. This is what I use now for pizzas, as opposed to the Weber pizza tray which came with my Weber pizza stone. I even bought an additional tray. But now they are not used.

I bought a breakfast plate and also the half hot plate, which is available for the 320Q. I use either of these plates for bbqing potato slices and onions. Some people at this forum use a teflon sheet for these two items, but my family and I have found them to be too dry.

I bought an $11 digital timer from my lcoal Woolworths store. I use this all the time when bbqing.

I bought the Weber remote thermometer. Works well. I tried a Gasmate unit prior, but it did not last long. However, currently Weber Australia do not have a thermometer in their range.

I place one wooden bread board on each plastic side tray of the Weber, in order to protect the plastic from scratches and any heat from containers when I am transferring cooked meat to the container.

I have found all of the above items useful and practical however, one of the most useful items I have is the metal container, with lid and wire tray which I transfer the cooked meat and pizzas on to, in order to take them in to the house or to the table for serving. I place the container on the bread board, next to the lid of the bbq and the heat which is coming out of the side of the bbq warms slightly, the metal container. I then have a pre-warmed container to put the meat or pizza in. (hope this makes sense) http://www.bigw.com.au/home-garden/bbqs ... -keep-unit

Regards,
Geoff
angelus512

Post by angelus512 »

Hi Guys. I didn't want to start another thread so I'm just adding onto this one. I own 220 as well and I'm very curious about its gas knob. I've read tons of posts about people talking about having the knob turned halfway down for their roasts or various other longer cooking items.

Its been my experience that leaving the knob turned halfway down will raise the temp guage up to 250+ extremely easily and quite quickly. (ie leaving the hood down for say 15 minutes and its easily 250c or above).
Is this normal?

The only time I'd ever want to do that would be to crackle up the skin on pork and then i'd dump it back to the lowest setting for the remainder of the roast. So my query is how are people setting their 220's at half mast without nuking whatever is inside because anything about 200-200c is nuke territory and a half-mast setting on that gas knob definitely doesn't hit that spot.
Nath

Weber Q220 advice

Post by Nath »

I have a 320 so cannot really help you. Though I think your on a good wicket, just turn it down lower?
My experience with the 220's (weber demonstrator) has found I can't even reach 250-300 with the burner on full half the time, especially with the pizza stone in, the 220 seems to struggle a bit.
Seems like you have got yourself a supercharged one.

You are reading the Celcius numbers in red aren't you?
The black numbers are Farenheit.

Nath
Nath
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

Yeah,

I'm new also to the 220 after years with a one touch kettle.

Still playing with the heat settings myself, the Q Cookbook seems to err onto what I see as too hot for both BBQ and roasting, pastry as in pizzas is about right. It's just a case of getting used to the temperatures produced at the settings but there is also some variance depending upon how high into the hood you position the food. The method recommended by UG on here is putting pizzas on three washed empty cans but as I mentioned here in another post we don't really use canned food much apart from cat food which just seemed wrong so I used a couple of pavers for my pizza cooks with good results.

The trivet is indeed essential and the Weber is the one to go for, the foil and trivet method for many things works well.

It being Christmas I've been well supplied by gift accessories from the family, some are getting use, some not yet. The long handled brush does flex a bit, mine is not a genuine one, but tbh not too fussed I don't over-clean my bbqs, never have, they just get rust that way. A quick brush before each cook and sterilising pre-heat has always served well. A non-genuine teflon mat has had a bit of use, works fine. Some means of checking gas level in the bottle is useful, I was given a sort of fridge magnet that reacts to the temperature at the gas level when the gas is turned on - to my surprise it works fine. A non-genuine pizza stone is fine, there are plenty available.

I will be getting the breakfast tray and the vegetable basket if I don't come across an alternative or can adapt something, the latter has been my usual way with the kettle, especially not using foil drip trays if I can avoid it, stainless kitchen ones are just as good and reusable.

Quite a few of the things I've worked out to use or bought for other forms of cooking and re-purposed on the kettle are just as useful on the Q. A poultry stand that has prongs that go horizontally into the bird and lift it up into the hood for example. With a drip tray below it's a poor man's alternative to a rotisserie, just doesn't turn :) (More seriously I will be looking out for a rotisserie this year, one that I can use on both Webers, that might take a bit of thinking, the Q doesn't seem to lend itself to rotary cooking.)

I found a small smoking box at Master's dirt cheap with some trial sawdust, works very well, once I could pry it open :)

A non-genuine cover, my Q sits on a re-purposed roll-around tool box which is a great stand with storage for tools etc, the tool box is ancient and obsolete for my use so that was "free," the cover fits over the whole lot, another find at Masters.

I have a couple of different timers to remind me when to check what's cooking but actually these days I just use that function on my cell phone :) Thermometers, as harped on in the forum often and correctly are essential, the pen-type ones being ideal, pay your money, take your choice. There are several to choose from. Thermapen is probably the best - I've already mentioned on here that I have one, somewhere, just moved house. This cheapy, http://www.hlpcontrols.com.au/persisten ... ewprod.pdf mentioned on the forum I will probably pick up if the Thermapen doesn't turn up soon. Meantime I'm just using a meat thermometer picked up in some supermarket that I've had for years. It's not accurate but years of using it mean I know what it's trying to tell me :)

I'd assume you have the standard tools, tongs, one of those Wilshire multi-tools etc, all useful and equally so in the kitchen.

That's an interesting point actually, a lot of kitchen stuff is equally useful on any bbq, especially older trays, pans etc so long as rust-free and not non-stick :)

I do like the idea mentioned above of some wooden cutting boards on the plastic side trays, will be picking up a couple.

I need some new fish baskets, something else lost in the move, pretty easy to find these days, my old ones I made myself from galvanised steel wire and pre-burned but they would be a bit big for the Q I think anyway.

I'd assume you have the basic protection stuff, mitts and apron, (must admit I rarely use the latter, old jeans and T-shirt are what I usually bbq in :) )

Accessories and tools are fun, but it's always a good idea to do a bit of lateral thinking first and see if you don't already have something that can be re-purposed or if something not designed specifically for the bbq is not going to do the same job and usually be cheaper.

Oh, I always have a couple of cheap spray bottles around, one filled with oil, one with water, very useful on both types of bbq.

Have fun, that's really what it's all about :)

Cheers
angelus512

Post by angelus512 »

On a windy day in full sunlight my Q220 produces about 150c on lowest temp. If I had it half mast it would blaze to 250+ easy. Yes seems I have a supercharged one.
Nath

Weber Q220 advice

Post by Nath »

Damn Chrisg, nice write up:)
Just about covered everything:)
I don't see any purpose for a rotisserie over gas. The idea of convection cooking on the Q's is basically rotisserie cooking style.

Nath
Nath
mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

chrisg wrote:Yeah,

I'd assume you have the basic protection stuff, mitts and apron, (must admit I rarely use the latter, old jeans and T-shirt are what I usually bbq in :) )

Cheers
I have found with the Weber Family Q that an apron is not necessary. Unlike with the old 4-burners that I have owend in the past.

In general, the only time I use mitts is when I am sliding out the teflon sheet from under the pizza base, three minutes in to the cooking on the stone. Although occasionally when raising the lid of the Weber to allow some of the heat to escape before turning meat, etc, I might put one mitt on.

Regards,
Geoff
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

Busio90 wrote:Damn Chrisg, nice write up:)
I don't see any purpose for a rotisserie over gas. The idea of convection cooking on the Q's is basically rotisserie cooking style.

Nath
:)

Funny you should say that Nath, a friend who is from Cyprus and does rotisserie lamb to die for on a real simple rig he brought from the island was just by and said similar. He also mentioned if I want a rotisserie get one like his, probably cheaper than an add-on so he's gone off to see what he can get one sent to me for :)

I must admit I don't use mitts much either, taking food off is about all if it is in or on something hot, but some people do get burned just looking at a bbq, one of my brothers is like that :)

I missed one thing I think Nath from looking at my kit, the small esky I keep just for resting meat. I used to use the main beer one but then we couldn't have beer out the back. Saw this little picnic one and it's pretty much ideal.

There's always some other toy though, that's boys :)

Cheers
Gumb

Weber Q220 advice

Post by Gumb »

My 220 would go well above 200c at if it's left at half on the dial so I don't think you have anything supercharged. To roast at 200 mine has to be turned well down too. It does struggle if there's a pizza tray involved and needs to run full blast if I use that.

As to accessories, I agree about the trivet, it's essential. Get some foil trays with it, they are cheap and easier than making your own.

I also have the large cast plate with the lifting handles and that's great for Sunday bacon and eggs.

The best thermometer for monitoring while cooking is the maverick et 732. It has the 2 probes so you can monitor both food and oven temp, although I usually rely on the built in thermometer for that. I also have the maverick version of the thermopen, the PT 100. It's a very handy addition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nath

Weber Q220 advice

Post by Nath »

chrisg wrote:
Busio90 wrote:Damn Chrisg, nice write up:)

Nath

Funny you should say that Nath, a friend who is from Cyprus and does rotisserie lamb to die for on a real simple rig he brought from the island was just by and said similar. He also mentioned if I want a rotisserie get one like his, probably cheaper than an add-on so he's gone off to see what he can get one sent to me for :)

I must admit I don't use mitts much either, taking food off is about all if it is in or on something hot, but some people do get burned just looking at a bbq, one of my brothers is like that :)

I missed one thing I think Nath from looking at my kit, the small esky I keep just for resting meat. I used to use the main beer one but then we couldn't have beer out the back. Saw this little picnic one and it's pretty much ideal.

There's always some other toy though, that's boys :)

Cheers
Awsome Chris:)
If it's any cheaper to bring two across let me know ;)

Nath
Nath
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

Shall do, given politics in Cyprus might take a few days, but also might be freight plus 10c :)

Cheers
Nath

Weber Q220 advice

Post by Nath »

chrisg wrote::)

Shall do, given politics in Cyprus might take a few days, but also might be freight plus 10c :)

Cheers
Haha yep.

Nath
Nath