Kettle Pizza Oven

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
kingsthorpedavid

Kettle Pizza Oven

Post by kingsthorpedavid »

This Kettle Pizza Oven has nice wooden handles and it arrived yesterday.

Very well made and thought out.

Turn Your Weber Kettle Grill into a Kettle Pizza Oven!

Mod edit [Moved from Pizza and Baking Recipes]
Last edited by kingsthorpedavid on Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
urbangriller

Re: Kettle Pizza Oven

Post by urbangriller »

David...Haven't you run out of money yet?

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
kingsthorpedavid

urbangriller wrote:David...Haven't you run out of money yet?

Chris
Ha! It is called "spending my kid's inheritance".
Will be retired next April so need lots of gadgets.
Robbo5252

Post by Robbo5252 »

I want one. Do you think using 1/3 of a 44galon drum with a hole cut out and ebay thermometer would work as the tight ass version?
Cheers
Robbo
Chalky

Post by Chalky »

Yes...but there are a few different 44gallon drums
ImageImage
the best part of a chook is the last bit over the fence
Robbo5252

Post by Robbo5252 »

What do you mean chalky? The ones I can get are used for hydraulic fluid.
kingsthorpedavid

Three pictures have been added to the original post after Photobucket decided to let me Login!

David
Chalky

Post by Chalky »

Robbo5252 wrote:What do you mean chalky? The ones I can get are used for hydraulic fluid.
There are various diameters & heights in drums & none exactingly suit the weber, I'm still looking around, but malt extract ones seem a better fit than oil ones

Chalky
ImageImage
the best part of a chook is the last bit over the fence
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Get your drum from a U-Brew joint...take your Kettle Lid to check the size!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Robbo5252

Post by Robbo5252 »

Thanks for that. Going to head to the local engineering place and see if he has some stainless sheeting offside that will work.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

could you give me a rough cost deliverd KTD?
Was it from OS or local?
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

David, were the toppings on the pizza you've got in there cooked well without burning the crust on the stone?

I see that the stone needs to be placed directly on the grate so it'll be getting the full indirect heat from the fire (depending how the charcoal is laid.

The spacer must have it's own grill grate lugs to keep the grate up higher level with the sides of the top of kettle bowl from what i could see in your picture.

I do like the concept, but I'm still somewhat convinced you need to get that pizza higher up in the lid so that the heat in the lid can do it's magic.

With that gadget in between the lid and kettle bowl, i just see that the heat escapes out the gap and that the lid is too high to do it's magic on the toppings.

I usually just place my square veggie tray upside down on the grill grate and place the stone on top so that the stone is up into the higher lid area.

granted, you can't see how it's going with my system but I usually allow 15 minutes and haven't burnt one yet.

Could you please show a picture of the toppings after it's cooked using that new pizza spacer as well as the bottom of the crust.

Nice performer you have there...like the colour.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
sosman

Post by sosman »

You could just get a kamado.
kingsthorpedavid

Smokey Mick wrote:could you give me a rough cost deliverd KTD?
Was it from OS or local?
You can only buy them off amazon.com from the manufacturer in the US.
It is not a Weber product.
Go to amazon and search "Kettle Pizza Oven".
$99 plus postage $80 is what I paid.
kingsthorpedavid

Davo wrote:David, were the toppings on the pizza you've got in there cooked well without burning the crust on the stone?
REPLY = THE IMAGES ARE FROM THE MANUFACTURER'S WEBSITE I HAVE NOT USED IT YET

I see that the stone needs to be placed directly on the grate so it'll be getting the full indirect heat from the fire (depending how the charcoal is laid.
THE HEAT BEADS/CHARCOAL/AND IRONBARK ON TOP ARE LAID IN A SEMI-CIRCLE AT THE BACK OPPOSITE THE FRONT OPENING

The spacer must have it's own grill grate lugs to keep the grate up higher level with the sides of the top of kettle bowl from what i could see in your picture.
IT DOES AND LUGS AT THE TOP SO A GRATE CAN BE ADDED INSIDE THE LID FOR DOUBLE DECKER COOKING, THE MANUFACTURER DESCRIBES THE SPACER AS A SKELETON, THE GRATE IS INSERTED FROM THE TOP OF THE SPACER

I do like the concept, but I'm still somewhat convinced you need to get that pizza higher up in the lid so that the heat in the lid can do it's magic.
THE MANUFACTURER CLAIMS THAT BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT LIFTING THE LID ALL THE TIME, THE HEAT IS RETAINED AT AROUND 400C ALLOWING CONTINUOUS PIZZA COOKIG - GREAT FOR A FAMILY GATHERING. HARDLY WORTH THE BOTHER TO COOk JUST ONE PIZZA!!

With that gadget in between the lid and kettle bowl, i just see that the heat escapes out the gap and that the lid is too high to do it's magic on the toppings.
MANUFACTURER CLAIMS OTHERWISE

I usually just place my square veggie tray upside down on the grill grate and place the stone on top so that the stone is up into the higher lid area.
THAT IS THE SQ WEBER SS TRAY? GOOD IDEA WILL TRY THAT

granted, you can't see how it's going with my system but I usually allow 15 minutes and haven't burnt one yet.

Could you please show a picture of the toppings after it's cooked using that new pizza spacer as well as the bottom of the crust.
MORE LATER TOMORROW WHEN THE RAIN STOPS!

Nice performer you have there...like the colour.
IT IS OWNED BY THE PIZZA OVEN MANUFACTURER PIC IS FROM THEIR WEBSITE

Cheers

Davo
Last edited by kingsthorpedavid on Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.