Has anyone tried smoking on an apartment balcony?

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
cs_rlewis

Has anyone tried smoking on an apartment balcony?

Post by cs_rlewis »

Hey guys,
Got myself a weber kettle and do a bit of cooking on my apartment balcony. I decided add a couple of wood chunks in yesterday, i got a good smoke going however i was afraid the smoke would drift into other peoples balconies and rooms and set off the smoke alarms, so I decided to take them off. Has anyone had experience with these type of cooks in apartment balconies?

Cheers, Ryan
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Has anyone tried smoking on an apartment balcony?

Post by Davo »

Balcony smoking can be a tricky issue but there are ways to minimalise the smoke. Firstly just user 1 large chunk of wood on the coals. Have your coals set up on 1 side of kettle and food opposite side, when you put the lid on, ensure the top vent is over the meat and not the fire.
This will ensure the smoke drifts over your meat.
Close the top vent about 50% and that will restrict air and reduce your fire temp somewhat but will also ensure the wood chunk won't burn too hot or too fast. You need the internal kettle temp to be in the range of 110-140c.
If the kettle looks like it is still up too high, place a small tray of cool water overtop of where the fire is to act as a heat sink.
Another way is to use the snake method to ensure a lower temp burn.
You only need the wood to smoulder and not burn profusely by keeping the coal temp low. The snake method or a minion method is the best way to accomplish that by having unlit coals gradually catch on by a smaller amount of lit coals.this should keep the smoke to a minimum.
https://heatbeads.com.au/hints-and-tips ... ke-method/
https://www.grillbeast.com/blog/grill-l ... r-smoking/
https://www.grillbeast.com/blog/grill-l ... ater-pans/

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Powderdigit

Post by Powderdigit »

Hey Ryan - after a day in the garden - I’ve stopped for a lager and I see a thread has popped up on Tapatalk. I reckon your question is great and for all the good advice that Davo suggests ... I reckon, check the wind direction and offer your ‘friends’ lunch or dinner based on whoever is being inconvenienced by the smoke ... with the great taste of your food - they’ll forgive their apartment smelling like souvlaki bar and hopefully the fire brigade is not called if the doors are shut! I jest of course - I think the fact that you stopped smoking suggests you are a great neighbour and on a serious note - if you give your neighbours warning - they’ll probably be cool with the idea. I am guessing they may want to try similar in future anyway. Cheers Pdx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Powderdigit
titch

Post by titch »

If your covered by body corporate, check first.
some buildings have fire rules
Cheers
Titch
Powderdigit

Post by Powderdigit »

titch wrote:If your covered by body corporate, check first.
Davo and Titch are clearly the sensible folk on this thread. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Powderdigit
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

titch wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:14 pm If your covered by body corporate, check first.
Yes this is a good idea....some body corporates or strata rules may rule out some forms of solid fuels. Not so much for older apartments but for newer apartments it seems the rules are more stricter....well in Sydney anyway.
Powderdigit also has come up with a good suggestion, if you know your neighbours and have a good relationship with them, invite them over for a cook-up or offer some peacekeepings...might keep em quite...altho with my luck, they'd be vegetarians :lol:
I also live in a strata complex but in a villa which is a house like structure and not multi-story so i'm pretty lucky here, smoke doesn't seem to worry anyone.

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
cs_rlewis

Post by cs_rlewis »

thanks for all the advice guys!
i think maybe im just going to take a chance and cook with a little smoke.
I live in a newer style building 32 floors with a concierge, so its on the stricter side of things.
Ill report back if any smoke alarms go off in the process - im more worried about that rather than the neighbours complaining actually.
droopylee95

Post by droopylee95 »

cs_rlewis wrote:thanks for all the advice guys!
i think maybe im just going to take a chance and cook with a little smoke.
I live in a newer style building 32 floors with a concierge, so its on the stricter side of things.
Ill report back if any smoke alarms go off in the process - im more worried about that rather than the neighbours complaining actually.
Just play dumb if trouble arises.
Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

the dane

Post by the dane »

We have some elderly Greek people 2 houses down from us, every few weeks there sons and familys meet up. The charcoal smell is amazing and the amount of smoke is huge so must be a spit or spits or simular. Some times i think about the first neighbors with smoke. But the aroma a few hours latter is amazing. All good till the Greek music starts up, and some type of musical instrument starts up. Then i go inside

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Lovey
Forum Moderator

Post by Lovey »

Put a fan blowing outwards to the balcony which should keep the smoke away from the building.
Unzippy

Post by Unzippy »

Not had any complaints yet - but then we are on the top floor :wink:

There is relatively little smoke generated when going, it's the clouds of white smoke on start up that people are more likely to whinge about - not sure how you can get round that. Both lump and briquette seem to chuck it out as they get going.

The guy below comes out to his balcony avery 30 mins for a ciggy. No one has complained about him either yet.
cs_rlewis

Post by cs_rlewis »

Unzippy wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:24 pm Image

Not had any complaints yet - but then we are on the top floor :wink:

There is relatively little smoke generated when going, it's the clouds of white smoke on start up that people are more likely to whinge about - not sure how you can get round that. Both lump and briquette seem to chuck it out as they get going.

The guy below comes out to his balcony avery 30 mins for a ciggy. No one has complained about him either yet.
That pic is good enough for me 8)
Unzippy

Post by Unzippy »

Actually, scratch that - start when it's dark :wink: