Weber Jumbo Joe Kettle

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
Davo
Forum Administrator

Weber Jumbo Joe Kettle

Post by Davo »

Hi folks,

Recently I sold my family Q320 gas BBQ and totally cleaned my Weber Performer Kettle for sale (Jury is still out on that one) so for just myself and the Mrs and the fact the conditions for BBQ haven't been very favourable for a while, I decided to do some nice basic grilling on the little Weber Jumbo Joe.
I've had this little grill for about 15 or so Months now and it's getting a decent workout....sometimes it's just not worth using the big kettle for 2 people and it's good to learn how to cook in batches and how to time each batch so everything is still hot and tasty.

These are a very portable version of the basic OTS kettle with a grill grate of 18.5 inches
20171126_131449.jpg
20171126_131449.jpg (185.68 KiB) Viewed 10179 times
20171126_131433.jpg
20171126_131433.jpg (131 KiB) Viewed 10179 times
20171126_151508.jpg
20171126_151508.jpg (168.79 KiB) Viewed 10179 times
The grill to the lid is rather shallow so no big chooks here but you could roast a butterflied (spatch cocked) chcken or a small lamb roast, perhaps boned and butterflied as well.
The food grate is very light and basic chromed affair, not like it's bigger brothers and the bars seemed to be a bit far apart and if you're not careful, slim cut veggies could slip through onto the coals.

The handle acts as either the lid holder when you fold the lid back or to hold the lid onto the bbq as it clips into the handle groove.

Great solid Weber quality though is apparent and will not dent easily, designed for a small table or down at the beach or to use in a camper .

A lot more cooking space than a Go Anywhere or the smaller Smokey Joe and just as portable and only $169 new....great value!!
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
hjl

Re: Weber Jumbo Joe Kettle

Post by hjl »

Hi Davo
Yes I think a Jumbo Joe would be a really good portable bbq. I don't have one but have 2x the 18 inch weber kettles. Just for me and my wife I am finding the 18s work really well.
Cheers
hjl
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Yes and you don't need as much fuel in them to do the job, but i find compared to the 57cm kettle that I'm doing a lot more batch coooking due to the less room on the food grate...it's marvellous what the extra 10CM (4 Inches) makes and the space between the charcoal grate and food grate is almost half.

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
musty

Post by musty »

When drinking with a few of the boys my Smokey Joe is the preferred bbq to cook on for reasons you put forward.
Wacking lamb chops and spiced wings on in small batches for hot and fresh eating straight off the grill, with time in between to enjoy the beers and banter, I find this is the best way to prolong a good bbq, get through plenty of meat (and booze) and get a decent BBQ HIT to satisfy ones needs.

Musty
Old Dave

Post by Old Dave »

I did an extensive review on this fine little grill that might interest some of you folks that own one. You can find it here:

http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/201 ... s.html?m=0

If you enjoy this information, let me know.
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs BBQ Team
http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Hi Old Dave,

A Huge thankyou for putting this up in the forum, you really have given me some more inspiration for using my JJ, I just wish I could get some of these accessories that you have like the Cajun Bandit rottiserie ring and hinged grate, Weber Australia doesn't supply the Hinged grate for these little Kettles.
I can however get the craycourt 18.5 cast iron grill grate but they are near $200 here. I had one for my Weber Performer 22.5 inch but ended up selling it on ebay. They are good but quite heavy to manouvre and with the 4 Qtr Pieces I found that it was harder to work with. I like the idea of 3 x 3rd sectors pieces much better.

Also like to thankyou and give my appreciation of you coming back here to this Forum, it's been in the doldrums for a few years as many of the original members have disappeared to other more modern forums but I still enjoy this older more simplistic forum for easier relaxed viewing. I hope to be able to expand a newer membership base soon and would love to delve in more on using these smaller grills for more cooking on the go. Everyone also has gone over to facebook...it's ok but could they find an excellent post such as yours ever 2 weeks down the track...I hardly think so.
I hope and wish you keep coming over here Dave and share your Knowledge and maybe even help me kick this forum back into gear.

I also want to get myself a new WSM but uncertain to which size I'll get. I want the 22.5 WSM as I can use the Kettle Accessories on it but not sure if I can justify the size and they cost $1K over here in the expensive land down under. But $1K is still much cheaper than a Pellet grill.

Regards

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Old Dave

Post by Old Dave »

Hello Davo,

It is a real shame that you can't get the accessories for the Weber products like we can get in the US. Lots of cool stuff for all their products. I think the hinged grates are a must for the kettles.

The Craycourt are very pricy over here as well.

Like yourself, I like the older simple forums but many are slipping away at the present time. Years ago, before the forums, I participated in a few of the BBQ Lists. Enjoyed them as well as some of the forums.

You know, I do stop by over here every once in a while and usually don't post very often but I will see if I can do a better job with some information when I have it.

Wow! $1000 bucks for a big WSM, that would sure make a fellow think about purchasing one. I still have a couple of 18-1/2" WSM'S which I used in BBQ competition many years ago and mine have wooden handles so that might tell how old they are. I have a pair of Brinkmann's even older than the WSM's.

I do hope you can get some of the traffic back on this fine forum and will offer help when I can.

Regards,

Dave
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs BBQ Team
http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Yeah I remember before Forums Dave we had User groups then forums really started to take off.
Before this forum was made, the owner here found me (Sydney)and Captain Cook (Melbourne) on the Virtual Weber Bullet Bulletin Board where I'm still a member today but don't get on much now because I sold the WSM but may get another down the track. I'm debating whether I go back to the Bullet or a Pellet grill. I'm leaning towards a 22.5" WSM but yes, at $999.00 for one of those isn't cheap but I've look at their opposition the Pro-Q and feel they are no-where near the build quality compared to Weber.
I'm not sure what a 22.5 WSM would cost new in the US but here, they are rare second hand so usually New is the only way but I guess the cost is relative to average wage. Here in Australia it's around $70-90K Per annum. I'm a bus driver and can earn that easily but some of my weekends are taken up working.

Many people have ditched the traditional forums to the Facebook group forums and they are great for instant feedback but hopeless for any archived posts. Other forums look shiney and new but I find some very cluttered, over the past 6 Months I've trimmed this forum a lot as I found it was being cluttered with categories that were really not required anymore.

Yes getting people here again may not be easy but it doesn't need many to be a good forum, just those who are keen to talk about BBQ and wanting somewhere to chill out, we can all learn from each other I guess.
Love to see more of your content, by looking at your website, you've got a lot of experience with different size and types of cookers.

Thanks Old Dave for your contribution. :D

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
the dane

Post by the dane »

Been thinking of getting the jumbo joe for the front yard/porch. Had a few cartons of beer at the front over the last 10 weeks with mates, as in no Pubs (till tomorrow yes finaly) I find the kettle to big for finger foods, the GA to small.
paulr
Forum Administrator

Post by paulr »

Thanks Old Dave appreciate the post....
Im more active know but have yet to return to posting my own BBQ adventures... I love the weber products...
Survived the rona here in Queensland!

Happy BBQ-ing, Paul
http://aussiebbq.info/wp - my blog
https://lifesafeast.com.au/cookingclass ... criptions/ - great cooking classes
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.
hjl

Post by hjl »

Hi Davo
I have 2 x 18 inch kettles. Don't have a jumbo joe. One of my 18's has a hinged cooking grate. Would you be able to buy one from weber Australia and would that fit the jumbo joe.
Cheers
hjl