Which Charcoal to use?

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
Mercthunder

Which Charcoal to use?

Post by Mercthunder »

Hi all. Just wondering which charcoal people on here use now that Heat Beads no longer make the 20kg boxes? Is there a better value charcoal out there?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bill44

Re: Which Charcoal to use?

Post by Bill44 »

I'm using their Coconut heat beads more and more, as well as the lump charcoal. The 10Kg bags od Coconut HB are about $18.00 at Bunnings but I picked up a couple of bags from Coles for $13.00/bag.

It burns hotter than the ordinary bead and has a far better smell as well as being easier to light, I'm very pleased with it.
Bill
Cast Iron Hibachi
Jackeroo Mini Spit
18 1/2" kettle
57cm Kettle
6 Burner Gasser sausage sizzler only.
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Kingsford plus coconut shell mix.

The Kingsford are easier to light and add a wonderful smoke flavour. The coconut shell adds the long burn time but are hard to light.

Since the meat absorbs the smoke flavour in the first hour, the Kingsford shorter burn time is fine. They get used up and the coconut shell takes over.
Mercthunder

Post by Mercthunder »

Thanks. Kingsford seems like its expensive... wheres the cheapest place to buy Kingsford in Australia?

Mercthunder

Post by Mercthunder »

Anyone tried out the firebrand bbq charcoal?

12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Mercthunder wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:40 pm Thanks. Kingsford seems like its expensive... wheres the cheapest place to buy Kingsford in Australia?

Woolies on special.
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Mercthunder wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:11 pm Anyone tried out the firebrand bbq charcoal?

Very good.

They have great briquettes and lump charcoal. Well known steak restaurant Rockpool in Sydney uses it.

Their courier prices to ship in Sydney are good.

Their list price is a bit expensive, so wait until they have a sale to stock up.

If you are in Sydney, try Emberpak. They have good charcoal and variety. They ship right across Sydney.
Mercthunder

Post by Mercthunder »

Fantastic, thanks for the advice everyone.

For those who have Charcoal BBQs here, i was wondering if there would be any issues in installing 2 thermometers on my Jumbo Joe? Id like to place one under the vent on the lid so i can monitor the temp for indirect cooking, and another closer to the top when simply using it as a grill/BBQ. Would there be any issues with this, would i lose too much heat via the thermometers?
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Mercthunder wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:34 am Fantastic, thanks for the advice everyone.

For those who have Charcoal BBQs here, i was wondering if there would be any issues in installing 2 thermometers on my Jumbo Joe? Id like to place one under the vent on the lid so i can monitor the temp for indirect cooking, and another closer to the top when simply using it as a grill/BBQ. Would there be any issues with this, would i lose too much heat via the thermometers?
Have a think about a dual probe thermometer like this from BBQG.

https://www.barbequesgalore.com.au/mave ... hermometer

A nice Christmas present for yourself and one you can use in one of your other BBQ's as well.

Once you have a remote thermometer, especially in winter and night, you wonder how you coped before you got one!