Weber Original Charcoal Pizza Oven #6520

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
Old Dave

Weber Original Charcoal Pizza Oven #6520

Post by Old Dave »

This original Weber product was introduced to the public in Europe in late 2013 and for some reason, Weber has no intentions of releasing it in the US as far as I know at the present time. I know of many people that have been asking for this accessory but it doesn’t look like it will happen.

When it was introduced, there were a couple of Weber sites in the UK that would sell and ship this unit to the US but both of them no longer do this, The last one I heard about came from Germany thru the Germany Amazon site and was quite expensive. It is a real shame as it is one nice product and will make some great pizzas.

The two pieces in front of the oven are the protectors for the plastic handles on the Weber kettle. Keeps them from melting in this high temp pizza oven.

The hearth stone in this oven is about 15-1/2” in diameter so it can bake a nice sized pizza and in a very short time. Operators manual shows a low of about 6 minutes to a high of about 10 minutes per pie.

This was a two pizza bake with one Pizza Margherita type of pizza and one kinda loaded up pizza with some of the same ingredients.

The manual calls for a full Weber charcoal chimney full of hot ashed over charcoal briquets and then about 30 more cold briquets on top of this for about 10 pizzas or one hour of baking. (Now, old tightwad Dave only had two pizzas to bake so he didn’t add the 30 cold briquets to the top of the fire and the oven didn’t get as hot as I wanted on this bake). High was about 575 degrees on the hearth and I wanted about 700 degrees for my high temp pizzas. Still made a couple of nice pizzas at this lower temp.

My fire just before I added the Pizza Oven.

I let the pizza oven warm up for about 15 minutes.

Temperature got up to about 540 degrees and I loaded the first pizza.

This one baked about 10 minutes and came out nice.

The second one took a little less time at about 9 minutes.

Both pizzas were turned about 180 degrees at about the halfway mark into the bake or after about 5 minutes on the cooker.

I think if I would have used enough charcoal, they should have taken about 5-6 minutes each.

I thought they looked pretty good for my first attempt with this accessory.

Made a nice lunch.
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs BBQ Team
http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Weber Original Charcoal Pizza Oven #6520

Post by Davo »

Nothing wrong with those Dave....they look superb...so they took a few extra minutes....but you saved 30 briquettes.....that's a lot of briquettes for 2 pizzas....those Weber chimneys hold a fair wad of coals on their own let alone adding another 30.....it'd be near cheaper to go and buy the pizzas for the cost of that amount of coals.

Looks like a nice bit of kit.....don't know why Weber does that....have something available in one part of the world against another especially due to the fact that they are an American Company.......it's like Europe gets colored kettles whereas other countries don't....Australia is a huge kettle using market per head of population and it's only got bigger due to the huge interest in low and slow BBQ that's hit our shores over the past 4 years. Used Weber kettles, especially colored ones are fetching way more than what they cost new these days with collectors buying up and restoring them....some guys here have got well over 30 weber kettles...all different colors...which we used to get 20 years ago.

Thanks for sharing Ol' Dave.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Bill44

Re: Weber Original Charcoal Pizza Oven #6520

Post by Bill44 »

Dave try the Coconut Heat beads, they burn hotter than the standard ones, might give you quicker cooking time with less chance of stewing the toppings.
Bill
Cast Iron Hibachi
Jackeroo Mini Spit
18 1/2" kettle
57cm Kettle
6 Burner Gasser sausage sizzler only.