The "Royal Kamado" Clan - 38.5 and Counting

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
Chalky

Re: The "Royal Kamado" Clan - 21 and Counting

Post by Chalky »

Welcome Bukkie
the 14th Jan .. in 1934 on that day they 1st spotted the Monster in Loch Ness Scotland where they made the strongest whisky on earth :lol: , it is described as a sea serpent over 50 ft long and the Scottish forbid the capture or shooting of the creature.
It was also the birthday of Albert Schweitzer in 1875 .. did a project in primary school on him back in 1966, he was a very good person :wink:

Chalky
ImageImage
the best part of a chook is the last bit over the fence
bukkie

Post by bukkie »

and in 1539 Spain annexed Cuba - I have no affiliation with this event though
mulga

Post by mulga »

Thanks for all the tips guys, will try all suggested :)

Got some Kamado manuals which has also be enlightening. Mine came with no manual...

Hey and welcome Bukkie 8)

Tonight shes in the process of distributing potent aromas of the deepest nose inhales where you just gotta have full lung breaths ins of "mmmmm... You Smell That" :mrgreen:
That, being one kilo of eye fillet smothered in Dijon Mustard accompanied by charcoal roasted pumpkin & potatoes :mrgreen:

Blimey it smells... GOOOOOOOOOOOD :D
vik351

Post by vik351 »

OMG... :shock: :shock: :shock:

What say the clan...??? Was mouthin off to this cook that does sunday lunch at the Litho Club here on a sunday on how good the Kamado cooks... 8) 8) 8)

She rang me last night sayin she has a birthday do on tomorra and wants me to cook it in the big red blob,said ok then she says BTW there three roasts...

A porshetta,lamb and pork... WTF...??? I said how heavy,she dont know,great... So WTF do I do...

My plan was to weigh each one,biggest one in first,work out the time an hour per kilo indirect method

Found this... Roast Meal Cooking Times for medium.

Beef: 60 minutes per kg. Oven temperature 180 C.
Lamb: 60 minutes per kg. Oven temperature 180 C.
Hogget: 70 minutes per kg. Oven temperature 180 C.
Pork: 90 minutes per kg. Oven temperature 180 C.
Veal: 90 minutes per kg. Oven temperature 180 C.

Which sounds about right for time...

Never done three and was wonderin do I load her up with charcoal to buggery,get her real hot then shut down to 180...???

And she wants it at 12 noon...

Or is this the way to go

"THE MINION METHOD" place charcoal in a pile in your kamado (unlit) and only light 3-4 lumps and place them on top, keep the vents open only a smidge so as to not let too much charcoal ignite, this method takes a little while to get up to temp but once there is quite stable...

vik... Help fellas...
Image[/img]
vik351

Post by vik351 »

I am only gettin the roasts 8am tomorra...

So what are ya sayin Beaver...??? cant be done... :shock: :shock: :shock:

vik... great... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Image[/img]
magste

Post by magste »

I'd say it can be done as long as the roasts dont weigh more than 3 kg each. You'll have to roast them at 160-180 C not slow cook. Start the kamado up at 7 am and let it run for an hour at your target temp before putting the meat in. This should avoid a temp dip. This way the meat should be ready by 11 and have ample rest time. Throw some smoke wood in at the same time as the meat to get flavour and tenderness.

I'm doing a similar cook tomorrow but only a 3.5 kg rump. Fortunately I've time for a six - seven hour cook :)

Good luck & let us know how you went.
Magnus
---------------------------------------

A Q, a Keg & a Kettle
vik351

Post by vik351 »

Thanks blokes... But fugg me deceased... the bitch said three and brought four...!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Had to get old faithful goin... hasnt bin lit in a long time... :roll: :roll: :roll: wonder why...!!!

Well three in the Kamado "Royal" around 8 am,had to get the weber goin cos the pork no fit...FMD,forgot just how long heatbeads need to light up

Sure cant beat charcoal...1/2 the time and with Diggers,nice flavour as well...!!!

Pay load

No room FFS...!!!

Old faithful...

Cant beat havin a spare bbq or six...!!!

vik...
Image[/img]
Livewire

Post by Livewire »

Vik

Are you finally breathing again :?: :P

Hope it all went well and everyone appreciated your efforts

Any pics of the finished product (know you have some)

Glenn
Kamado slow it goes as those lovely red embers glow
Royal Kamado, Weber Kettle K: 1988, Weber OTG DD:2000, Coolabah Mini Spit and 4 B Gasser
vik351

Post by vik351 »

Glenn mate... I still have NFI how it turned out,havent heard... They say no news is good news...

This is the first time I have used a digital probe,had the beef up top,hour and a bit,probe said 80 deg... :shock: :shock: :shock: so that means over cooked me thinks... :evil:

The two lambs were in the 60's and the pork outa the weber... so they should be ok...

Wrapped in foil each one,then a towel and into the esky as kindly suggested on here,ta for that...!!!

Dropped off the goods,and took off,she was gunna serve it a bit later,will find out this arvo the story... :? :? :?

And in my haste to do the job I was to blind to see,I forgot to take some happy snaps to share with you and me...!!!

vik... fingers crossed...
Image[/img]
vik351

Post by vik351 »

Image[/img]
vik351

Post by vik351 »

Well the good news is , Every thing worked out ok... :D :D :D

She said one of the lambs was a bit over done... but got away with it...

vik... even got $50.00 for me troubles... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Image[/img]
Livewire

Post by Livewire »

Great result Vik, looks like you are now in the catering business where you like it or not :shock:

Glenn
Kamado slow it goes as those lovely red embers glow
Royal Kamado, Weber Kettle K: 1988, Weber OTG DD:2000, Coolabah Mini Spit and 4 B Gasser
vik351

Post by vik351 »

Livewire wrote:Great result Vik, looks like you are now in the catering business where you like it or not :shock:

Glenn
Na... not me Jack,I didnt even want the money,just helpin her out,but she insisted... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It was for a 90th birthday... and I was sihttin meself in case I stuffed it up... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Dont need that kinda stress at my age,if I do it for free and stuff it up I can say sorry mate,do it for money,stuff it up and your an arsehole and party pooper...!!!

vik... will leave to the pros...!!! :wink:
Image[/img]
bukkie

Post by bukkie »

Livewire wrote:Welcome to Bukkie our 21st member of the Royal Kamado Clan

I understand the "birth" will be tomorrow the 14th Jan

Glenn
Hi all, I hereby would like to confirm that after 4 months of labour I finally gave birth to my baby on 14/01/12. I did have some explaining to do, as I was expecting a red baby (was confirmed to be red, no other colour options possible) and guess what? My baby is BLACK :oops:
But I am very happy. Food is beautiful. Thanks all for your help
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

vik351 wrote:
Livewire wrote:Great result Vik, looks like you are now in the catering business where you like it or not :shock:

Glenn
Na... not me Jack,I didnt even want the money,just helpin her out,but she insisted... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It was for a 90th birthday... and I was sihttin meself in case I stuffed it up... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Dont need that kinda stress at my age,if I do it for free and stuff it up I can say sorry mate,do it for money,stuff it up and your an arsehole and party pooper...!!!

vik... will leave to the pros...!!! :wink:

Vik..you shoulda done more Pulled pork...they don't need teeth for that :mrgreen:

cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5