Different Charcoal For Different Situations

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
AussieBBQSmoke

Re: Different Charcoal For Different Situations

Post by AussieBBQSmoke »

G'day Fellas,
Lots of info on local Australian made pure Lump Charcoal here, the Murrumbidgee River Red Gum ashless Charcoal is made by a good mate: http://store.aussiebbqsmoke.com/products/lump-charcoal
titch

Post by titch »

Gotta Give it to you Davo, you did try very hard :wink:
Cheers
Titch
yakabot

Post by yakabot »

Agree with Titch. You've always been an awesome member/admin Davo.
jourgo

Post by jourgo »

AussieBBQSmoke wrote:G'day Fellas,
Lots of info on local Australian made pure Lump Charcoal here, the Murrumbidgee River Red Gum ashless Charcoal is made by a good mate: http://store.aussiebbqsmoke.com/products/lump-charcoal
Cheers for the link - that's quite helpful.

And yeah - experimenting with different fuels and different foods is going to be part of the fun of this whole thing. Doubt I'll come up with anything anyone hasn't seen before but if I stumble across something that knocks it out of the park, I'll be sure to tell you all.

Cheers.
Kamado Joe Classic
titch

Post by titch »

Just be careful about what you read and get advised.
I notice you got a reply by a Vendor.
The vendor stated in his link that.
""Heat Beads need to get white hot and ash over till they are safe to cook on... how do you then add more later? Lump Charcoal is pure and can be safely used for top ups! Briquettes and Beads are usually formed from low quality Brown Coal Char, Corn Starch binder and Potassium Nitrate accelerant...nasty.""
I would question that Vendor on that comment,
I have linked that to Redheads to query this,
I hope to get a reply as many of us Do slow cooking with them.Usually the snake method.
Cheers
Titch
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

The brown coal is actually a higher grade coal than black coal but as far as an accelerant is concerned, I'd have to dispute this....theres a self lighting version of heat beads which has an accelerant on the surface but by the time it's greyed over the accelerant would be gone, but you wuld never use these ones for the snake method but the ones in the red or grey bags are totally safe. They stake their reputation on it and are the highest sold BBQ fuel besides LPG. They wouldn't last long in business if they had crap stuff in their heatbeads. I've never had any tainted food by using Heat Beads fuel and that's all I pretty much use....they are a very safe, reliable and versatile fuel.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

My concern with coal in heat beads is the radioactivity
Coal Ash Is More Radioactive than Nuclear Waste

By burning away all the pesky carbon and other impurities, coal power plants produce heaps of radiation
http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... ear-waste/
chilling while grilling
yakabot

Post by yakabot »

Really?? If heat beads really have radioactive stuff in them, we'd all be dead from them, or the meat they would have nuked
titch

Post by titch »

yakabot wrote:Really?? If heat beads really have radioactive stuff in them, we'd all be dead from them, or the meat they would have nuked
Maybe why I can see thru a lot of posters here :wink:

The article did have this ate the bottom
As a general clarification, ounce for ounce, coal ash released from a power plant delivers more radiation than nuclear waste shielded via water or dry cask storage.
End of Quote

I assume my Weber doesn't emit the Crap that Electrical power plant s do .
I sometimes work at our local Power Plant and I don't glow in the dark
Cheers
Titch
Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

Im still concerned
The study found that levels of radioactivity in the ash were up to five times higher than in normal soil, and up to 10 times higher than in the parent coal itself because of the way combustion concentrates radioactivity.
"Until now, metals and contaminants such as selenium and arsenic have been the major known contaminants of concern in coal ash,"
Radium isotopes and lead-210 occur naturally in coal as chemical by-products of its uranium and thorium content. Vengosh's research team revealed that when the coal is burned, the radium isotopes become concentrated in the coal ash residues, and the lead-210 becomes chemically volatile and reattaches itself to tiny particles of fly ash. This causes additional enrichment of radioactivity in the fly ash.
"Because of the tiny size of the fly ash particles, they are much more likely to be suspended in air if they are disposed in a dry form. People breathing this air may face increased risks, particularly since tiny particles tend to be more enriched in radioactivity,"
http://phys.org/news/2015-09-radioactiv ... l-ash.html
chilling while grilling
Dam

Post by Dam »

jourgo wrote:Hi folks.

BBQs Galore threw a bag of KJ charcoal in with the deal.
I have a Kamado too, i was quite happy with the bag from BBQ galore ( but it was not that expensive) but then I got then 3 bags 20kg of Gidgee, I am still trying to finish them.

This Gidgee is a very hot charcoal, probably great but I found it does not work as well as the BBQ Galore one in a Kamado as it produces much more ashes that clog charcoal.
baguspeter

Post by baguspeter »

titch wrote:
yakabot wrote:Really?? If heat beads really have radioactive stuff in them, we'd all be dead from them, or the meat they would have nuked

Maybe why I can see thru a lot of posters here :wink:

The article did have this ate the bottom

As a general clarification, ounce for ounce, coal ash released from a power plant delivers more radiation than nuclear waste shielded via water or dry cask storage.
End of Quote

I assume my Weber doesn't emit the Crap that Electrical power plant s do .
I sometimes work at our local Power Plant and I don't glow in the dark
You might take on a glow after a few Bintangs. :D
titch

Post by titch »

Going in May again, so I might get a glow up
Cheers
Titch
baguspeter

Post by baguspeter »

titch wrote:Going in May again, so I might get a glow up
Bagus sekali,I'm jealous. :(
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Dam wrote:
jourgo wrote:Hi folks.

BBQs Galore threw a bag of KJ charcoal in with the deal.
I have a Kamado too, i was quite happy with the bag from BBQ galore ( but it was not that expensive) but then I got then 3 bags 20kg of Gidgee, I am still trying to finish them.

This Gidgee is a very hot charcoal, probably great but I found it does not work as well as the BBQ Galore one in a Kamado as it produces much more ashes that clog charcoal.
This is interesting Dam, In my komado id have to rate Gidgee as a 5/5, or a unicorn.
Yes it is hotter as gidgee wood is up there with ebony in density or weight per kg3.
In fact its the hardest native wood in Australia.
The imported stuff is laxy dazy in comparison being made from much less dense wood and is therefore is much easier to use however maybe if you change ratios of amount of fuel base and amount of starter (minion) fuel you might find some joy.
Let it go and gidgee will indeed blaze away. Stay with it and learn how to choke it down :wink:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au