Summary of charcoal types, brands/recommendations, their characteristics and recommendations on where to purchase from ?

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
L2obin

Summary of charcoal types, brands/recommendations, their characteristics and recommendations on where to purchase from ?

Post by L2obin »

Is there a chart, or a comparative table f various charcoal types, their characteristics (eg max temp, ash generation, length of burn, flavour/smoke, origin, wood species), recommendations on use?

It would also be great to tabulate the brands and potentially even retailers/suppliers?

I am looking to try a few brands out and would like to know peoples experiences so far...
Drew71

Re: Summary of charcoal types, brands/recommendations, their characteristics and recommendations on where to purchase fr

Post by Drew71 »

Maybe we should start one!!!

I don't have anything scientific or recorded very well. I have however pretty much given up on the stuff from Bunnings unless I am in a pinch and have not stocked up. I found the Chargiller Premium in the box, and the Heat beads Hardwood lump to be about the same (though the Heat beads 20Kg seems to be in bigger awkward size lumps that need more breaking up) but burn wise, ash smoke they were much of a much. Though I did find a bit of wire or a nail in a bag once from Masters when they were going which made me pretty suss on what wood it was made from.

I tend to hit catering supply places/Lebanese grocers etc. There are a few places in Sydney that do Mallee root/branch 40 bucks for 20 Kg. that's my preferred. its can either be the hottest, or longest burning, smells great minimal ash and a I think a distinct flavour to the smoke. There is no brand on the bags.

There is also an African one that's good as well, its made of some kind of thorn tree from what I remember, I really like the way it burns though not as good as the above, its cheaper, and that first smell when you light it up is awesome.

I buy in bulk when I get it and keep it in the bag in air tight plastic bins till I use it.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/yagoona ... 1140052005
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Summary of charcoal types, brands/recommendations, their characteristics and recommendations on where to purchase fr

Post by Davo »

I think there could be a worthwhile list of brands/ types of charcoal/ coals /beads but as for burn time, that could be Charcoalmet with a list of variables such as ambient temp, densities and so on. The issue with lump is variable sizing of chunks, it's not uniform so you'll get different results all the time however with Heatbeads and/or robot turds, they are of uniform size and can be comparable.

The commonly known and available Lump from Australian Timber would be:

Mallee Root

Gidgee

Redgum

Ironbark

Robot Turds which I believe is compressed Charcoal

Redhead Charcoal

Firebrand Charcoal

Heatbead types....Charcoal

Heatbeads Coconut shell

Heatbeads River redgum

Kingsford Original and Professional

Heatbead type - Coal

Heatbeads in red and brown bag 4 & 10 kg respectively

Samba ?

Hotshots? Brown Coal

There could be more available....theres one called Tru-Flame, not sure if that's Australian wood charcoal or a timber sourced from overseas.

Theres a few different types other than I've already listed like Binchotan, very expensive compared to other charcoal types, burns hot and long, very well known in Japanese yakitori restaurants as they are white and leave little ash or aromas.

Read here: http://emberpak.com/charcoal/

Emberpak used to be a member here years ago.

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
L2obin

Post by L2obin »

Where can I get Malee root large lumps?
L2obin

Post by L2obin »

Let me see if I can some sort of an online collaborative list/database.. anyone have a suggestion on best tool?
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Types of Charcoal

Note: It is not recommended that you use briquettes like head beads in a ceramic Kamado as it can leave a chemical taste.

Using NSW as an example for types of charcoal available.

Emberpak - emberpak.com/
Good service and useful advice.
Their courier range is wide and ship as far as the Central Coast. They also ship interstate so it is worth a call if you don't live in Sydney.

Mangrove lump charcoal - From Thailand
20KG standard lump
20KG large lump
20KG large premium
Charcoal briquettes
10KG sawdust
10KG coconut
Compress sawdust log - from Malaysia
Charcoal chips - from Malaysia
White Charcoal/Binchotan - From Thailand

BBQ Aroma - bbqaroma.com.au or bbqaroma.com/homepage/charcoal-bbqs/charcoal-fuel/

They have good service and a variety of type of charcoal.
A bit hard to locate their range on their web site but they have:
Redgum from NSW
Gidgee from QLD
Mallee from Vic

Firebrand - firebrandcharcoal.com/

A decent range of briquettes and lump charcoal which you can buy on-line or from their store.

Bunnings

Lots of different types nowaday. Heat Beads briquettes and lump. Chargriller Lump and a few other brands
Not badly priced nowadays under $2/kg

BBQ Galore - barbequesgalore.com.au/

They sell Kamado Joe lump charcoal, other brand lump charcoal and heat beads. Compared to other suppliers they are expensive.

Where to Buy Charcoal

I found Tandoor Living has a good list of Suppliers
tandoorliving.com.au/Charcoal-for-sale-buy-Australia.html