Remove ash/charcoal after each cook...?

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
BadVF

Remove ash/charcoal after each cook...?

Post by BadVF »

Hi all...
Great forum. First post...

The Akorn manual recommends that ashes and unused charcoal are removed after each cook to prevent corrosion...

They also go on to say that charcoal is great at absorbing moisture - hence the need to remove it to prevent corrosion.

Is this necessary or just overkill...?

Have any charcoal bbq oowners had any problems with corrosion from ashes or charcoal not being removed? (Not those who leave theirs in the weather and exposed to rain etc)

Furthermore, I would expect that the Akorn’s durable vitreous enamel coating of the hot parts should prevent any corrosion?

Thanks in advance.
the dane

Re: Remove ash/charcoal after each cook...?

Post by the dane »

I empty when its full, sometimes little bits of charcoal fall in, and can light up. Thats the only issue

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

12x7

Post by 12x7 »

I clean out the ash tray after a few cooks. I don’t remove the unused charcoal for most cooks. I top it up to replace what ai used in the last cook. When I do a low and slow cook I clean out the old charcoal and use new so there is a constant burn rate/ heat output.
BadVF

Post by BadVF »

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like overkill to empty ash pan after every cook....
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Yeah I only empty mine when i see it's getting a bit full, maybe every 3rd or 4th cook up. The pots are much better than the cheaper tray system especially when it's a bit windy. But on saying that, I do think the pot does restrict a bit of airflow from undeneath compared to the tray system.
If you're going to do a decent long low n slow smoke cook, then I would advise to empty the ash pot before hand to reduce any airflow issues.

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
paulr
Forum Administrator

Post by paulr »

Same as Davo I empty mine after 3 or 4 cooks... I just make sure the ashes never gets too high...

Happy BBQ-ing, Paul
http://aussiebbq.info/wp - my blog
https://lifesafeast.com.au/cookingclass ... criptions/ - great cooking classes
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.