Questions for the Vision Kamado clan

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
bobntpa

Questions for the Vision Kamado clan

Post by bobntpa » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:24 pm

Hey guys,

I have been doing a lot of reading on here and the web regarding the kamado cookers. Price is important, but not the deciding factor, I like to get what I pay for. Quality is obviously very high on the list followed by customer service. I have looked at the Kamado Joe, The Vision and going by to have a look at The Rock by Beefeater. I searched for the Royal, but had no luck finding anything on purchasing new ones. I see a few comments about Bear Grills in Qld but not a lot from anyone that owns one. After reading many threads and comments by you guys that have purchased the Vison all seem happy with it. I am thinking about getting one, but wanted to ask;

How long have you had your cooker?
Do you have any regrets and wish you choose another cooker?
Where have you gotten accessories?

Thanks,
Bob
mmmm pork

urbangriller

Re: Questions for the Vision Kamado clan

Post by urbangriller » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:53 pm

Hi Bob,

Sosman has a Dragon Fire (same thing) and he gives his a kicking!....Hell pop his head in no doubt, but he seems well happy with it. There was someone else who had the Bear Grills version, can't remember who, but they were happy as well.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!

Deano

Post by Deano » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:06 pm

Haven't heard anyone say a bad word about their kamado choice really. I guess everyone did their research and is pretty loyal to their grill - it's a bit like asking "that footy team you support, are they any good?" :lol: I've only read good things about all the grills you've mentioned Bob - good luck with what ever team you pick :wink:
20" RadarHill Reverse Flow Offset, a few Webers, Wood Fire Pizza Oven, Camp Oven.

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:19 pm

I think buying komados is like buying pet birds. Buy the one that you like to look at.
Saying that, I bought an old second hand (15 Years?) Big Green Egg that only ever did high heat pizza and its as good as new after a rebuild.
Not one crack so quality should be considered.
Having used one now for a short time, If the BGE broke, Id replace it with a high end unit without hesitation.
If I was in the market now, Id put $1200 out there and ask for the retailers to do there best :wink:
Yes that is a lot of money but so is an indoor kitchen (20K) Think about that over a beer :shock:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au

sosman

Post by sosman » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:38 pm

My dragon fire is still going strong. Just for a change I cooked 5 pizzas on it tonight.

Gumb

Post by Gumb » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:45 pm

I think Deano has it right. I doubt that there's any real difference between the Royal (which I have), the Bear Grills, the Vision and Kamado Joe. Except, they come with different accessories and at the price, I think the Joe is over the top considering you have to pay more in the first place, then buy the extras. It's no better than any of the others and hundreds of dollars more. The stand on the Joe doesn't look as good as the ss stand on others either.

These are essentials to have with whichever you buy.....grill extender & heat deflector.

Options.....The chip feeder on the Royal is a good idea but the Bear Grills has a safety stop for the lid and that would be nice, particularly when I foolishly tried to move mine with the lid up and it went BANG ! Luckily, no damage was done.

Pinnacle don't import Royals anymore, and Bear Grills has only just come on to the scene but my experience with his customer contact and service was very good. Feedback from Pinnacle when they were around was that they didn't understand the words.

Happy decision making !
Last edited by Gumb on Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gumb

Post by Gumb » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:51 pm

sosman wrote:My dragon fire is still going strong. Just for a change I cooked 5 pizzas on it tonight.
Gee, that's a change..... :D :D My wife went to a Pizza class today at one of Melbourne's top pizzerias called 400 Gradi, in Brunswick. $80 for a few hours and she came back loaded with info and full of pizza ! I tried a small one tonight using their dough (after I had done my steak) and it was great. Best we've done so far, with the Kamado at 300c. They recommend higher and only cooking for a few minutes but I was only using left over coals so 300 was tops this time around.

bobntpa

Post by bobntpa » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:31 pm

Thanks guys, pretty much reaffirmed what I was thinking. Just nice to hear it from others.
Cheers,
Bob
mmmm pork

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:59 am

they also make good herb pots

kevin
....up in smoke.....that's where my money goes.....

sosman

Post by sosman » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:55 pm

Gumb wrote:
sosman wrote:My dragon fire is still going strong. Just for a change I cooked 5 pizzas on it tonight.
Gee, that's a change..... :D :D My wife went to a Pizza class today at one of Melbourne's top pizzerias called 400 Gradi, in Brunswick. $80 for a few hours and she came back loaded with info and full of pizza ! I tried a small one tonight using their dough (after I had done my steak) and it was great. Best we've done so far, with the Kamado at 300c. They recommend higher and only cooking for a few minutes but I was only using left over coals so 300 was tops this time around.
Hey that's cool - when you gonna invite me round to share the secrets and a few pizzas. I can bring some toppings.

Gumb

Post by Gumb » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:09 pm

sosman wrote:

Hey that's cool - when you gonna invite me round to share the secrets and a few pizzas. I can bring some toppings.
Might have to try out the new method first, don't want a fail in front of Mr Pizza. :wink:

sosman

Post by sosman » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:16 pm

Gumb wrote:
sosman wrote:

Might have to try out the new method first, don't want a fail in front of Mr Pizza. :wink:
C'mon don't be so precious, I only show photos of the ones that work out ;)

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:29 pm

sosman wrote: I only show photos of the ones that work out ;)

My God! :shock:

How many Pizzas do you really cook?

:!: :!: :!: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!

sosman

Post by sosman » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:35 pm

urbangriller wrote:
sosman wrote: I only show photos of the ones that work out ;)

My God! :shock:

How many Pizzas do you really cook?

:!: :!: :!: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Chris
I've lost count. Also after a few beers I lose interest in photography.

Tan18_01

Post by Tan18_01 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:18 pm

bobntpa wrote: How long have you had your cooker?
Do you have any regrets and wish you choose another cooker?
Where have you gotten accessories?

About 3 months.
No regrets about purchase. I wish I had the budget to choose another cooker, but I didn't. I would probably have gone with the Primo Oval XL if I had the $$.
Only Extra accessories I've purchased have been a kamado joe heat deflector and an ash tool (purchased both from a BBQ Galore. I think it was $50 for the heat deflector and $10 for the ash tool). On a related note the Vision comes with a 2nd level grill grate and a nylon cover.
Using the KJ heat deflector slightly raises where the grate will sit on and makes the 2nd level somewhat close to the lid.