Mallee vs Gidgee vs Mangrove vs Redgum

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
mrhvac

Post by mrhvac »

Hi All

I have been experimenting with the above charcoals and was wondering people's thoughts on pros and cons of each. I like the flavor mangrove adds to the meat but find when I use gidgee it doesnt add any flavor profile. I haven't tried Mallee yet. Just trying work out everyones thoughts. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Pesto3

Post by Pesto3 »

Hi, I use Gidgee all the time but you're right, it doesn't add any major flavor. But I like that. I have some Redgum and am looking forward to trying it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smokey

Re: Mallee vs Gidgee vs Mangrove vs Redgum

Post by Smokey »

Technically, The harder and denser the host wood is, The better "Performing" the charcoal.
Gidge comes in at around 1250kg per M3 dried.
Red gum and Mangrove come in about the same @ 900kg per M3 dried.
There are over 17 types of Mallee in Australia, All with varying densities. But average around 1000kg per M3 in the root. Way too many variations in mallee to put a tag on it.
But if your comparing flavor? Each to their own. Then there is crap batches to contend with and they all suffer from that.
I keep and use all of them for different things. Say on an open spit id use the mangrove as its cheap and easy to keep burning. In the Hibachi, Red gum for its flavor hit. In the Komado, Gidge for its no surprises and excellent burning performance that is critical when its not easy to get to the fire once its going and food loaded.
Treat them just as three different tools. :)
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Pesto3

Post by Pesto3 »

Smokey wrote:Technically, The harder and denser the host wood is, The better "Performing" the charcoal.
Gidge comes in at around 1250kg per M3 dried.
Red gum and Mangrove come in about the same @ 900kg per M3 dried.
There are over 17 types of Mallee in Australia, All with varying densities. But average around 1000kg per M3 in the root. Way too many variations in mallee to put a tag on it.
But if your comparing flavor? Each to their own. Then there is crap batches to contend with and they all suffer from that.
I keep and use all of them for different things. Say on an open spit id use the mangrove as its cheap and easy to keep burning. In the Hibachi, Red gum for its flavor hit. In the Komado, Gidge for its no surprises and excellent burning performance that is critical when its not easy to get to the fire once its going and food loaded.
Treat them just as three different tools. :)
I have some redgum chunks here for smoking, is it better suited for red or white meat? I know it's a personal preference thing but I would like your thoughts on it. You seem to know a bit about wood!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mrhvac

Post by mrhvac »

Thanks mate

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk