Different Charcoal For Different Situations

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
jourgo

Different Charcoal For Different Situations

Post by jourgo »

Hi folks.

My first experience at cooking with charcoal happened two weeks ago when I took delivery of a Kamado Joe Classic. Never cooked with charcoal before owning this beast, now I wonder how the hell am I only just discovering this!?

Anyway - when I bought the KJ, BBQs Galore threw a bag of KJ charcoal in with the deal. As such its the only charcoal I have ever used. Reading through a few posts on this forum appears to confirm a suspicion about this stuff - its good, but not worth what they're charging ($50 for 10kg).

So I'm looking at alternatives. It would appear - understandably - that different types of charcoal suit different applications. There are ones that are good for slow & low, and others good for high-temp searing & so on.

Questions for those more knowledgeable than me (which will be pretty much all of you):

What is a good "all-rounder"?
I've read a lot of glowing reviews of the WA Mallee charcoal - believe the hype? How does it compare to the KJ charcoal (not in price so much as in application)?
Diggers charcoal available at Bunnings - what I've read tells me its pretty good but that was all written a few years ago. Is it still any good?

As is clear I'm still learning this caper and have a long, long way to go. Any advice you all can give would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Jourgo.
Kamado Joe Classic
titch

Re: Different Charcoal For Different Situations

Post by titch »

Personally I have no idea,and going by the last month or two, the owner or Admin off this forum will not help you out as well.
Google Australian BBQ forums and go elsewhere.
I'm sad to say this but I believe people and this forum have been abandoned
Sad really
Cheers
Titch
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

With real lump charcoal, Its can be a cat out of the bag even with the same brand. The original wood density has the most effect.
Then size. One deals with it one the day. If its light junky imported you know its going to burn faster. If its Gidgee you know its going to burn long so adjust how much you use.
Your KJ can lock down and snuff the burn so generally your clear of loosing heat just by starting with a full tank.
Just try a few types and see what you like. Some blokes rave about Charcoal I'm not fussed about so its gotta be personal preference.
Titch is right, There are Three forums that sprung from this one. Mine is in the link below however is not strictly just BBQ It also includes home cooking in all forms.
I guess the different interest's here kind of separated. Though a lot of AussieCue members enjoy all four forums.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Grunter

Post by Grunter »

Smokey wrote:With real lump charcoal, Its can be a cat out of the bag even with the same brand. The original wood density has the most effect.
Then size. One deals with it one the day. If its light junky imported you know its going to burn faster. If its Gidgee you know its going to burn long so adjust how much you use.
Your KJ can lock down and snuff the burn so generally your clear of loosing heat just by starting with a full tank.
Just try a few types and see what you like. Some blokes rave about Charcoal I'm not fussed about so its gotta be personal preference.
Titch is right, There are Three forums that sprung from this one. Mine is in the link below however is not strictly just BBQ It also includes home cooking in all forms.
I guess the different interest's here kind of separated. Though a lot of AussieCue members enjoy all four forums.

Any chance of sharing links to the other forums?
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Happy to accommodate,
The owners of these forums do talk to each other and as far as I'm concerned, Are happy with their chosen lot. Each is unique in there conduct of of business/ Social service

1) http://aussiecue.dudeworld.com.au/STC/ - Food focused and covers other backyard and indoor kitchen cooking, No Vendors or pop up ads and run by a not for profit committee. Family G rated, Apart maybe in the members only Bar.
2) http://smokefireandfood.com/forum/index.php?board-list/ - Much like this forum was, Has Vendors but no pop up ads. Run by a business. Family G rated.
3) http://www.aussiepitmasters.com.au/index.php - Into competition, Hipster scene. Has Vendors, Run by an independent tied to the BBQ business. MA rated.
They are all excellent forums and run/ supported by very good cooks and great members.
Some of the above forums dont like other forums links but I say that is a mistake. Who am I to say what you like? I enjoy them all :D
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Smokey wrote: 2) http://smokefireandfood.com/forum/index.php?board-list/ - Much like this forum was, Has Vendors but no pop up ads. Run by a business. Family G rated.
Incorrect Mick.

Smoke Fire and Food is run by a committee of 4 BBQ enthusiasts, not a "Business".....so probably the less bias of the lot. It was setup to focus on BBQ Education, we mentor BBQ teams and promote BBQ in all it's forms, the tutorial section of the SFaF forum has been setup to provide education on BBQ techniques. The SFaF forum also organizes cooperative Meat purchasing for members.

Regards
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
pierre

Post by pierre »

titch wrote:Personally I have no idea,and going by the last month or two, the owner or Admin off this forum will not help you out as well.
Google Australian BBQ forums and go elsewhere.
I'm sad to say this but I believe people and this forum have been abandoned
Sad really
I have personally did not write on this forum for an year after I was questioned and kinda bullied by a couple of moderators at anything I posted at the start. This is my experience.
pierre

Post by pierre »

jourgo wrote:Hi folks.

My first experience at cooking with charcoal happened two weeks ago when I took delivery of a Kamado Joe Classic. Never cooked with charcoal before owning this beast, now I wonder how the hell am I only just discovering this!?

Anyway - when I bought the KJ, BBQs Galore threw a bag of KJ charcoal in with the deal. As such its the only charcoal I have ever used. Reading through a few posts on this forum appears to confirm a suspicion about this stuff - its good, but not worth what they're charging ($50 for 10kg).

So I'm looking at alternatives. It would appear - understandably - that different types of charcoal suit different applications. There are ones that are good for slow & low, and others good for high-temp searing & so on.

Questions for those more knowledgeable than me (which will be pretty much all of you):

What is a good "all-rounder"?
I've read a lot of glowing reviews of the WA Mallee charcoal - believe the hype? How does it compare to the KJ charcoal (not in price so much as in application)?
Diggers charcoal available at Bunnings - what I've read tells me its pretty good but that was all written a few years ago. Is it still any good?

As is clear I'm still learning this caper and have a long, long way to go. Any advice you all can give would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Jourgo.
In Adelaide you'd pay around $30 for a 20kg bag of good charcoal. Keep in mind if you want consistency briquettes are more reliable since they all have the same shape and produced with the same product
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

[quote="

Incorrect Mick.

Smoke Fire and Food is run by a committee of 4 BBQ enthusiasts, not a "Business".....so probably the less bias of the lot. It was setup to focus on BBQ Education, we mentor BBQ teams and promote BBQ in all it's forms, the tutorial section of the SFaF forum has been setup to provide education on BBQ techniques. The SFaF forum also organizes cooperative Meat purchasing for members.

Regards
Chris[/quote]

No worries, Happy to be corrected, Its run by a committee of four, One of whom is a BBQ business owner.
Its not meant to be a negative.
Angryman65

Post by Angryman65 »

[quote="

Cheers,
Jourgo.[/quote]

Be a bit careful with Mallee in a ceramic cooker. They are a great thing and Mallee is great charcoal but it burns really hot (at least the NSW stuff does). The guy I get mine from in Western NSW told me not to use it in a Kamado because it might crack it.

I don't have one so can't comment but know it gets the proQ going flat out very quickly.

Someone from WA might know more about the Mallee from there. Try the Bunnings stuff, part of the fun of BBQ cooking is experimenting.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Smokey wrote:[quote="

Incorrect Mick.

Regards
Chris
No worries, Happy to be corrected, Its run by a committee of four, One of whom is a BBQ business owner.
Its not meant to be a negative.[/quote]

I kinda like Mick's version better :P :twisted: :lol:
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
titch

Post by titch »

Davo wrote:
Smokey wrote:[quote="

Incorrect Mick.

Regards
Chris
Its not meant to be a negative.

I kinda like Mick's version better :P :twisted: :lol:[/quote]

So what is your helpful reply to the OP
Buggered if I can help any further
Cheers
Titch
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Titch, Kinda you threw the forum thingo in.
Only a few of the old class are supporting Davo be it in limited ability. He is not responsible for what ever the hell is happening here.
I know that you have stayed a stalwart and some others too. The problem is beyond Davos control.

Also, for others info, Re the forum links and descriptions, That is just fly away personal impression of the guts of each.
Ive no intention to further discuss whose forum is Godly or what ever. Those forums can speak for themselves.

Lets not beat around the bush, The forum suffered a walk out. But that is the world of forums.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

I can't really offer much in the way of advice using Lump charcoal, it's only been the last couple of years since it's becoming a bit more available, not much choice here in Newcastle though.
I'm with Pierre here about heatbeads, they do have hardwood charcoal in them as well as fine brown coal (best you can get apparently) and vegetable starches to hold them together..theres no nasties in them except the yellow bag variety where it has an accelerant to self light...we advise all to stay away if they are doing anything other than high heat grilling. With heatbeads they are constant heat sorce that any smoking wood can be added to without competing with each other.

The red and grey bags are great.

But with charcoal, well, a lot has to do with the timber species and origin...I'l love to try mallee root but I've never seen it here, nor have I seen gidgee.

Gidgee must be good for the song " by the fire of gidgee coals" to be written by bushmen songwriters like Slim Dusty and Stan Coster.
http://www.songs-tube.net/158526-Slim%2 ... 0Coal.html

Anyway.....as for this forum...I just think now it's too late....too many have come and gone....too much competition not only from other forums but from Facebook as well....people are trying to get more instant gratification where forums can have their quiet periods.
I'm looking at taking a long rest soon, been pushing it here since it began almost 8 yrs ago....I'm pursuing other interests besides BBQ lately, I gotta step away from it totally for some time....Paul doesn't seem interested as usual..so why should I bother..it's not my joint. I'll just go and BBQ for myself just as I did before these forums began but with a fair bit of extra knowledge.

I'm considering a big move again this year, I've thought about going back to Sydney but it's just way too expensive, i'l never buy back there, so I was looking at some jobs that fit my description up on the Goldie.....my sights are glued towards there..I just wanna slow down some and relax a bit...don't need to work my guts out any more...just enough to enjoy life a bit after years of shiftwork. Mick..I might need to pick your knowledge of Goldie if it's ok..you know..good places to live. I'm focusing on around Southport/Labrador/ Helensvale areas......don't want to go inland to the Coomeras.

So if this forum eventually stalls......I have no regrets....only to say "it's been one helluva ride"!! :lol: :lol:

But even if I do step out..feel free to talk amongst yourselves :mrgreen:

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Ill take that Gold Coast Convo Private Davo,, :wink: