Cheap first kettle?

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
Gurilla

Cheap first kettle?

Post by Gurilla »

Hello everyone I have a Weber Q 3200

But I’m wanting to learn how to use a proper charcoal bbq

I was looking at getting a cheap jumbuck 54cm? Kettle from bunnings for $50 just to play around and learn

Are these good to learn on or should I get sometbing a little bit more ? I’ve never used one before so just after reviews if anyone has on these cheap units ?

Much appreciated Keith
Black Q 3200
Gurilla

Re: Cheap first kettle?

Post by Gurilla »

Will be wanting to try slow cooks and smoking

Prefer new as I know there are a lot of old second hand weber kettles on gumtree
Black Q 3200
excited-newbie

Post by excited-newbie »

hi gurilla
it may be a waste of money if you buy a cheaper 1 from Bunnings because you may which enjoy cooking with charcoal
and then spend more to get another kettle. I am not saying to go ahead and buy a dearer kettle to try but if you were to invest in a say weber kettle lower priced one and if by chance you did'nt like it the weber will be easier to resell. start with heat beads I have no affiliation with either weber or heat beads i just love my webers and heat beads as the units and beads very seldom go wrong even with your very first attempt the fun in trying is the knowlage you get from this site aswell as the members good luck and have a great time trying
chris
Angryman65

Post by Angryman65 »

Gurilla,

I started with a $50 Kmart kettle years ago and after wearing two of them out graduated to the $200 Bunnings one with the pizza oven and rotisserie ring.

Still cooking fine in them, not as deep as the Weber, the metal isn't as thick and the grills oxidise after about 20 high temp pizza cooks but it serves my needs. If you can afford the $200. Go for that one and then you've got other options too
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.
gnol

Post by gnol »

Second hand Webers can be found on ebay and gumtree as well.
paulr
Forum Administrator

Post by paulr »

Yup second hand webers or find one of the red ones when someone throws em out.... They were built to last!
Make sure you get a chimney so you can easily start-up with charcoal!!!

Happy BBQ-ing, Paul
http://aussiebbq.info/wp - my blog
https://lifesafeast.com.au/cookingclass ... criptions/ - great cooking classes
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.
Gurilla

Post by Gurilla »

paulr wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:33 pm Yup second hand webers or find one of the red ones when someone throws em out.... They were built to last!
Make sure you get a chimney so you can easily start-up with charcoal!!!

Happy BBQ-ing, Paul

Red ones ? The maroon color ones u see ? What brand are those my dad actually had one years ago “when I was a kid “ gone now though
Black Q 3200