lump charcoal quality

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
urbangriller

Re: lump charcoal quality

Post by urbangriller »

Good Morning Card Shark and welcome to the forum.

In Queensland you can get Gidgee Charcoal in two grades: BBQ and one for Tandoor (I'd use a mixture).

Check out: http://sunbrix.com/products/online-catalogue.html Dean (who is a member of this forum) has a delivery service for charcoal in your area.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

I picked up two 20 kg bags of Gidgee from Brisbane Blacksmith Supplies when I was up on the Gold Coast visiting the missus Dad,it's a bit slow to get going but worth the wait, burns great in the BSK and seems to outlast the BGE product I've been using, just knock of the ash and fire it up again, I reckon some goes around three times with a little top up. No overpowering taste.

I guess this is the same stuff we can now get delivered via Charka???
Bodgy

ImageImageImage
Card Shark

Post by Card Shark »

Hello Chris and Bodgy,

Thank you very much for the welcome. Appeciate the lead on local charcoal. I haven't been able to buy the BGE product locally since BBQ galore departed but I see their NZ dealers offer it pretty cheaply, especially with current AUD. The issue is shipping although in 2012 believe BGE will announce more resellers here.

Of the few charcoals I have tried since returning, the BGE for me has still been the easiest to light and not too much ash. Perhaps I am too farmiliar with this product too so am interested in trying and supporting more things locally. Recently bought a load of lump + sawdust briquettes from emberpak which im working through. Quite happy with this lump. Their briquettes work well on longer slow cooking exercises but as expected are a buggar to light. As a result I use a blend, especially for pulled pork.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Hmmm,

Sawdust Briquettes?

I've not tried the Emberpak, can't get it in WA.......geeez, you'd think we were the most isolated joint on the planet!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Card Shark

Post by Card Shark »

Actually they no longer have an agent here either so I organized a few mates and together we bought 1/2 a pallet of 20kg bags which worked out pretty economical. It's $160 to ship a pallet by rail X-Sydney but you need a forklift at the receiving end otherwise its an extra $50 for the unload. This is their site.

http://www.emberpak.com/sawdust.html
peter yeoman

Post by peter yeoman »

peter yeoman wrote:A tip for buying charcoal. I have seen people simply pick up a bag of charcoal off me and throw it in the back of a ute like it's a bag of rags........ sends me crazy . Be gentle with your charcoal.