Is the WSM/Bullet Smoker fad over?

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
12x7

Is the WSM/Bullet Smoker fad over?

Post by 12x7 »

There was a time not too long ago on this forum and other there was lots of discussions about bullet style charcoal smokers.

Nowadays not so much. Have people moved on from their bullet smoker or new bbq'ers prefer other charcoal bb'q or other types such as electric or gas?

Weber Smokey Mountain - WSM

ProQ
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Is the WSM/Bullet Smoker fad over?

Post by Davo »

Good question 12 x 7, I had sold my 18.5 inch WSM last year on ebay because I was not getting the use from it and anything I could do is with my Kettle but I did buy a new little Jumbo Joe for it's replacement.

I just think there so many smokers available these days and that the WSM has always been an upmarket priced product therefore why the Pro-Q has been popular also due to price for a similar product. I honestly feel though whilst the proQ is a decent product, it just doesn't feel as solid or as tight as the WSM.

I also blame Weber Australia for not making the 22.5 available when the fever was starting to take hold and the Competition circuit in Australia was just getting a roll-on....but again, at just under the $1K is premium priced but wow what a unit....solid as a rock!!

But see there are so many now with lots of Offsets, woodpellet grills and kettles being used, if you walk around a comp weekend, there's still plenty of bullets out there.

I still think they are an awesome way to get great BBQ, I've never had a bad meal from my old WSM....I will buy another when the situation is right.

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Maybe they're still popular, but with BBQ owners who have owned a charcoal BBQ before but no longer bother to post on forums and Facebook.

Most people will be more than satisfied with a kettle and see no need to get a WSM.

Davo, I'm guessing you were around on the forum when WSM etc were first launched in Australia and there would have been lots of buzz with something new.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

12x7 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:07 pm Maybe they're still popular, but with BBQ owners who have owned a charcoal BBQ before but no longer bother to post on forums and Facebook.

Most people will be more than satisfied with a kettle and see no need to get a WSM.

Davo, I'm guessing you were around on the forum when WSM etc were first launched in Australia and there would have been lots of buzz with something new.
Actually 12 x 7, the 18.5 WSM has been around for much longer than this forum here in Australia, probably one of the very first smokers to be available here, in fact my WSM was a 2nd hand one I bought from Paulr (forum owner) before he moved from Sydney to Noosa....I had it for almost 10 yrs from then and only sold it last year...been a great smoker, not even 1 dent in it which tells me how good quality they are because I used it a lot only a few years back. I would love to buy a 22.5 but I've got to see if I can justify using more fuel.....I didn't ever use the bottom shelf meaning the 18.5 was the right size for me. I found that the 18 inch ProQ was just too tinnie by comparison.....no where near as solid so it's be a WSM all the way...but i'm also tossed between a WSM and another pellet pooper.

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

I found this about the history of the WSM.

Invented in 1981 from two 18.5" weber kettles by Erich Schlosser, Senior Project Engineer for Weber R&D and inventor of the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooke. Photo below on the right.

"There's an old Smokey Mountain tradition: when you build something, you build it to last. Now there's a smoke cooker worthy of that timeless tradition. You'll love what it does to fish, meat and game...season after season, year after year."

- Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker Owner's Manual, 1981

Excellent detail and history - http://virtualweberbullet.com/history.html