Satay grills. Who has one? What should I look for?

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
GPH

Satay grills. Who has one? What should I look for?

Post by GPH » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:31 am

I am hoping there are plenty of experienced "Charcoal" Grillers out there. I should imagine many of you have experienced the joys of street food in SE Asia (Satay Club in Singapore for example) .
I have for some time wanted to try this style of cooking, it doesn't taste right when done on a flat grill BBQ.
I live in Brisbane bayside (Cleveland) I am looking to buy one, but would prefer to see them in the flesh.
So my questions are:
1. Does anyone have one of these grills?
2. What are they like to cook on?
3. Do you use "Beads" or "Charcoal"? ( I'm told charcoal is part of the taste experience)
What size and style of cooker is ideal. ( I have seen photos of the Ferraboli free standing unit, and the smaller Asian style table top units)
4. Any other useful tips and recommendations?
5. I plan to cook a variety of styles, from the standard Asian satay through to the Italian style Arrosticini, and everything in between.
Thanks in anticipation.
Graham.

Groovy Gorilla

Re: Satay grills. Who has one? What should I look for?

Post by Groovy Gorilla » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:46 am

How many do you want to cook for will determine the size you need,if its just the small family a hibachi will probably do it.
chilling while grilling

12x7

Post by 12x7 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:09 pm

Look for a "free" Weber kettle on the roadside clean-up or on eBay or gumtree.

You can use head beads or lump charcoal. If you use Malaysian or Thai lump charcoal you will get authentic asian charcoal smoke flavour.

GPH

Post by GPH » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:07 pm

Ok, you need to understand.
I don't just have one oven, I have three, a 3 ft wide stove with 6 burner gas. A steam oven, and a wall oven, this does not include my BBQ and pizza oven or my sous vide.
I will cook for 5 to 50 .... (The 50 not so often) entertaining for me is at least 6 but 15-20 is fine. I live to cook :lol:
So an hibachi while a nice idea, isn't going to cut it.
Keep the advice coming. Any tips on charcoal ?

Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:41 pm

Y skewers per B person each skewer needs Z space to cook

Y X B X Z = the size of your grill needed depending on if you are going to cook them all at once.

Hibachi would do the five a bigger one will do the 5
Up to you if you want to buy/fabricate a trough or build a trough with loose fire bricks to adjust the skewer lengths depending on what you are cooking.
The concept of the skewer was to cook a little bit of meat with a little bit of wood
or a
https://www.cyprusgrill.com.au/browse_C ... _BBQ's.htm
chilling while grilling

GPH

Post by GPH » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:02 am

That looks very impressive. I wonder if there is a Brisbane based outlet?

Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:31 am

Which one ?
chilling while grilling

GPH

Post by GPH » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:48 pm

Wildwood. Where would they be available ?

Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:15 pm

They are made in the US and run on gas so it would be a problem getting it in
http://www.wildwoodovens.com/japanese-yakitori-grill/

I bet you could get the specs and have a stainless guy fold one up for you here and run it on charcoal.

or get a Japanese one

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Japanese-Yak ... OSwFqJWnb8~

or a thai one

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BBQ-Grill-Th ... Swk1JWcVI3
chilling while grilling

beginner

Post by beginner » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:17 pm

awesome, love yakitori, and thai street chicken goes bloody good on the back of a motorbike taxi

probably overpriced but I'm aware of these ones, dunno how they perform, not sure if there's much in it but I've never used a hibachi myself

http://www.chefsarmoury.com/collections ... bbq-grills

my guess is fuel source will count most, and of course getting your marinades / seasonings right, we should be right here in terms of meat quality

would love some recipe tips on this kinda stuff

GPH

Post by GPH » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:58 pm

After careful consideration, I am leaning toward the smaller unit, mainly because I need to store it easily when not in use, also there is unlikely to be many opportunities to cater for 50 plus at a time. thanks everyone for great input.

baguspeter

Post by baguspeter » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:01 pm

GPH wrote:After careful consideration, I am leaning toward the smaller unit, mainly because I need to store it easily when not in use, also there is unlikely to be many opportunities to cater for 50 plus at a time. thanks everyone for great input.
Google Bbq Aroma, they have lots of grills for skewers, long narrow grills some have folding legs to aid storage, Cheers Pete.

GPH

Post by GPH » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:05 am

baguspeter wrote:
GPH wrote:After careful consideration, I am leaning toward the smaller unit, mainly because I need to store it easily when not in use, also there is unlikely to be many opportunities to cater for 50 plus at a time. thanks everyone for great input.
Google Bbq Aroma, they have lots of grills for skewers, long narrow grills some have folding legs to aid storage, Cheers Pete.
Thanks Pete. I did eventually find (I hope) what I'm looking for.
I found Constante Imports in Melbourne. They have a range of Arrosticini BBQ's. I opted for the version with folding legs (mainly to keep costs down) however should this unit prove to be the fun option I suspect it may end up being, I will probably eventually upgrade to the larger, heavier grade stainless steel version. This retails for around $300.00.
They even have an electric version which rotates your Arrosticini over the coals. But I want to be more hands on.
I am expecting to take delivery before the weekend. I shall give it a go then.
Thanks to all who have offered suggestions and advice.

titch

Post by titch » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:05 pm

Bit late to this post but:
The Afghan shops around us sell great looking little charcoal grills.
look very much like the ones in Borneo and Indonesia.
You like Asian street food skewers,? grab a pot, plant a lemon grass plant and kick your Friends Butts .
The grass grows strong and hard and is great to feed stuff on to grill.
No need to soak in water to stop them burning, and adds a lemon flavour.

My Edit.
Please read this post and it will explain what I mean.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showt ... ss+skewers
Sorry it takes you of forum,
Ask anything you need
Cheers
Titch

tfx

Post by tfx » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:02 pm

I got one of the small ones from BBQ Aroma and love it.
http://www.bbqaroma.com.au/online/produ ... ki84f48tt7

Pros
Legs screw on and off with wingnuts and then can be stored all packed into the one parcel. You could use a bag but i just put the screws and bolts into a sanwich bag, legs into the trench and wrap the whole thing with gladwrap to store or pack for travel.
Cooks heaps of food for a little unit. Get a production line going with 1/3 areas. One hot, one moderate and one for coooked and ready to take (never had raw meat on it). You will rarely want to eat all at once. The beauty is the heat of fresh from the coals skewers. Cooked can sit back over hot for a fw seconds to refresh.
The small ones stainless parts fit into the dishwasher.
Needs only about 2 coke cans volume of fuel for a cook - good use for bag shrapnel. As it dies down use a stick to rake remaining embers into one end and keep the same heat level toward the end.
A great social cook. Often share with a crowd and some beers or have a few cold ones on my balcony and relax. Latecomers can add their own when they want more.

Cons
The top railings are chromed not stainless so eventually may need a quick fabrication to replace one day. Maybe.
Has a few sharp edges but nothing too serious
People eat more than they think. When you make a box up they always carry on but there is rarely any leftovers.

Tips
Have a small spray bottle of water ready for flare ups.
Set out an empty softdrink bottle for used skewers. Hint heavily that thats where they go and cleanup is a breeze.
For satay have found packet mix from asian grocer great value and easy. Use a tall cup (frozen coke cup) and dip the skewers into a marinade then into an icecream bucket point to point so they stand up. If you can keep the sticks handles clean you will be going well. Another tall cup for the separate dipping sauce is a good idea.
Use coconut powder to make a thick coconut cream (using less water than reccomended) for the marinade. Less drips and a stronger flavour/crust. Silicone marinade brush handy. Use for first turn only to ensure no cross contamination.
Buy a kebab box. The BBQ aroma one works well for satays if you make half the cuts (every second) down one side you get two stick kebabs that sit flat, don't roll and offer back up to the occaisional one that burns. Makes 50 this way from 2.8 kilo of thigh. 100 arrosticini if you make every cut.
Ask you butcher for 2.8 kilo of thigh bashed out or tenderised and there isnt much work.
The sticks are easiest to put in if you start central and spiral outwards. Cheap at asian grocer and need thorough soaking before use.
Last edited by tfx on Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.