Weber Summit Charcoal

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
csal

Weber Summit Charcoal

Post by csal »

I was wondering if anyone had purchased one of these and what they think of them.

https://www.weberbbq.com.au/barbecues/c ... -charcoal/

I would be a newbie to charcoal.

I am toying between a Kamado Joe and the Weber Summit Charcoal - advantages and disadvantages with both I understand.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Intend to do low and slow as well as charcoal rotisserie if possible (they dont have a joetisserie equivalent for the WSC)
12x7

Re: Weber Summit Charcoal

Post by 12x7 »

You really can't go too wrong with either a Kamado Joe or the Summit.

Kamado Joe has been selling for a quite a few years by BBQ Galore and Weber has been In Australia since the 1970's so after sale service isn't a problem for either.

Both cook great food.

From a fast heat-up perspective the Summit will be better as it is made of metal. With a ceramic such as Kamado Joe you have to be wary of heating up the ceramic too quick to avoid cracking.

There's quite a few Kamado Joes around in Australia. If you want be different, get a Summit.

I wouldn't worry about a rotie in a Kamado. Better spending $200 and getting a separate standalone rotie. Once you have the Summit or KJ, you will probably find you won't use the roti too much as it uses too much fuel, takes too long to cook and more work.

With the Summit you can use briquettes like heat beads and lump charcoal. The KJ uses lump charcoal.

If you want to push the BBQ around, the Summit is better as it is a lot lighter. If you are near the ocean get the KJ as the Summit is more prone to rust.
csal

Post by csal »

Thank you for your response.

Your last point makes sense and is a good one - i live 300m from Port Phillip Bay.
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

csal wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:41 am i live 300m from Port Phillip Bay.
Lucky man and a great reason to get a BBQ of any sorts being that close to the sea.