Busted up Imperial #2 Kamado - Rebuild Advice.

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
Jars

Post by Jars »

Today the BBQ gods were looking over me. A quick trip to Bunnings and a 'short-cut' down a side street led me to find this little guy, in a pile of hard rubbish, next to a broken down dishwasher and some grotty old mattresses. Looks like he's already been pretty neglected, and I couldn't let him end up in some landfill, so I chucked him on the car, and off I went with my new score. I had a quick peek inside when I grabbed it, to make sure there was buts and pieces inside.

Here he is.

http://s6.beta.photobucket.com/user/dem ... sort=3&o=0

So once i got him home, it was time for a better look. Opened it up as far as the rusty hinges would allow, and heres what i found;

So far so good i though, so i continued on. Took out the grill and the top ring. All intact! Woohoo! The rest, not so much.

So as you can see, the lower firebox parts have been smashed up, but all bits and pieces seem to be there.

So I need advice from anyone thats willing to help.

First of all, is it worth the effort? I'm willing to put the time in, but pretty short on cash at the moment.

Whats the best thing to do? Source a new fire box or can i 'glue' this one back together some how?

How can i paint this thing? 95% of the paint on the outside has come off, so I'd like to paint it.

Metal/hinges? Are replacements available, or should i restore these some how?

I think thats pretty much all the questions i have for now. Thanks in advance for all those willing to help out and offer up their opinions.

Cheers,
Jars
Yoder YS480 || Weber OTS Premium || Weber Go Anywhere || Weber Jumbo Joe || Keg Spit || 'Golden Moth' UDS
beachbums

Re: Busted up Imperial #2 Kamado - Rebuild Advice.

Post by beachbums »

Not sure about the rest but if you can get the hinges off, soak them in diesel for a couple of days. Open and close them a few times now and then. Each time you do it should get better.
Hope that makes sense?

Cheers, Wayne
titch

Post by titch »

beachbums wrote:Not sure about the rest but if you can get the hinges off, soak them in diesel for a couple of days. Open and close them a few times now and then. Each time you do it should get better.
Hope that makes sense?

Cheers, Wayne

Food &fish has made his own firebox from clay.do a search or PM him.
I will take it of your hands if you wish :P
Cheers.
Titch
Cheers
Titch
BBQ&BEERS

Post by BBQ&BEERS »

beachbums wrote:Not sure about the rest but if you can get the hinges off, soak them in diesel for a couple of days. Open and close them a few times now and then. Each time you do it should get better.
Hope that makes sense?

Cheers, Wayne
Hit them with some silicon spray then you could also soak them in vinegar, it will remove the rust.
Jars

Post by Jars »

Bands/hinges will come off by cutting the bolts with an angle grinder. Will try the silicone spray/vinegar trick and see how that goes. If it needs it, may see how much it costs to sand/bead blast, then give them a lick of paint.

Have read some resto threads on BBQ brethren that have some good details on gluing the smashed firebox together, so I'll give that a shot I reckon.
Yoder YS480 || Weber OTS Premium || Weber Go Anywhere || Weber Jumbo Joe || Keg Spit || 'Golden Moth' UDS
titch

Post by titch »

Jars wrote:Bands/hinges will come off by cutting the bolts with an angle grinder. Will try the silicone spray/vinegar trick and see how that goes. If it needs it, may see how much it costs to sand/bead blast, then give them a lick of paint.

Have read some resto threads on BBQ brethren that have some good details on gluing the smashed firebox together, so I'll give that a shot I reckon.

molasses and water will get rid of the rust,1part molasses3 parts water.
Soak totally covered for a few weeks.
Cheers.
Titch
Cheers
Titch
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Get some refectory cement (look up Furnace Builders in the phone book) the bits will glue back together.

Measure the grill, you can get a new one. Also measure the fire grate, you'll be able to get a metal replacement.

Painting (with High Temp Paint) is no problem.

The bottom vent on the #2 was always a slide out hollow drawer to control the airflow. Have a look at this pic:

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Jars

Post by Jars »

Thanks for all the tips guys, getting excited for this little project!

Once the uds is done, this will be up next!
gasp

Post by gasp »

A bit off topic but that pic of yours (Urbangriller) is the first time I have seen a Kamado used with Kebab skewers. That needs some planning next time I do some Souvlakia.
Anybody heard of attaching some sort of automatic turning apparatus to a Kamado?
Jars

Post by Jars »

urbangriller wrote: The bottom vent on the #2 was always a slide out hollow drawer to control the airflow. Have a look at this pic:

Cheers
Chris
Still has the draw/plug in there, a bit chipped on the front, but shouldnt be of concern. Doesnt fit very tightly though, would this be a problem?
dales133

Post by dales133 »

Some people have all the luck!
Nice score jars
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Jars wrote: Still has the draw/plug in there, a bit chipped on the front, but shouldnt be of concern. Doesnt fit very tightly though, would this be a problem?
As I understand, It's not meant to close tightly, it's a kind of wiggle adjustment/zen thing. To shut down completely, some people wrap a wet rag around it to improve the seal.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Snow

Post by Snow »

Nice find! What a great project!
sosman

Post by sosman »

Nice one alright. I would definitely try the glue - you have nothing to lose.
Jars

Post by Jars »

sosman wrote:Nice one alright. I would definitely try the glue - you have nothing to lose.
My thoughts exactly!