Removing Kettle Gas Conversion

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
dimmy

Removing Kettle Gas Conversion

Post by dimmy »

I picked up a Weber with those larger wheels and the tuck away lid holder. Not sure what model it is, but it came with a gas conversion that I plan to remove. I've tried googling for the kit instructions, but cannot seem to locate them on the weber help site (model 8506). Does anyone have a copy of the installation instructions that they could scan for me or point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Removing Kettle Gas Conversion

Post by Davo »

Hi Dimmy,

I don't think it'd be that hard to remove the conversion but not having seen many already set up for that, does the gas inlet have an extra hole in the side of the kettle or does it go through the vents underneath? If the former, you're gonna have a big hole in the side which will affect the venting when using charcoal....but if the latter, after removal it can be used as a normal kettle providing the one touch vent system is still in place...if not you will have to buy it separately from the parts division of Weber Australia.
I know you can buy a gas conversion for a std kettle but one from the factory might be different perhaps?

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
titch

Post by titch »

I removed on once, I dont remember it being hard at all.
I dont think I had to repair anything, is yours a one touch sweep ,?
Cheers
Titch
dimmy

Post by dimmy »

Thanks guys.

This didn't come from Weber like this, the previous owner must have installed it. The gas pipe comes through the bottom vents. I'm just stuck trying to work out how to remove the pipe with plate that covers the vent hole. I think I need to unscrew the adaptor near the high / low knob, but it appears stuck tight. Is that the only way to remove the pipe? :?:
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Does it look like the Weber gas converter kit?

dimmy

Post by dimmy »

12x7, that's the gas conversion kit I have. How do you find the heat output?

I finally managed to take the gas burner out of the Weber by removing the clip that holds the mesh in place.
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

I don't bother.

I use the kettle for charcoal and my gasser for gas.

For start-up I find using a chimney is fast and using charcoal is a lot hotter than gas.

There are some really great accessories for the Kettle such as the Slow'n'Sear.

Check this video out. He bought the latest Weber Summit and paid a fortune and he finds a kettle with a Slow'n'Sear is just as good.

AzzzzzA

Post by AzzzzzA »

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm chasing a kettle gas conversion if anybody has one drop me a line.

Thanks
AzzzzzA
Performer - 2008
WSM - 2009
OTS - 2011
WGA - 2011
Q220 - 2013