Weber Kettle or Hooded Spit?

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
luke-h

Weber Kettle or Hooded Spit?

Post by luke-h »

Hi All,

Love this forum; have lurked for a while. I'm new to BBQ and have gotten started by picking up a smoker (thanks to this forum - see https://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewto ... =1&t=17661). I'm looking to compliment this with something for general charcoal grilling and ideally spit roasting. I am tossing up between

1. Getting a Weber Kettle and the Weber rotisserie addon (or similar addon unit)
2. Getting a hooded spit unit - something like this: https://www.dizzylamb.com.au/spit-roast ... bbq-detail

Money will a factor eventually but I'd rather work out the "right answer" first and then look at the costs and ways to buy.

Can a hooded spit unit function as a charcoal grill like the Weber? Or does the Weber work the way it does because of its kettle shape and because Webers just work?

And if i go the Weber - can I add a rotisserie and produce lamb and pork roasts like a spit unit would?

I have noticed that everyone with the Weber rotisserie seems to use it with the lid on. I know the Weber can do indirect cooking for normal roasts, i.e. with the lid on, but isn't the idea of a spit roast to do it slowly in the open air? Will the Weber work for this too or am I missing something?

Thanks heaps
luke-h

Re: Weber Kettle or Hooded Spit?

Post by luke-h »

One more question sorry - it looks like with the Weber, if I use the rotisserie addon, I can only put one thing on the rotisserie and can only cook one thing at a time. Is that right? Is there any way to cook more?

Thanks again
Old Dave

Post by Old Dave »

The Weber Kettle with a rotisserie unit is one great cooker and would be my vote. Here are some of the cooks that can be done on one of these units.

These are a couple of chickens on the spit.

Some chicken wings in a basket on the spit.

Bottom round roast on the spit to be used for roast beef.

Nine pound ham on the spit.

Kabobs on the spit.

More roast beef.

Another ham on the spit.

Another roast beef cook.

Wings on the Jumbo Joe 18" kettle in a basket.

Whole chicken on the 18" Weber kettle.

Another chicken on the 18" kettle.

Beef Ribs over some root vegetables.
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs BBQ Team
http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com
luke-h

Post by luke-h »

Hard to argue with those pics Dave! Only thing holding me back is thinking about what to do if I want to spit roast and grill at the same time. I suppose that’s what having multiple kettles is for?
paulr
Forum Administrator

Post by paulr »

I reckon the weber kettle is great for spit roasting in general, not sure about larger pieces like a suckling pig....
Give you an excuse for 2 of them....

Happy BBQ-ing, Paul
http://aussiebbq.info/wp - my blog
https://lifesafeast.com.au/cookingclass ... criptions/ - great cooking classes
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.
luke-h

Post by luke-h »

Thanks guys, looks like the weber+roti (plus second Weber if I want to grill at the same time) is winning the day. It’s interesting seeing as the cost of the roti add on is actually more than getting a dedicated spit unit, but I assume it has the advantage of being able to be hooded by the kettle or left open if desired. Is that how they justify the price?
Angryman65

Post by Angryman65 »

Have a look at the Bunnings three in 1 kettle.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/jumbuck-ket ... g_p3180713

Comes with a removable pizza ring and a rotisserie. makes for a very versatile set up and only $200.

I've had mine for a couple of years and it gets a workout, does everything I've asked of it
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.
the dane

Post by the dane »

My neighbors brought this a few weeks ago from bunnings. Very good for the price. He uses it every few days nowImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

luke-h

Post by luke-h »

Thanks for the replies everyone, I think where I have landed is on getting a Weber kettle (I’ll probably go second hand) and the rotisserie addon (which will have to be new seeing as no one is selling a used one), even though the addon is outrageously priced.

Angryman65, your suggestion of the Jumbuck got me wondering whether I should get it as a second kettle and use the accessories it has with the Weber. But I think I’ll suck it up and go with Weber, and the Jumbuck accessory is a combined pizza oven and rotisserie ring, so I don’t think it’s usable with the hood because the pizza oven hole is still there.

Dane, always good to know for another $80 or so I can always get a dedicated spit unit anyway if I need more room!
Angryman65

Post by Angryman65 »

luke-h,

The pizza and rotisirie ring is removable so it works as a kettle when you want to do that, pizza oven with the lid on when you want pizza's and a rotisserie without the lid when you want to spin some food.

Very versatile, but at the end of the day you have to be happy with what you choose. have fun with whatever you end up getting
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.
Powderdigit

Post by Powderdigit »

Hey Luke -h,
I’m sure you’ll enjoy whatever you buy and as I did, you sort of feel better by asking around in forums like this. Me - I’m a Weber guy ... I just reckon everything feels solid, is reliable and just works on any of their stuff. I cooked in a mate’s ‘q’ recently and loved the way that cooked too. Somewhere is this forum is this story of me getting a new lid - gratis - on my 9-10 year old kettle. There’s a bit of - ‘so what’ in that - but I kinda like the fact they company backs their product like that. Does it make it cook better than a cheaper alt - don’t know - haven’t got one but .:.. I enjoy cooking on what I’ve got. And perhaps that’s the point - whatever you get, I’m sure you’ll enjoy the cook. And Old Dave ... what a great set of photos [emoji4]. Cheers PDx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Powderdigit
the dane

Post by the dane »

Looking at getting one of these weber rotisseries. Can you cook a normal weber roast with the ring still attached. Or it needs to be taken off and stored somewhere? Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk