Do you find it hard to maintain low temp in the weber kettle?

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
cs_rlewis

Do you find it hard to maintain low temp in the weber kettle?

Post by cs_rlewis »

Hey guys, I always find it hard to get my weber kettle to settle on 225-250F/110C. My temps are often too high about 290F even with the vents 1/4 open. Im using the slow n sear as well so a bit confusing.
Lovey
Forum Moderator

Re: Do you find it hard to maintain low temp in the weber kettle?

Post by Lovey »

I don't have one, but how are you using your S n S, are you using the minion method? I have used the snake method in the past with success and I was able to keep the temps to the 100-110°C.
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

If you're doing a low and slow make sure you don't light up too many briquettes in the beginning, fill it up with water, don't put too many wood chips and chunks in, thread your thermometer lead through the top and not the side of the lid as it will lift the lid and let too much air in.

I found these instructions work well.

https://abcbarbecue.com/lighting-instructions/

What brand/type of briquettes are you using.

Head Beads green bag burn cooler than red bag. I use the red bag briquettes in mine.

In the US many people use Kingsford briquettes with SnS.

How are you measuring the temps. the dome thermometer or a digital dual probe?
cs_rlewis

Post by cs_rlewis »

Lovey wrote:I don't have one, but how are you using your S n S, are you using the minion method? I have used the snake method in the past with success and I was able to keep the temps to the 100-110°C.
Yeah I'm using the minion method. I've used the snake in the past but I got the s n s as a present so using that now.
I think the minion method is recommended for the slow n sear

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

cs_rlewis

Post by cs_rlewis »

12x7 wrote:If you're doing a low and slow make sure you don't light up too many briquettes in the beginning, fill it up with water, don't put too many wood chips and chunks in, thread your thermometer lead through the top and not the side of the lid as it will lift the lid and let too much air in.

I found these instructions work well.

https://abcbarbecue.com/lighting-instructions/

What brand/type of briquettes are you using.

Head Beads green bag burn cooler than red bag. I use the red bag briquettes in mine.

In the US many people use Kingsford briquettes with SnS.

How are you measuring the temps. the dome thermometer or a digital dual probe?
Yep my thermometer is through the top vent, I don't use the dome one. I light 12 briquettes at the start, then add about 3/4 bag red heat beads to the slow n sear. Will check out the link thanks

Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

I've never used the S&S but I often used to do something similar using the Minion method only I used pavers which are also a good heat sink.
The S&S being metal might throw a bit of extra heat just like a kettle kone does.

My only suggestion is that it might still be getting too much air from the bottom, heat pulls cold dense air from the bottom vents, pulls it through the hot coals for fueling the coals then the hot air rises and it eventually finds the lid vent and escapes creating the convection of an oven to give you even heat.....not just try and close the bottom vents to maybe 10% and monitor it for a bit, keep the top vent open though otherwise you might get a sooty presence on your food, especially if you're using smoke wood. By closing down the vents at the bottom, you're limiting the amount of air being drawn for the fire and the temp of the fire reduces but while theres air to be had, the fire should keep going but at a very reduced temp.
Also, don't be too hung up trying to get an exact 225F like the yanks do, if it's 10-20F higher, it's still in the low n slow smoke range and it won't make much difference to the finished product.

Have fun with it

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
cs_rlewis

Post by cs_rlewis »

yeah i agree ive had plenty of bbq come out fine with the temp sitting at 290F

Anyone experimented with the green heatbeads briquettes?
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

I think using 12 briquettes at the start is the problem. Too many lit = too much heat.

I use 6 and it works fine.

I've used green. Burns lower temp. Made different to Red. Different smelling smoke. They're ok. The main problem I found is that they are more expensive than red.
cs_rlewis

Post by cs_rlewis »

12x7 wrote:I think using 12 briquettes at the start is the problem. Too many lit = too much heat.

I use 6 and it works fine.

I've used green. Burns lower temp. Made different to Red. Different smelling smoke. They're ok. The main problem I found is that they are more expensive than red.
That's true. I'd say the Americans use the kingsford briquettes and 12 is probably fine with them.
I'll start with 6-8 briquettes next time

Unzippy

Post by Unzippy »

I use 8 lit briquettes to start with and don't struggle.

A Tip Top Temp might help (and it's a reason to buy another BBQ toy :lol: ) It's counter intuitive to use - completely closing the bottom vents is just weird - but it works fantastically for me.