Weber Go Anywhere vs Cobb Cooker

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
hjl

Weber Go Anywhere vs Cobb Cooker

Post by hjl »

I have a Weber Go Anywhere and a Cobb cooker.
My thoughts are the WGA is better for grilling food and the cobb is better for roasting food.
What are other people's thoughts.
Cheers
hjl
titch

Re: Weber Go Anywhere vs Cobb Cooker

Post by titch »

I have had both and while the Cobb was frugal on fuel and cooked amazing food It has been moved on.
We use to take it Caravaning and loved it.
However, we take the Go Anywhere and cook the same things as the cob, just use a bit of ingenuity.
A bag of heat beads fits nicely in it packed, its fast to clean cool down. its great with a small cast iron plate to one side.
Not saying the cobb cant do the same, just what we prefer, The Go Anywhere is easier to use twigs in I believe.
Here,s a small roast Lamb

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=17724
Cheers
Titch
hjl

Post by hjl »

Hi titch thanks for the reply and photos.
Cheers
hjl
titch

Post by titch »

hjl wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 1:39 pm Hi titch thanks for the reply and photos.
Cheers
hjl
Your Welcome
Cheers
Titch
Old Dave

Post by Old Dave »

You have two fine portable grills and both are good for about any type of cooking with a few inexpensive modification and setups and with the Cobb, expensive accessories. I like cooking on both of them and get good results off of both grills.

If you want better grilling on the Cobb, I would suggest purchasing the Grill Grate setup for your grill.

As for roasting on the Weber, there are many tricks out there for this task with that fine little cooker.
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs BBQ Team
http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com
titch

Post by titch »

hjl wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:59 pm I have a Weber Go Anywhere and a Cobb cooker.
My thoughts are the WGA is better for grilling food and the cobb is better for roasting food.
What are other people's thoughts.
Cheers
hjl
If you need any Inspiration on Cobb cooking ,search OldDaves posts, he,s famous for Cobb cooking
Cheers
Titch
hjl

Post by hjl »

Hi
Anyone have tips to get crackling on a pork roast from the cobb or the go any where?
Cheers
hjl
Old Dave

Post by Old Dave »

hjl wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 12:03 pm Hi
Anyone have tips to get crackling on a pork roast from the cobb or the go any where?
Cheers
hjl
Although I have not done it on either grill, I would want to make the very hottest fire I could and cook it indirect until it is done. With either grill, a fellow would need a good LUMP charcoal and plenty of it.Be sure to pre-warm the grill first before you put the meat on.

I would get the meat out of the fridge or cooler about an hour before I want it on the grill. Wipe and pat it dry. Score it but not all the way to the meat. Wipe and pat it dry. Add your course salt. Wipe or pat it dry.

Oh, did I mention, "Wipe and or pat it dry"? Moisture and low temperature is your biggest enemy for a good result with this meat.
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs BBQ Team
hjl

Post by hjl »

Hi Old Dave
Do you mean to use lump charcoal instead of heat beads? I have never used lump charcoal. It seems hard to find.
Thanks for the info.
Cheers
hjl
Old Dave

Post by Old Dave »

hjl wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:00 pm Hi Old Dave
Do you mean to use lump charcoal instead of heat beads? I have never used lump charcoal. It seems hard to find.
Thanks for the info.
Cheers
hjl
I didn't know that lump charcoal was difficult to find in your area. Lump does burn hotter than the heat beads or charcoal briquettes but if that is all you have, use it and I am sure it will work.
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs BBQ Team